Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I noticed the FJ does not have a fuel consumption instrument (at least my version). I've read about the Scangauge II... is it worth it? I'd like to collect statistics about usage of my vehicle. The best anyway would be an instrument that can download data on a laptop...

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you have a windoze laptop, all you need is one of the interface modules based on the ELM327, and the software that I just wrote. I have it setup to calculate mileage (instantaneous and average) and display it as data or on a performance graph along with speed and rpm's. It also builds a csv file so you can import the data into a spreadsheet.
Let me know and I'll send a zip file for you to try.

There are also some commercial S/W packages out there but I don't think any of the cheaps one do nearly what mine does.

I'll warn you though, watching the graph while driving is really distracting/unsafe.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a windoze laptop, all you need is one of the interface modules based on the ELM327, and the software that I just wrote.
Well I have a windows virtual machine ;)

I have it setup to calculate mileage (instantaneous and average) and display it as data or on a performance graph along with speed and rpm's. It also builds a csv file so you can import the data into a spreadsheet.
Ok, the usage I had in mind was to download every month or so data from the device, not a "realtime" usage ;)

If I understand correctly you connect the car itself to the computer and collect data, right? I'd prefer to have a device like the Scangauge for realtime monitoring and data collection...

By the way: is the interface hard to reach? Where is the connector? Do I have to open up the dashboard?

thank you
Alessio

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The scanguage would def. be worth the money, it not only monitors your mpg, but it also show error codes, and other engine monitors!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
413 Posts
ScanGage will give instant, and averages. It's very good, and easy to plug in (port is behind panel fuse box, and very easy to just plug into).

However, the ScanGage has no output capability, so you could not connect it to your PC. The software & interace for a PC would be the way to go if you absolutely have to have it on the PC.

I will tell you, that the Scangage reports anywhere from 1.6 to 80 mpg. Low end, is starting up from a stop. High end, is coasting initially. After a short time, it goes to 9999 I guess when no gas is being fed, like down a steep hill.

And, even with just normal slight inclines in road for minor hills, a typical 22 mpg can vary quite a bit. Like uphill could easily be 14-15, at crest 22, and downhill 28-30 mpg. If your whole trip is like this, you might see about a 20-22 mpg average. That's why looking at the SG too much can be distracting and not very productive.

Hope this rambling info helps you decide which way to go. And yes, SG gives error code into (incomprehensible codes), clears codes, and has trip, today, yesterday, and tank information on mpg, max speed, etc.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ScanGage will give instant, and averages. It's very good, and easy to plug in (port is behind panel fuse box, and very easy to just plug into).
Thanks for the explanation. I think I am going to buy this device, but is this the only device on the market for this purpose? Any preferred online shop that I can get it for cheap?

Thank you
Alessio

·
Registered
413 Posts
Many places sell them, and here are two:

1. Demello Offroad (forum sponsor),
2. Amazon.com Search for ScanGage.

You want the ScanGage II (been out over a year). Expect to pay around $159, plus possibly shipping.

You won't be disappointed!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would support a forum vendor rather than amazon personally. I bought mine from Larry at dirty parts.(pm cruiserlarry)

Or demello, i didn't know they had them as well.

It may not be the only one on the market (it is as far as i know though), but it is the one that the majority of people use.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Oops, forgot to answer your first question. There are a couple others that are similar, however the ScanGage is the most affordable, and has the widest selection of features. There is some other one, I forget the name, which is over $300 and has a couple more bells and whistles, but I think you will be happy with the SG. Besides, it just plugs in, and may do all you wind up wanting. Because it just plugs in, it can be unplugged and used in another vehicle temporarily or permanently. Works on nearly every vehicle 1996 or newer.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Well I have a windows virtual machine ;)

Ok, the usage I had in mind was to download every month or so data from the device, not a "realtime" usage ;)

If I understand correctly you connect the car itself to the computer and collect data, right? I'd prefer to have a device like the Scangauge for realtime monitoring and data collection...

By the way: is the interface hard to reach? Where is the connector? Do I have to open up the dashboard?

thank you
Alessio
Yup the scanguage is great and all. Easy install, no extra hardware - pretty tough to beat. Until you want to do more...

The Elm327 interface (about $100) connects to the OBDII plug up under the left side of the dash, just like the scanguage. There's a little black plastic cover on it. It looks like a swollen DB9 shell.

What I sm offering is a free program that runs on your laptop or CarPC to do all that, and graph the output in real time, and save the data to a csv file for further analysis. I don't know of another app that will log all the data for you.

It is also a general purpose program to read trouble codes and reset the check engine light.
Plus it can monitor and log all the known sensors on our FJ's (like cat temps, intake settings, etc).

I'll package it up in an installer and get some screen shots so if anyone is interested they can use it.

I don't have a web site at the moment, so I need someone to host it for downloads.. Anyone interested.?

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
DashHawk is another, similar device to the ScanGauge. Different but similar. DEWFPO

·
Registered
961 Posts
Well I hope you will opensource it, just use a site like sourceforge.net then!
I thought about that, but since I used some uncommon tools to build it, it's sort of a moot point. I am considering a freeware download and using google ads to make a bit of coin. Guess I have to get on it and find a cheap hosting service.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am considering a freeware download and using google ads to make a bit of coin.
Well this is not incompatible with the GPL or other free or opensource license.

Anyway, let us know when you're ready... and put some information / photos of the hardware installation :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bartt, I'd be interested in your product. Could it work on and Eepc or an older Laptop running XP or even W2K?

I have the scangauge and am very pleased with it. I have it mounted on the dash in front of the left speaker with velcro. It is nearly in my line of sight so I can watch it in normal driving and am trying to train my foot to be friendlier.

However, I would like to be able to graph and store performance info as I begin my mods. So if I could use a mini or older pc that is less expensive, that would be great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just had to take my FJ in because I had the check engine along with a few other lights come on. About 15 minutes after I dropped it off the tech called me and said he could not plug their computer in because my aftermarket device (scangage II) was plugged into the port. I told him to just unplug it because it would not affect anything. Later that day the delearship called and said that the cat converter was bad and they would only repair the problem one time under warrenty because of the questionable aftermarket device I had hooked up. When I asked them how they came to the conclusion that my scangage (which pretty much just reads out gas mileage) caused my cat converter to go bad they claimed they called "The Engineers" in California and they said they had had problems with this device before. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just had to take my FJ in because I had the check engine along with a few other lights come on. About 15 minutes after I dropped it off the tech called me and said he could not plug their computer in because my aftermarket device (scangage II) was plugged into the port. I told him to just unplug it because it would not affect anything. Later that day the delearship called and said that the cat converter was bad and they would only repair the problem one time under warrenty because of the questionable aftermarket device I had hooked up. When I asked them how they came to the conclusion that my scangage (which pretty much just reads out gas mileage) caused my cat converter to go bad they claimed they called "The Engineers" in California and they said they had had problems with this device before. Has anyone else had this problem?
That is a load of BS.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
That is a load of BS.
I agree. The ScanGauge can't make anything go bad. It just shows you what the things supported by the OBDII are doing. I smell a rat at this dealership.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts