Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2014 into the dealer today to get the fuel pump recall performed (don't worry, it's only some 2014's that need it). Shortly after driving away, I noticed my "low fuel" warning light was on and the gauge was reading empty. Went immediately to a gas station and filled it up as high as I could. When I started up to pull away, I see that the low fuel warning light is still on and the gauge is still reading empty. WTF? Guess I'll be calling them tomorrow morning for an answer! Has anyone else experienced this after doing the fuel pump recall?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had mine done today and fuel gage is OK, I'd guess something just got unplugged when working on yours.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I took the FJ back in and they worked on it all day, completely stripped the fuel system down and found everything working fine. When they re-assembled, the gauge seemed to be working and reading full. But ....

Drove about 250 km and the gauge reads just under 3/4 full. I think it should read no more than a 1/4 tank! Looks like I need to call them again but I’m away from civilization for a week or two!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a '14 that's scheduled for the recall replacement tomorrow. Talked to a good friend with a '14 also who had the recall done three weeks ago and they had the exact same failure. Gas gauge showed 3/4 full and they thought they were getting great mileage until it ran out of gas on the side of Hwy. 400. Gauge still showed 3/4 full. Towed it to the dealer and they apologized, spent a day fixing the sending unit and reimbursed the tow.

Guess I'll have a heart to heart with the Service Manager to discuss not f**king up the sending unit while replacing the low pressure fuel pump.......

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Ultragauge will calc remaining fuel from OBDII data, not tank float, when you need to know exactly how much fuel is left.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a '14 that's scheduled for the recall replacement tomorrow. Talked to a good friend with a '14 also who had the recall done three weeks ago and they had the exact same failure. Gas gauge showed 3/4 full and they thought they were getting great mileage until it ran out of gas on the side of Hwy. 400. Gauge still showed 3/4 full. Towed it to the dealer and they apologized, spent a day fixing the sending unit and reimbursed the tow.

Guess I'll have a heart to heart with the Service Manager to discuss not f**king up the sending unit while replacing the low pressure fuel pump.......
The diagnostic report I’ve seen says my sending unit and level sensor are good so I’m not sure what they’ll check when I take it in. Until then, I’ll carry a gas can and use the trip odometer!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ultragauge will calc remaining fuel from OBDII data, not tank float, when you need to know exactly how much fuel is left.
Sounds interesting! How can a system sense an amount of fuel without a float? Is there some other sensor involved?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds interesting! How can a system sense an amount of fuel without a float? Is there some other sensor involved?
Found this on the web to answer my own question:
"The fuel sender data is only used by UltraGauge to detect a fuel fill-up event. At all other times the fuel sender is ignored as it is horribly inaccurate. Instead UltraGauge calculates the fuel consumption real-time and uses this data to determine the remaining fuel in the fuel tank.
If the fuel sender data is not available via the OBDII port, a fuel fill-up event can be reported to UltraGauge by pressing & holding the "UP" key for three seconds."

It must use the metering sensors for fuel flow ... might be a good option if fixing the gas gauge costs too much!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I just had my recall done and the gas gauge is reading 3/4 tank when I know it’s full.

Oh wait- the gauge is just Excruciatingly slow...wow is it slow...at least it works. :)

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
It must use the metering sensors for fuel flow ... might be a good option if fixing the gas gauge costs too much!
I have the oem tank and an additional 23 gallon aux tank, press one button at fill ups. Ultragauge is accurate to less than 1 gallon, every fill. Apparently the injector data is very accurate considering the amount of injections that occur over 42 gallons of fuel.

Tank float is 1/4 tank accurate at best and has about 4 1/2 gallons remaining at gauge empty.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just had my recall done and the gas gauge is reading 3/4 tank when I know it’s full.

Oh wait- the gauge is just Excruciatingly slow...wow is it slow...at least it works. :)
Mine shows full when it’s full but it moves slowly to 3/4 as the tank empties. Keep that in mind ... you’re not getting fantastic gas mileage all of a sudden!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Mine shows full when it’s full but it moves slowly to 3/4 as the tank empties. Keep that in mind ... you’re not getting fantastic gas mileage all of a sudden!
Thanks for mentioning that. I see what you mean now. I will keep an eye on it hoping it steadily goes down to empty. This is the first fill up so I will see what the situation is. I have an aux tank so perhaps I will keep a few gallons in there as back up just in case I run out on the main tank...
Thanks bro!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for mentioning that. I see what you mean now. I will keep an eye on it hoping it steadily goes down to empty. This is the first fill up so I will see what the situation is. I have an aux tank so perhaps I will keep a few gallons in there as back up just in case I run out on the main tank...
Thanks bro!
i would love to have an aux tank!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts