Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
UPDATE: According to the Toyota recall hot line, fuel pumps have been on national backorder since December, so no preemptive replacement of pumps, at least not with an OEM Denso pump from a Toyota dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
"And, if you were to take the "replace-it-now" approach, is there any guarantee that replacement pumps currently in the Toyota supply chain do not have the same defect?"

Good point, especially since the information they posted at NHTSA about the testing done indicated that even bad pumps returned from the field worked most of the time (and after getting them to stop working they worked again after engine on/off), indicating there is no hurry to get the swap done, if yours is working fine. Also, the failure rate is pretty small, indicating that yours might be fine and stay fine. Best to wait until they know for sure what to replace them with, and only then do it.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
"And, if you were to take the "replace-it-now" approach, is there any guarantee that replacement pumps currently in the Toyota supply chain do not have the same defect?"

Good point, especially since the information they posted at NHTSA about the testing done indicated that even bad pumps returned from the field worked most of the time (and after getting them to stop working they worked again after engine on/off), indicating there is no hurry to get the swap done, if yours is working fine. Also, the failure rate is pretty small, indicating that yours might be fine and stay fine. Best to wait until they know for sure what to replace them with, and only then do it.
Yeah, but to have a partial OR total fuel pump failure many miles offroad in inhospitable territory would be a huge PITA.

The other concern is for the fuel pump driver for the later models using the two-speed pumps.

It sounds like the impeller cracks and/or deforms sufficiently to rub against the housing, slowing it down (or stalling it) and reducing fuel pressure. Can the solid-state fuel pump driver circuit survive the higher current draw from a binding impeller or totally stalled pump?

Maybe more important, if the plastic impeller is rubbing against the fuel pump housing, it is likely shedding a constant stream of tiny plastic particles. Seeing as the North American FJs don't have any fine fuel filter whatsoever, will these particles eventually clog the fuel injectors, or disrupt their spray pattern? There is a coarse plastic screen at the fuel pump inlet, but nothing to capture debris that is generated WITHIN the pump itself.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just received my second notice saying to schedule an appointment, the first in May was just a notification. A reimbursement form was included if you've already paid to have it replaced. Maybe the slow production and sales due to CoVID-19 has freed up fuel pumps. The letter says the job will take two hours and just says fuel pump.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Got a call from a dealer here in town, I’m scheduled to have the recall service done this Saturday. Will pass along any info I get...

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Mine is being done Monday by Rockwall Toyota. Will report how it goes. No loaner car really sucks! I'll even take a 85 Cordoba ,i don't care.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Got mine repaired last July 3. They said the whole fuel pump assembly was replaced (part #'s 04009-86231 & 04009-81630). They needed to remove the back seats and drop the gas tank to replace the kit. (Photo at the dealership before I drove it home).

Untitled by Ramon Flores, on Flickr
Totally off topic, but I really love your rig Ramon.

Reactions: monflores11

·
Premium Member
12,430 Posts
My Taco is on the same recall and still no word from Toyota as to when they are ready to fix.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Got mine repaired last July 3. They said the whole fuel pump assembly was replaced (part #'s 04009-86231 & 04009-81630). They needed to remove the back seats and drop the gas tank to replace the kit. (Photo at the dealership before I drove it home).

Untitled by Ramon Flores, on Flickr
"Got mine replaced last July 3 ..."

You mean it was replaced a few days ago, or July 3rd last year?

If it was replaced last year, it could not have been the modified/improved pump.

Neither of the part numbers you listed are for a fuel pump ($800+); they are for 'fuel pump replacement kits' that sell for $140 and $7.50, respectively. Fittings, hoses, clamps, gaskets?

Are you sure that the complete fuel pump was replaced?

The P/N for the late-model complete fuel pump assembly is 77020-35171, but this is NOT the P/N for the new improved/modified pump.

If anyone gets the NEW pump installed under warranty, please post the complete Toyota P/N.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
"Got mine replaced last July 3 ..."

You mean it was replaced a few days ago, or July 3rd last year?

If it was replaced last year, it could not have been the modified/improved pump.

Neither of the part numbers you listed are for a fuel pump itself ($800+); they are for 'fuel pump replacement kits' that sell for $140 and $7.50, respectively.

Are you sure that the complete fuel pump was replaced?
Yes, last Friday - July 3, 2020. It's the Safety Recall 20TA02. I also researched the part number and you are correct, those parts cost around that price. If it's the whole fuel pump assembly or just the fuel pump inside the assembly, that I'm no longer sure. I just relied on what the service person told me that they are replacing the assembly (the term they use).

Anyway, Toyota was quick enough to call me that the repair is already available and need to schedule a service which I did Friday. Also a friend of mine (Calvin) whose TTUE is for sale now and is posted here I the forum, had his recall service done 2 days ahead of me. Hopefully the repair is done correctly.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Yes, last Friday - July 3, 2020. It's the Safety Recall 20TA02. I also researched the part number and you are correct, those parts cost around that price. If it's the whole fuel pump assembly or just the fuel pump inside the assembly, that I'm no longer sure. I just relied on what the service person told me that they are replacing the assembly (the term they use).

Anyway, Toyota was quick enough to call me that the repair is already available and need to schedule a service which I did Friday. Also a friend of mine (Calvin) whose TTUE is for sale now and is posted here I the forum, had his recall service done 2 days ahead of me. Hopefully the repair is done correctly.
On your Recall Service Order, were those two part numbers the only P/Ns listed?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts