Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota just put out a Recall of 2014 FJ Fuel Pumps for low pressure and may cause vehicle to stall.
Does anyone know if the 2014 has a different fuel pump than the 2007-2013's?

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Title
Safety Recall 20TA02 (Interim Notice 20TB02), Multiple Model and Model Years, Vehicle May Stall During Driving at Higher Speed
Status
Remedy Not Available

Description
The subject vehicles are equipped with a low-pressure fuel pump which may stop operating. If this were to occur, warning lights and messages may be displayed on the instrument panel, and the engine may run rough. This may result in a vehicle stall, and the vehicle may be unable to be restarted. If a vehicle stall occurs while driving at higher speeds, this could increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy
Toyota is currently preparing the remedy. When the remedy becomes available, any authorized Toyota dealers will replace the low-pressure fuel pump with an improved one FREE OF CHARGE.

Recall Date
January 12, 2020

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,564 Posts
The above link seems to be a news article.

here is the official site to check your vehicle.

This is going to be interesting...my FJ is listed so do I do battle to get that recall honoured here in the UK...

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
I just looked up the part numbers:
'06~'09 23220-50130 Fuel Pump
'10~'14 23220-31430 Fuel Pump

Regarding the '10~'14 the part number is the same, perhaps the older '10~'13 years simply "aged out" of the window to announce such things for?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I just looked up the part numbers:
'06~'09 23220-50130 Fuel Pump
'10~'14 23220-31430 Fuel Pump

Regarding the '10~'14 the part number is the same, perhaps the older '10~'13 years simply "aged out" of the window to announce such things for?
It surely is the same part, however the producer of that part number likely only flagged this problem with a specific lot number (production batch), which were likely only installed in the 2014 production - hence why neither 2010-2013, or 2015+ productions are affected.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I looked up mine for any recalls. The only open one was for the optional bumper lights because they were "too bright" as if that could really be a thing. 'They' should try standing in front of my FJ now.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
@Omo FJ might be interesting to check your VIN... though you’ll need to read Japanese. It‘s only listing 2014 for USA as no US FJs after that time but it shows other models past 2014
Checked mine in the JDM recall site, nothing listed for mine for now. I looked around on google, as far as is being said on the japanese news it’s only affecting US models.

For yours it might be a good idea to contact one of the bigger dealerships, I’d be very surprised if they didn’t honour it though as the dealer wouldn’t be paying for it anyway.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Officially, Safety Recall 20TA02 (Interim Notice 20TB02), NHTSA Recall 20V012

It's interesting that defective pumps were utilized from early September 2013 until mid-March 2019, quite a time span for either Toyota or their fuel pump supplier to NOT have detected a defective critical component.

In the USA, the VIN or license plate # can be checked at www.toyota.com/recall to determine if there are any applicable recalls.

Unfortunately, my '14 IS shown as being subject to the fuel pump recall.

Poor timing, as I had intended to head out to Death Valley or the Mojave Road while the weather was still nice and cool. Running solo, now I'm not so sure if that's a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Here is much more information about the fuel pumps from the NHTSA website:

After reading it carefully I found:

Apparently it took a combination of factors to reproduce the field condition, and of the 1.8Million vehicles affected (total possible population identified in the recall notice), 3225 claims have been received, or less than 0.2% (if I did my math right).

So, it is relatively rare, and in almost all of the cases occurred <20mph. But since there was a possibility that 3 cases might have been possible to happen at higher speed, they decided to issue a recall.

Interesting to read that even the returned failed field parts didn't 100% cause an issue, they required additional factors to cause it each time, and after engine restarting returned to normal operation.

The reason why most hybrid vehicles weren't included is because they have a built in failsafe driving mode which would prevent the >20mph loss of power.

N

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Here is much more information about the fuel pumps from the NHTSA website:

After reading it carefully I found:

Apparently it took a combination of factors to reproduce the field condition, and of the 1.8Million vehicles affected (total possible population identified in the recall notice), 3225 claims have been received, or less than 0.2% (if I did my math right).

So, it is relatively rare, and in almost all of the cases occurred <20mph. But since there was a possibility that 3 cases might have been possible to happen at higher speed, they decided to issue a recall.

Interesting to read that even the returned failed field parts didn't 100% cause an issue, they required additional factors to cause it each time, and after engine restarting returned to normal operation.

The reason why most hybrid vehicles weren't included is because they have a built in failsafe driving mode which would prevent the >20mph loss of power.

N
Yet another example of a critical mechanical component failing because it was designed as an inexpensive plastic part rather than a more expensive (but dimensionally stable) metal part.

Injection molded plastic impellers have a long history of catastrophic failure in both water pumps and fuel pumps.

Aside from perpetual exposure to gasoline, the pump components are exposed to all kinds of aggressive solvents and aromatics from fuel injection system cleaners that people (including me) regularly add to their fuel tanks.

The root cause analysis is interesting, noting difference in plastic density (wrong material used in some impellers, or lot-to-lot variations in the impeller material?), and the effects of exposure to "production solvent drying". This seems to imply that at some point the pumps may be functionally tested with fluid "A", and then cleaned/flushed with solvent "B" to remove all traces of the test fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Just checked my VIN. Mine is included. Does anyone know if this type of recall includes a free loaner car?

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Pretty sure it would not ... the dealer would not schedule a service visit until the replacement pumps were in-stock at the dealership, and dropping the fuel tank to replace the pump should take well under 2 hours.

The real question would be, will repair of premium Lexus vehicles be given priority over repair of lowly Toyota vehicles? Given the total number of vehicles affected (almost 1.5 million), pumps are likely to be in short supply for quite a while.

Or, do you go ahead and get the pump replaced immediately at your own cost, and seek reimbursement later, even if the original pump has not "failed"?

And, if you were to take the "replace-it-now" approach, is there any guarantee that replacement pumps currently in the Toyota supply chain do not have the same defect?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts