1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Two things that came out from the NHTSA public documents, back when this first came out:
1) the issue shows up in only a very small % of vehicles, usually at low speed (the Australian link above indicates that "so far, there are no cases of fuel pump failing")
2) when an issue with the fuel pump did occur, and the pump was replaced, testing of those failed pumps they found it didn't do the issue all of the time, a shut down and restart tended to return it to normal running again, for another period of time (meaning that the likelihood of being able to limp home was high, even if an issue did occur)

the date range for the FJ Cruiser is Sept 2, 2013~ (so, the 2014 MY in the US, and '14~now for other markets), interestingly, the AU news article only said "15MY"

The timing for the replacement pumps was still being worked out. The good news is, because of the above, it is unlikely to be an urgent need for most folks.

·
Desert Moderator
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is yours on recall too ?
Not heard anything. I will check with the dealer, but they aren't open until all this kung flu kerfuffle is over.

·
Desert Moderator
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two things that came out from the NHTSA public documents, back when this first came out:
1) the issue shows up in only a very small % of vehicles, usually at low speed (the Australian link above indicates that "so far, there are no cases of fuel pump failing")
2) when an issue with the fuel pump did occur, and the pump was replaced, testing of those failed pumps they found it didn't do the issue all of the time, a shut down and restart tended to return it to normal running again, for another period of time (meaning that the likelihood of being able to limp home was high, even if an issue did occur)

the date range for the FJ Cruiser is Sept 2, 2013~ (so, the 2014 MY in the US, and '14~now for other markets), interestingly, the AU news article only said "15MY"

The timing for the replacement pumps was still being worked out. The good news is, because of the above, it is unlikely to be an urgent need for most folks.
It'll be urgent if I get stuck in the middle of the desert with a fuel pump issue...

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts

Perfect response from the home office?

Now get on site with a customer at 2 am and explain this to them when your equipment won’t run?

Design engineers vs. Field Engineers

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
True, I was just trying to put it into perspective (as in, the rate of occurrence is really low, and even then, the ability to re-start and get it going again is high).

Not trying to say it isn't a problem, just that depending on your own threshold for risk it isn't necessary to park it for months until the new part is available (whatever the time will be).

N

·
トヨタ Master
10,785 Posts
True, I was just trying to put it into perspective (as in, the rate of occurrence is really low, and even then, the ability to re-start and get it going again is high).

Not trying to say it isn't a problem, just that depending on your own threshold for risk it isn't necessary to park it for months until the new part is available (whatever the time will be).

N
I'm not losing any sleep over it. In fact, the FJ has been voted into full active duty again with the Zombie Apocalypse on the horizon. Hehe!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts