Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about Georgetown ice racing (i.e. this thread), and am planning on it sometime this winter, but...

Does anyone know of a lake we can just get out on a drive around a bit?
Back up in Minnesota, everything was frozen over for many months, and there were a few lakes in and around the Twin Cities area that were open to driving on.

Of course there were the racing places and the lakes that were good for fishing, but we would sometimes just go out there to play around with driving on the ice too, and it would be cool to find a place like that around here.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
If you show up on their practice days (a couple of fridays per year) you can play around as much as you want. it's a good time :)

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Not to be a wet blanket, but... be careful and perhaps do a little cost/benefit analysis if you know what I mean...

This ain't Minny. And many a dumbass has put his Jeep into Grand Lake... probably other lakes too...

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to be a wet blanket, but... be careful and perhaps do a little cost/benefit analysis if you know what I mean...

This ain't Minny. And many a dumbass has put his Jeep into Grand Lake... probably other lakes too...
Ha ha, ya, I totally know what you mean, and, from experience (that is, hearing about it, reading about it later, seeing it happen, but not me doing it), I would never just roll out onto a lake cause it looked nice or whatever.

I would only go out where others were obviously already rolling and where the thickness had already been tested in multiple locations and found to be beyond recommended thickness for the given vehicle types/weights.

In the case of the races on the Georgetown Res., although I haven't read all of the details yet, I am assuming that they probably have some kind of waiver that participants must sign before taking part, but I'm not sure.....but in such cases, the waiver is for the fact that, even with tests being performed properly, there is still some chance of ice cracking and vehicles going into the water and being lost (etc, etc).

So, yes, for the purposes of this thread, we should just assume all 'proper' precautions and processes (whatever they are) will be followed by whomever decides to take part in any ice driving.

All I'm trying to do here is find places that people know of where this kind of activity takes place (I will make sure to do my own homework before I even consider driving out there).

Thanks for bringing up this issue though, bro. I sincerely appreciate it. We can never be too careful ...it's just not possible.

:cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^exactly

ya' never know what 18 year old is reading this and thinking "Geee!..."
Indeed.
However.....ya know what?......I can't be responsible for whatever stupid $h!t any other human out there is going to get into based on a thread that I create where I'm simply asking about other places in Colorado where people can go driving on a frozen lake in the winter.

If I asked about places where people can go shooting for target practice, would I really have to post up all of the necessary disclaimers about gun safety? Seriously. [as any good libertarian as yourself should know] People have to be responsible for their own actions.

Again, as I already said, I totally appreciate you bringing that issue up, but this is just a request for info.......not a prescription for any kind of activity.

:hang-loose:

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I don't think a single car's fallen through Georgetown lake... since I've lived up here anyways. Our Town Government manages permits for the lake use. Yesterday all of our law enforcement were practicing on the lake :rocker:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Whatever frozen lake activities I get into, I can say for sure there will be none of this...

... or this...

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, cool.
Thanks, Lee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts