Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Compared to FJs sold in other parts of the world, FJs sold in the US and Canada were heavily "de-contented": smaller radiator, absurdly small fuel tank, no engine oil, transmission fluid, or power-steering fluid coolers, no latching fuel door, no fine fuel filter, etc.

The fuel pump does have a plastic mesh screen, but this does nothing for the fine particles that eventually wear out fuel injectors and fuel pump bearings.

So, I decided to try to install the OEM fine fuel filter arrangement used on rest-of-world FJs on my '14 US-spec truck. Looking at various Toyota parts diagrams, it looked like an easy bolt-on task, and I ordered what I thought were all the required bits: filter and mounting bracket, hoses, clamps, hardware, etc.

However, once everything arrived, it's not looking quite as straight-forward as I hoped.

In the '14 US-spec model, two steel fuel lines run from the fuel tank forward to the engine bay, the fuel pressure feed and the fuel return line. These lines have the swaged-in collars that the quick-disconnect fitting lock onto. I'm pretty sure (?) this is common to all '10+ FJs. (Some earlier filter setups apparently did not use the quick-disconnect fittings, just rubber hose & pinch clamps.)

These steel lines terminate just in front of the brake master cylinder. Two plastic fuel lines with snap-on quick-disconnect fuel couplers connect to the steel lines, and are routed around the rear of the engine where they connect to the fuel distribution manifold that feeds the fuel injectors.

So far, I've run into two issues:

1. There are multiple unused holes in the left fender liner, behind the fuse box. Unfortunately, none of these line up with the three mounting holes on the fuel filter bracket. On one of the parts diagrams I found, there appears to be a small adapter plate that fits between the fender liner and the filter mounting bracket. Could someone who has the OEM filter on a '10+ FJ take a close look and see if there is an adapter plate under the filter? A photo or two would would be very helpful.

2. I received the two plastic fuel fuel lines that connect to the fuel manifold. One of these connects to the top of the fuel filter, and runs to the manifold (see diagram below). However, I have not been able to find an illustration of, or a part number for, the fuel line that connects from the steel fuel feed line to the BOTTOM of the fuel filter. This too will need to have quick-disconnect fittings at both ends.

Can anyone who has the fuel filter setup take some photos of whatever type of fuel line connects to the BOTTOM tube of the fuel filter?

Reaching out especially to @bazross, @amaclach, @Cloggy, and any other Oz or GCC FJ owners ...

Photo 1: Fuel filter and associated plumbing. Note that the fuel feed hose connecting to the BOTTOM of the fuel filter is not shown ... this is what I'm missing.

Photo 2: This shows the general location of where the fuel filter mounts, and of the two fuel hoses running vertically. The driver module for the air injection system used on '13 and '14 US-spec models is bolted where the filter needs to go, but this has a long harness and is easily relocated.

Photo 3: This close-up shows the two vertical black plastic fuel lines where they are connected to the steel lines. The quock-disconnect couplings are further secured by clip-on plastic safety clamps, one black, and one translucent white. The third vertical line to the left is a vent line related to fuel tank venting.

Photo 4: This shows the fuel filter just sitting on the fender liner behind the fuse box, near where it needs to be mounted, with the air injection driver moved out of the way.

Photo 5: Here is the filter with a small adapter plate under the filter mounting bracket, and also what appears to be some connection to the bottom (inlet?) tube on the fuel filter. But there is no part number ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Wow, I hope this works out for you without too much custom work required.

However, since the vapor recovery side of the fuel system is massively different (NA spec vs. GCC/AUS spec), with not only differently located and sized components but also different diameter hoses, connectors and everything else, I am concerned that the supply side will turn out to be that much different as well. You may find you'll have to fabricate something custom to make an inline filter from there, fit a truck from here.

Might end up being easier buying a generic one from someplace like Summit Racing, or similar.

Hopefully, once photos are available it may turn out to be not too difficult, after all!

BTW, why do you need a filter? If you haven't had clogged injectors, and are not planning on extended driving in Mexico or other places with possibly sketchy fuel supply, there may not be much need.

N

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
G'Day FJT,
working on getting some pics, and info together for you.
The 2nd filter was only OE fitment from about 2013 when dual tanks became standard too.
My 2011 J, didnt have a 2nd filter initially, and was only retro fitted at the 80Km service, so its likely a little different to factory fitted.... not by much...
and more likely in line with US spec ....
I'll get some pixs etc... later today

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
G'Day FJT,
Had a quick look at mine...
There is definitely a sub mounting bracket under the filter assy.
The part number appears to be
23211F BRACKET
23264-31011

But it maybe be a challenge to source this separately, as its sold as part of the kit, for the +2010 - 2013 models, I think...
I can ask my mate if its available
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I hope this works out for you without too much custom work required.

However, since the vapor recovery side of the fuel system is massively different (NA spec vs. GCC/AUS spec), with not only differently located and sized components but also different diameter hoses, connectors and everything else, I am concerned that the supply side will turn out to be that much different as well. You may find you'll have to fabricate something custom to make an inline filter from there, fit a truck from here.

Might end up being easier buying a generic one from someplace like Summit Racing, or similar.

Hopefully, once photos are available it may turn out to be not too difficult, after all!

BTW, why do you need a filter? If you haven't had clogged injectors, and are not planning on extended driving in Mexico or other places with possibly sketchy fuel supply, there may not be much need.

N
Norm - (Is that a 356 Porsche?)

Granted the vapor recovery systems are very different, but the fuel supply system (pump, injectors, fuel manifold, pressure regulator & plumbing) appear to be identical. I wouldn't have gone to the effort unless I had done enough research to indicate it was going to be feasible, using all OEM Toyota parts.

I've got two 3rd-gen 4Runners with just under 250K miles on each that run flawlessly, the injectors have never been serviced in any way, and they have the OEM replaceable in-line fine fuel filters that are pretty much standard fitment on every ruggedized fuel injected vehicle on the planet.

So I'd just feel better if those close-tolerance injectors were protected from abrasive grit circulating in the fuel, and at some point I may decide to take the truck deep into Mexico where fuel contamination is a known risk.

I'm still confident that this is feasible.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G'Day FJT,
Had a quick look at mine...
There is definitely a sub mounting bracket under the filter assy.
The part number appears to be
23211F BRACKET
23264-31011

But it maybe be a challenge to source this separately, as its sold as part of the kit, for the +2010 - 2013 models, I think...
I can ask my mate if its available
Cheers
Baz
Baz -

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, that is the same P/N I found for the little filter mount adapter plate, and I believe that it is available separately.

The task that has me stumped at the moment is finding the part number for the hose that connects to the bottom of the fuel filter can. I'm assuming that this connects directly to the steel fuel supply line directly in front of the brake booster unit.

Again, photos of how the filter assembly is mounted to the fender, and of the plumbing at the bottom of the fuel filter will (hopefully) tell the whole story.

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
Baz -

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, that is the same P/N I found for the little filter mount adapter plate, and I believe that it is available separately.

The task that has me stumped at the moment is finding the part number for the hose that connects to the bottom of the fuel filter can. I'm assuming that this connects directly to the steel fuel supply line directly in front of the brake booster unit.

Again, photos of how the filter assembly is mounted to the fender, and of the plumbing at the bottom of the fuel filter will (hopefully) tell the whole story.
G'Day FJT,
OK, understand... yes looking at all my diagrams etc... it doesn't seem to list a separate part for the soft tube and connector, almost like its part of the hard tube assy ....
Here is a simplified diagram of it
I'll go have a good look at mine....

Cheers
Baz

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
G'day FJT,
Here are some pixs.... excuse the dirt...

Its feels like the main fuel line is a hard line with a outer rubber sheath, more than a rubber hose
Pixs aren't great, sorry.... but may help...
I think the fuel line wasn't altered or added too ...it was always a hard line with sealing connector...and the lower fuel filter tube simply clips into the end of the line..thats how its looks to me.....
Makes sense to me, that Yoda, kept it as simple as possible - to make dealer fitment as simple as possible
As DU most dealers were refusing to drop the tank to change the mesh screen....this was the work around to start with.
maybe .... hahaha

cheers
Baz

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
G'Day FJT,
In this diagram.
there is an arrow pointing down under the 23211F part ...pointing to the end of the fuel line at the bottom. with connector on the fuel line....
makes me think, this is all factory fitted stock..... and the filter just plugs into it
Cheers
Baz

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
6,640 Posts
Hi guys - I've been away a bit lately and just spotted the mention. I'll get some pics of my stock setup later today and add them.
Possibly the bracket is related to the under-hood charcoal filter assy?
I'll confirm that later though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts