Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the fuel jugs like in the link below usually are used for atv's and dirt bikes. But for Christmas i ended up getting a pair (black color). To be honest they look cool and i also love the handles and the design used for straps. My question is, is there any rack i could get prerferably for the roof but if not for the rear bumper? Ive actually bought some heay duty bungee chords which was proably a mistake but i was going to fasten with, two bungees per fuel jug but ide feel safer with a rack i can use. Any help? Thanks.

5 Gallon Gas Fuel Jug Can USA MADE IncludesHOSE !!! - eBay (item 220597584457 end time Jan-24-11 07:48:03 PST)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lol: How did i not expect that coming?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
nice 'jugs'
Yeah, but when it plainly states up front "INCLUDES HOSE" I'm not going anywhere near that... :lol:

Seriously, though. The only expedition-type fuel can racks I've seen are for the NATO-style cans. These look like the 5gal square jugs we used in road-racing. I'd start searching the Auto Racing Supply sites (Pegasus, IO Port, SafeRacer, Etc). You're probably only gonna find something that mounts inside a trailer like this - RepublicDouble Fuel Jug Rack-SafeRacer
Of course the are no straps because the holder is so deep in the first place. In order to find something that really secures them I think you're gonna have to make something.

In either case, please share whatever you find! :cheers:

PS. Those really are some nice big black jugs, aren't they? :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Interestingly, upon clicking on the link and seeing the pictures, the first thing I did was hit the "enlarge" button. :rofl:

I don't want a gas can that I cannot confidently place on its side without fear of leaking. If I were using a rear jerry can rack these might be alright. If this company were wise, they would develop and market a rack for off-road users such as ourselves that could be mounted or bolted to tire carriers, bumpers, racks, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
PS. Those really are some nice big black jugs, aren't they? :lol:
With some big black jugs like that I could achieve my desire to drive deep into the jungle. I've had jungle fever for awhile now

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
These were a gift . Ide really like them on the roof rack but if you guys think laying them on there sides will be playing with fire, then ill say screw it and buy a rear bumper rack to throw them in and strap in sitting vertical. Whether they're for racing or not i like the look and style but you cant compare these to the original jerry cans thats for sure and i will be investign in those soon enough.

-Thanks for checking out my jugs

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I bet if you make it to summit people will be anxious to check out your rack and handle your jugs

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
These were a gift . I'd really like them on the roof rack but if you guys think laying them on there sides will be playing with fire, then ill say screw it and buy a rear bumper rack to throw them in and strap in sitting vertical. Whether they're for racing or not i like the look and style but you cant compare these to the original jerry cans thats for sure and i will be investign in those soon enough.

-Thanks for checking out my jugs
Yes... Upright is the breast way to store those puppies. Big 5gal honkers like that need to be held up straight and strapped down tight. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your rack. :rofl:

Yes, we will be wanting pictures...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, i should have changed the name for this thread to the comedic jug thread. I think im going with some wedco jerry cans with a nice rack. I have to unfortunetly return my black jugs. Its the breast way to go. Im looking at some jugs right now. Thanks guys for the laughs but seriously im switching my jugs out, ill post them up soon so get ready . :rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Cool. Looking forward to the pics. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with a dual upright can carrier bolted to my hitch cargo carrier or to spend the extra $$ for a Rotopax spare tire mount setup. The dual jerry cans would be cheaper and hold more gas per can. The Rotopax set is a pretty slick setup that isn't permanently mounted. Decisions, decisions.

THANK YOU for the all-day innuendo session.

You can have a free bump from me anytime... :clap:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:simmadown: Switawi that picture made my day!! Thanks slinger for the link, those look nice aswell but ide want atleast a couple 5 gallon cans. Your right they are pricey and for only one gallon hold but they look pretty durable and well made.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If anyone can help ide appreciate it, im looking for two 5 gallon cans in color black. I also need a rack that can hold the two cans on the stock roof rack. Hopefully something that can clamp securely onto the stock rack thats easy to remove. If the cans are bigger i want to lay them on there sides just so there not sticking up as much. There are smaller 5 gallon cans ive seen but havent found black yet. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
You can buy some nato cans and paint them black.

I don't know that i have ever seen black gas cans. Only water cans.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10-4 . Im still on the lookout. I will paint them black if i need to. What would you say is the best rack for the stock tack i could use? For everything i plan on spending about 200 or less.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
10-4 . Im still on the lookout. I will paint them black if i need to. What would you say is the best rack for the stock tack i could use? For everything i plan on spending about 200 or less.
I just laid down two scepters or wedcos flat and then ran some ratchet straps across them. They were pretty secure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good Layonn, have you posted pictures of how you did it? If not its np. I was going to check this stuff out while im online now im so anxious to get the cans and rack done i hope before the weeknd so i can go out by saturday.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Sounds good Layonn, have you posted pictures of how you did it? If not its np. I was going to check this stuff out while im online now im so anxious to get the cans and rack done i hope before the weeknd so i can go out by saturday.
Nah.
I just laid them flat, took the upper crossbar and moved it back so that it sandwiched the cans against the rear, and then threw two ratchet straps across the two tanks.

Should hold up for everything but a rollover or extended washboard roads. I don't see either so im good :)

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Gasoline cans swell a lot in the hot sun, especially black, plastic ones. Laying then on their sides (no matter how tight the cap) is almost asking for a problem to happen.

DEWFPO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts