Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who is interested in doing a Metal Tech 3 Link Rear End for added travel and articulation, I'll be selling one in the coming weeks. Never used, other than for mock up on the FJ.

$1400 + Shipping and you get the following:

Metal Tech 3 Link Kit (Links)
Metal Tech Springs
Sway A Way 14" Shocks
Shock Hoops for 14" Shocks
Daystar Rear Spacer Lift to adjust ride height a bit since the springs are a lower rate.

Some photos of a MT 3 Link in action on SouthTexasCruisers FJ

·
Registered
790 Posts
wow Great pics. GLWS!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
That is awesome!! I wish I could afford to put a 3 link rear on my FJ! How does it handle everyday driving conditions? My FJ is my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mines been on the shop lift since February, so I haven't got to drive it yet. Only reason I'm switching links is so that all my joints are the same, rather than bushings & uniballs....no issue with the Metal Tech links at all, just wanted to be able to carry a single spare heim instead of spare bushings and uniballs. Trying to minimize the amount of spares all around.

Those photos are from SouthTexasCruisers FJ with the Metal Tech 3 link kit. It works well as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures fo the links and stuff in place on my FJ. Never actually used...just setup for fitment.

Decided to cut into the body and go with coilovers before the FJ ever got off the lift...thats why I'm selling this as a kit.

14" shock and shock hoops are included as well...just didn't have pictures of them above.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Does this change the ride height? Do you think adding taller coils would allow it to sit up about 6" to match a crossmember drop lift in the front?

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The spring you run determines the ride height. With the spring and spacers on the rear I was between 3-4" lift on the rear end.

If running a 6" lift coild, you'd position the links slightly differently (geometry would be different), but everything should work. You'd end up with a more balanced distribution of uptravel vs. down travel - probably closer to 50-50. You'd also need to make sure the 6" coil would allow for enough flex (not too high of a spring rate), but thats just part of the fabrication process and can easily be addressed if not.

If you've got access to the coil measure the thickness of the coil itself, the number of coils, and the free height and you can see how much travel it'd allow. A custom coil isn't too hard to get ahold of either.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:lol: No worries. It might be around for awhile as I'm not really in a huge rush to sell it. Worst comes to worst I'll sell the shocks elsewhere and the remaining stuff on here. Sit on the links until someone else decides to go this route.

Let me know when you are ready :rofl::cheers:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts