Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
73 FJ40 TLC

This TLC is located in Calgary, Alberta and my asking price is $5500, but I'm open to reasonable offers. Basically, it's just been gathering dust in my garage for 3+ years, as I haven’t had any time to play with it (and that doesn’t look to be changing in the near future). For the pictures here, I just drove it out of the garage and hosed it down. I should comment that the truck is not a restoration and has minor bumps and dents (for those that are looking for a showroom masterpiece).

Truck was rebuilt by Wayne at crushersrule.com (see the rebuild and sold links for the Mountain Goat) – it has a 2F motor, 5 speed manual, 4:11 diffs, 3" lift, 33" BFGs, power brakes, front disc brakes, and power steering. Sheet steel was used to replace the rusted sections of the body.

Some of the extras:
  • Powder coated custom bush bar, with matching rims and headlight bezel.
  • New soft top (Spector), plus safari top and hard doors, soft doors and hard half doors.
  • Fibreglass tailgate (SS hinges).
  • Dual batteries, Warn winch.
  • Electronic ignition (points replacement), plus replaced hoses, plugs/wires, brakes, voltage regulator, bushings, outer tie-rod ends, H4 headlights and new synthetic fluids in the diffs, transfer case and transmission.
Colour is Freeborn Red (dupont centari acrylic enamel code freeborn red T-309) with light coating of sand coloured bed liner in interior. Replaced many of the normal carbon steel bolts with stainless steel bolts.

Truck is clean of rust on the frame and body/fenders. Running boards have some rust-through, but have been covered with a heavy wire mesh and painted black (it’s hard to see).

Mechanical is all the best of the early Landcruisers. This is what I know of the donor vehicles:
  • Motor - 2F is from a 1978 FJ45 (true mileage is unknown)
  • Transmission - H55F is from a 1986 HJ60
  • Front axle - is from a 1977 FJ55 (no locker)
  • Rear axle - is from a 1981 BJ42 (lincoln locker)
  • Rear driveshaft - is a shortened 1982 BJ60
  • Transfer case - 1982 BJ42
  • Windshield - 1978 FJ40
  • Wiper motor - 1975-78 FJ40
  • Heater fan motor & housing - 1977 FJ40
  • Radiator - BJ42
  • Power Steering - 84 Toyota hard axle 4x4 pick-up truck
  • Everything else is 1973 FJ40
Work to be done:
  • carb set up - it runs rich & idles rough until warm
  • replace front heater fan (bearings seem to be going – intermittent issue which went away for a while when I replaced the batteries - have got a used replacement fan, just haven't installed it)
  • minor electrical - gages (oil - stopped working, temp - reversed)
Questions? Drop a note to [email protected] - thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Glad to see that it has finally come out of hibernation.
You should really try driving it!

BTW - Although the poster is a newbie - I know the seller Bill Watts - stand up type of guy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind words Colin - love to take it out, but I'm running at least one hobby too many! Something has to go (darnit).

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
if i had the money, i would be all over it

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Does anyone know if this is sold?

Looks to be a pretty clean Fj40

1 - 6 of 6 Posts