Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

FS (Houston): Rebuilt Marlin Lefty Case (Chormoly 23 spline 4Lo gears and more)

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  FJNewb 
#1 · (Edited)
SOLDB]

Long story behind the case, but I purchased it from Inchworm and had to 4Lo gear set strip out on me at WTF last year (combination of Marlin & TGs in it). Jim at Inchworm wouldn't warrenty the case (even though it was within the warrenty period), so I worked with Marlin towards an alternate solution. I bought a 23 spline chromoly 4Lo gear set and upgraded the front output shaft to a 30spline chromoly as well.

I bought another Marlin case with the exact same configuration (30 Spline chromoly front and rear outputs, 23 splline chromoly 4Lo gear sets) to keep my FJ up and running while Marlin rebuilt the blue inchworm case. Anyways I'm now planning on selling the blue inchworm case which Marlin rebuilt...it has zero miles on it since the rebuild and has been sitting in my house since January. Had originally planned to use it as a spare, but am now going a different route.

Asking $2200 for the case & interface plate (tranny to transfercase).

Cost of ordering from Marlin direct.

Lefty Case (30 Spline chromoly rear output) with XD Gears: $2000
Chromoly 30 Spline Front Output: $245
Upgrade to Chromoly 23 Spline 4Lo: $150
Interface plate: $400
------------------------
Total: ~$2800.00

Savings of $600...currently Marlin's out of stock on the 23 Spline Chromoly gears and has no information on when they will be back in stock (been that was since last October). So this is one of the few cases that has them. Still at $200 cheaper than you can get a Marlin case with the lower grade gears.

Perfer local pickup, so I figured I'd post it up for the TX folks first.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you do "lay-a-way"?:lol::lol::lol:

#5 ·
Hmmm... How to buy and make it look like a business expense to my wife...:thinkerg:

I kid.:lol:

#6 ·
OMG :roller: That's hilarious.

#7 ·
Digger (and anyone else who is interested) - to use this case on a MT you'd need to order a MT adaptor plate (I believe - still trying to confirm from Marlin that his plates bolt pattern isn't setup to interface with both AT & MT - I know Inchworms isn't). It would come with a new coupler with the correct spline count for a MT. Only other item you might night is the speed sensor added to the TC (although I do have another lefty which I will be selling in a month or two that has that sensor).

All in all that is about $500 in parts (but you can knock about $400 off since you wouldn't need the AT interface plate). If the plate I have is compatiable with MT's as well you'd only need another $50 speed sensor (or wait till I pull the other case off my truck).

#8 ·
Your selling both Lefty's? What do you have now... a Righty?:lol:

I kid... Just couldnt help myself

:cheers:

#9 ·
Needed something in between the 4.7 and 1:1 ratio since my current build is a cross between higher speed stuff and something that can still do the technical trails.

Went with this instead.

But it will require some serious modifications to the floor to get it to fit and keep everything up close to the frame rails. After seeing the clearance advantage that the lefty had, I don't want to clock this thing and have it hanging below the OEM tank.

#11 ·
Man, wish I had the dinero, I'd be all over this...

Someone's gonna get a great deal!

#13 ·
Jim @ Inchworm said - it'd Bud's problem (Ordered through Budbuilt and it was drop shipped from Inchworm) not his (as if Bud built this case). Said he'd have to charger labor for the rebuild and that he'd only warrenty the gears. Basically a worthless warrenty imo (case has no warrenty) the gear mfg. warrenty their own gears....didn't align with what Jim advertised and I thought him blaming it on Bud was rediculous.

I'd rather pay more to get the issue corrected elsewhere than deal with poor customer service like that.

#17 ·
Brian, do you know if this will be a bolt in as well for the tacoma and 4runner crowd? If so, that might open up your available market and forums you can post this on as well. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.