Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For right now I have the stock tire rack and rear bumper along with the stock roof rack. Any suggestions on good spare gas cans that would work with that stock roof rack or do you just keep cans inside? I have seen some that are very low profile that would secure to the roof rack, but not sure if anyone has done that.

Rotopax fuel cans are the ones I am talking about btw.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I am going with the Rotopax fuel "cans" to take with me to the FJ Summit....

I like the low-profile fit, can put up on the roof rack and not worry about height issues.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going with the Rotopax fuel "cans" to take with me to the FJ Summit....

I like the low-profile fit, can put up on the roof rack and not worry about height issues.

Actually it was one of your posts that lead me to look at them!:rocker:

I was just curious if there was any other variations, but it looks like the way I'm going too.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Actually it was one of your posts that lead me to look at them!:rocker:

I was just curious if there was any other variations, but it looks like the way I'm going too.
Awesome! Will you be at the Summit this year? If so, make sure to look me up!

2010 TT, North Carolina license plate "PA-NATIV".

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I would say Scepter but I know how hard they are to come by in the US. They are approved for transport via air, sea or land - full or empty. They do not leak.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would say Scepter but I know how hard they are to come by in the US. They are approved for transport via air, sea or land - full or empty. They do not leak.
Scepter or Wedco metal cans.

I have way too many of each, haha.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Scepter or Wedco metal cans.

I have way too many of each, haha.
Yeah, Scepter would be nice....if you could get the complete setup here in the US.....but the enviromentalists kill that dream...... :)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Yeah, Scepter would be nice....if you could get the complete setup here in the US.....but the enviromentalists kill that dream...... :)
I bought 3 on ebay.

You still can i believe, you just need to have it shipped to someone you know in a state where they are legal.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Get some good ol'fashioned reliable U.S. mil spec 5 gal fuel cans! I know some people will argue they aren't "legal" anymore, they are still easy to find and cheap. I saw the rotopax ones and even though they are ingenoiusly designed they are really pricey for the minimal amt of fuel they hold.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have 2 plastic 5 gallon WEDCO cans that i plan on building my own
NON-CARB spouts for. They seem like pretty heavy gauge cans for plastic. Much thicker then the BLITZ cans i also have.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! Will you be at the Summit this year? If so, make sure to look me up!

2010 TT, North Carolina license plate "PA-NATIV".

Not sure on the Summit yet. My job has me on a short leash. :mecry:
I hope so though, because I do need a vacation!

If you get those soon, I'd like to see them mounted. I was looking at two of the 4 gallon setups. Was that that you were planning?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get some good ol'fashioned reliable U.S. mil spec 5 gal fuel cans! I know some people will argue they aren't "legal" anymore, they are still easy to find and cheap. I saw the rotopax ones and even though they are ingenoiusly designed they are really pricey for the minimal amt of fuel they hold.
I thought of that that as well, but back in motorcycle racing days we used them and if they got laid on their side for any length of time they always leaked. Maybe not if I could get new ones?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I thought of that that as well, but back in motorcycle racing days we used them and if they got laid on their side for any length of time they always leaked. Maybe not if I could get new ones?
I have two red Wedco metal cans and i have always laid them on their sides in the roof rack and never had a single leak.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
The Rotopax are sweet but too pricey IMO. This is what I use:

I secure it using two tie down straps, and start my siphon by pressurizing with my co2.

IMG_2487 by cnckart, on Flickr

IMG_2432 by cnckart, on Flickr

It's about a $100 investment. I am more than pleased with the way it works.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
^^^For the money that sure seems like the way to go for a roof mount. Well-secured, ample capacity, gravity-fed (once you get it started), and very cost-effective. Nice and simple, just like all the best solutions tend to be.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If you get the chance, could you show me the fuel line setup that you use to fill the tank, and how you pressurize it to start the siphon?

Thanks!
Safety siphon

1 - 20 of 34 Posts