Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I might be tripen or my fuel gage is bad.
I have a 2008 FJ With 140,xxx miles.
ive owned the vehicle for 6 months now.
every time i have to fuel up. the gas tank will only take anywhere from 14 to 15 gallons. From my understanding the FJ’s have a 19 gallon tank. does anyone else experience this or do i have a bad fuel gage?

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
It is frustrating that the fuel gauge is so badly calibrated, reaching 0 and providing us no further information for a full 20% of its capacity.

If you can do math in your head, you can use the trip odometer, and trust that your mileage is relatively consistent, and get closer to 17 or 18 gallons per tank, but is does require some attention as, like I said, the vehicle has stopped providing any useful information during those last 80-100 miles or so. :p

Or, you can get an aftermarket OBDII reader which can do the math for you in real time, and use it as the fuel gauge instead, which some have done to great effect.

Or, you can put an extra can on the roof, or on the rear bumper, and then get out and manually pour it in when you need it (messy, and cumbersome to have to do, but I guess only necessary when/if you actually did run completely out by accident).

Or, you can buy an auxiliary tank and mount it under the rear, like the LRA Aux Fuel Tank

In any case, its a drag that it was designed to be so useless during so much of its range.

Norm

·
Registered
48 Posts
The fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline. Run the tank nearly empty often enough, and you'll shorten the life of the pump. Leaving at least 4 gallons in the tank is a good way to ensure your pump has a long life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same problem, but figured out (what I think) is a flow of the design of the fuel neck to the gas tank which prematurely stops the fuel trigger. Typically, it stops between 2.2-2.5 gals early.

So when I'm ready to head out on a long trip, last gas station before overlanding, or when I find cheap gas you can do this.

After the fuel stops, you need to pump the fuel really slow to get 2 more gals in. I mean really slow where you are barely holding the trigger on the fuel pump and it moves 0.1 g ..... 0.2 gal .... 0.3 gal.... slow.. typically to get the 2 gals in it takes me ~3 -4 min because it will stop again and again until you get it just right. Turning the fuel gun different angles helps to and pulling it ever slightly out of the fueling hole has more help. When you start doing this check your fuel as you can see it coming up the neck when it gets close to fuel. Now days, i'm pretty good and stop at 2gal exactly after the initial click of the gun.

WARNING, you can overflow your tank doing this way, but it does get me 2.5 gals more (literally to the neck of the filling hole).

Try it, I've been doing it for years and with this technique I can hit 300 miles/tank (barely) with a modified rig.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Buz. I don't remember where but at one time I was told to never fill it like that. Something about the fuel might go into the charcoal canister and mess it up. But as I said I don't remember where or when. Sounds like you have done it often enough with no issues. So might be worth a try before a long desert trip

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
When my light comes on I have 4 gallons left. I have had one time I ran it to the point my scan guage said I had one gallon left and it took 17.9 to fill it. it is also a 2008

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
In reply to LeeA: by the time the fuel gets down to warning volume, the pump motor is well clear of the fuel level. Whatever cooling the pump receives will have to be by the fuel is from whats flowing through it, not the bath around it.

In response to buz1nonly, and in support of what LostCreek3 said: topping up the tank like that used to be fine, back when the charcoal canister was located in the engine room (up to around the mid/late-'90s), but since the canister was made much larger, moved beside the tank and with the tank vent routed directly through it, the risk is of the check valve on the top of the tank sticking partially open and drowning your (very expensive to replace) charcoal canister with raw fuel. These days, the advice is to stop after the filler first clicks off, to avoid any chance of doing this.

In the olden days, some charcoal canisters could be rebuilt (unscrew the cap, pour out the soaked (and now useless) charcoal, and pour in some new activated fish tank filter charcoal), but these days, the housings are welded shut making it difficult to successfully replace the charcoal like that (and they contain much more complexity, a pump, check valve and control assembly for nightly pressure self-check).

If more capacity is desired, an aux tank, or carry a gas can is preferable to trying to fill the neck completely.

By the way, the AUS and GCC (Australia and Mid East) models still use the old type charcoal canister, and their filler necks are larger diameter (as they breathe through it when filling), but they don't meet the NA emissions regs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
.....but figured out (what I think) is a flow of the design of the fuel neck to the gas tank which prematurely stops the fuel trigger. Typically, it stops between 2.2-2.5 gals early.

After the fuel stops, you need to pump the fuel really slow to get 2 more gals in. I mean really slow where you are barely holding the trigger on the fuel pump and it moves 0.1 g ..... 0.2 gal .... 0.3 gal.... slow.. typically to get the 2 gals in it takes me ~3 -4 min because it will stop again and again until you get it just right. Turning the fuel gun different angles helps to and pulling it ever slightly out of the fueling hole has more help. When you start doing this check your fuel as you can see it coming up the neck when it gets close to fuel. Now days, i'm pretty good and stop at 2gal exactly after the initial click of the gun.
I have noticed exactly the same thing and I handle it the same way. It doesn't matter what gas station I go to. The fuel neck is designed poorly and I get about 2.5 extra gallons but pumping it VERY slowly.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Interesting similarity to my '00 4Runner 4WD, which I bought new in Sept. 2000. Originally, the low fuel warning came on with about 4 gallons in the tank. Owner's made such a stink about "small fuel tank" that Toyota created a revised fuel sender module that turned the light on with about 2 gallons remaining. I had it installed as a free "warranty" update in late 2000.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
When the low level light came on today I pulled into next station and filled up. He filled it up, Oregon doesn't think we can safely pump our own gas.

I had him set the nozzle for a slow fill. Took 14.736 when it clicked off. I'm sure I could have put a little more in.

4 gallons left when low fuel light came on. What everyone else saying....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks all. Totally forgot about the charcoal canister. I don’t think it is only the neck that takes 2.5 gal. I’ll probably just stop at 2 gal now.
I thought the low gas light comes on with 2 gal left on my 2011. Right when the light comes on I can fill 15 gal plus 2 gal pumped slowly. Don’t know now.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
i notice in Medford snd klamath falls there are more SHE. When I get closer to Beaverton, it’s all HE
All I've noticed at Fred Meyer is he. Costco has a good mix of both.

Costco is most efficient at getting you through the line but pumps at max. They do give it another try if you ask. Better price than Freddy's

Freddy's does a better job on the fill, nozzles set slower, but not as organized at controlling the line. Longer lines.

A small Astro near us on the way to Mt Hood (Hwy-224 side) is another one I use. Price almost as good as Costco. Pleasant folks who don't mind making sure the tank is full. Plus the attached Food Mart 😃

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Can confirm that the tank holds 19 gals. Engine was starting to miss as I was pulling into the station.
This was a while ago, gas isn't this cheap anymore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts