Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So the fuel gauge works fine up until 1/4. Not a huge issue. I just keep it above there and all is
well.

So far I have replaced the fuel pump assembly and problem persists. I can only assume the issue is in the cluster. To get the gauge replaced or buy new cluster with similar mileage is like 200.

I did a quick search and I found out about the pro-gauge which seems to be a viable solution for cheaper.

Came from modifying JDM cars and remember the accessport from COBB. Is it similar to that without the tuning function? Simply a heads up display?
Is my thinking off base by concluding with the cluster?
Anyone have any good ideas on mounting or the option I should get?
Could the problem persist in with the pro gauge?

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Take it on some whoop-de-doops, washboards and a California freeway. That will loosen up the tank float.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
it is interesting that problem persisted even after having replaced the entire pump assembly, because searching on here for all of the other cases where the fuel gauge got stuck at 1/4, it was the sender in the pump assembly that was causing it

·
Premium Member
14'FJ, Bilstein 6112/5160, SPC UCA's, Spod BantamX, 285 70 Toyo AT3, just getting started ;)
160 Posts
Did i just read that correctly?

To get the gauge replaced or buy new cluster with similar mileage is like 200.

So you can buy a cluster with less miles on it, slap it in the truck and increse the trucks value?

Just a general ? Obvioisly not suggesting that's whats happening here.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
"So far I have replaced the fuel pump assembly"

Please clarify - when you say "the fuel pump assembly", you mean the entire in-tank module, consisting of fuel pump, fine filter, pump inlet screen, and fuel level float and sender?

If so, was this an OEM Toyota module, or an aftermarket module?

I think the the probability is low that the gauge in the instrument cluster has 'failed'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"So far I have replaced the fuel pump assembly"

Please clarify - when you say "the fuel pump assembly", you mean the entire in-tank module, consisting of fuel pump, fine filter, pump inlet screen, and fuel level float and sender?

If so, was this an OEM Toyota module, or an aftermarket module?

I think the the probability is low that the gauge in the instrument cluster has 'failed'.
yes sorry fuel pump assembly entire sending unit. Pump, filter, float, the whole 9 yards. It was what I would call a good aftermarket. Delphi unit.
I have used them in many cars. Never any issues could this potentially be remedied by an oem unit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did i just read that correctly?

To get the gauge replaced or buy new cluster with similar mileage is like 200.

So you can buy a cluster with less miles on it, slap it in the truck and increse the trucks value?

Just a general ? Obvioisly not suggesting that's whats happening here.
i thought about just buying one with low mileage. But. Being that I just bought the vehicle. They have record of my last reported mileage which is like 2k ago. So very small window unless I go higher obviously which defeats the purpose.
CA DMV sucks

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,844 Posts
The sender dailing seems to be a fairly common occurance. My gauge no longer shows below 1/4 tank and I ran out of fuel with it showing around 1/3 tank, this was on a 2014 with low miles. I simply reset the trip when I fuel up and work from that, the cost to do anything else isn’t justified in my mind. I do have a new sender that I will get the dealer to fit when (and if) I ever get the pump recall completed.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
OBD2 Ultragauge will report remaining fuel very accurately. You just need to reset at fill up. Mine has 1/2 gallon accuracy, which is more than I expected from fuel pumps.

... and you will get all the other OBD2 features.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OBD2 Ultragauge will report remaining fuel very accurately. You just need to reset at fill up. Mine has 1/2 gallon accuracy, which is more than I expected from fuel pumps.

... and you will get all the other OBD2 features.
I second that.. my ultragauge is super accurate and well worth the money. I bought the one that didn’t do transmission temp and wish I had bought the one that did. Other than that, super happy with it.

BTW..I was having the same issue with my fuel gauge and it magically started working again one day. The ultragauge is to be sure.. I got stuck on the side of the freeway the first time my gas gauge got stuck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you checked your VIN against Toyota website? Toyota recall 20TA02 replaces the fuel pump assembly within the fuel tank on FJ's. I had mine replaced (2014) this past July when replacement fuel pump stock became available. I remember seeing a recent article on the forum. If recently replaced maybe a lose internal connection. If you replaced yours with a non-OEM they might have an issue...you will have to do some talking... Wont hurt to check.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my 2006 nissan titan(my fjs fine). I have had the fuel pump/assembly replaced (in the tank) didn't fix it?

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
"It was what I would call a good aftermarket. Delphi unit."

probably a bad part, I agree with FJTest the likelihood of the gauge failing is almost unheard of.
I would only ever consider using an OEM part for a job that doing twice would be a real hassle (dropping the tank, especially if paying a mechanic to do it).

If that pump is made by Denso, you can often buy such an OEM Denso part from from an auto parts store for far less than from a dealer.

"I fill up at half tank just to be safe" - you're kidding, right? that would require stopping to fill up, like, every 100 miles! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you checked your VIN against Toyota website? Toyota recall 20TA02 replaces the fuel pump assembly within the fuel tank on FJ's. I had mine replaced (2014) this past July when replacement fuel pump stock became available. I remember seeing a recent article on the forum. If recently replaced maybe a lose internal connection. If you replaced yours with a non-OEM they might have an issue...you will have to do some talking... Wont hurt to check.
I will have to look into that. Worse they can do is say no I suppose

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"It was what I would call a good aftermarket. Delphi unit."

probably a bad part, I agree with FJTest the likelihood of the gauge failing is almost unheard of.
I would only ever consider using an OEM part for a job that doing twice would be a real hassle (dropping the tank, especially if paying a mechanic to do it).

If that pump is made by Denso, you can often buy such an OEM Denso part from from an auto parts store for far less than from a dealer.

"I fill up at half tank just to be safe" - you're kidding, right? that would require stopping to fill up, like, every 100 miles! :)
Hmm. I suppose. I will likely end up doing the aftermarket gauge OBD2 thing for added readouts.

I have never had a problem with Delphi before. Across many different makes. I wonder why now. Just finicky I suppose.

·
Registered
120 Posts
just had my fuel pump assembly replaced this week on my 2012 (w/ just over 100K miles on it). my fuel gauge would go down to a quarter tank, then just stay there. got suspicious as i keep track of my mileage when i fill up the tank and was wondering why it seemed like i was getting way better gas mileage than usual. (when i thought i still had a quarter tank of gas when in reality i was close to empty.) figured out something was definitely wrong. got it done at my dealership. the parts weren't too bad, but the labor charges is what makes this repair not cheap. came out to around 600$. this job requires dropping of the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
I agree with FJTest the likelihood of the gauge failing is almost unheard of.
In the first few years gauges getting stuck was not unheard of. Get stuck at either ~ the 1/4 mark , on E and never move or pegged at full.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts