Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read multiple threads about fueling up and the pumps shutting off with some extra room to add more gas into the FJ. This is not my issue. My issue I have often is that the pump stops as if my gas tank were full, but it is nowhere close. This is a sporadic issue that does not happen all the time.

Example: I drive and notice my gas light on so I go to fuel up. I do the credit card thing, pick up the nozzle, select 87, put the nozzle into the fuel fuller and start to fuel up. Just after I start... CLICK. Not even 1/2 a gallon in yet. Start again and CLICK. Again the pump stops and I have to squeeze the handle again. This annoys me so much as I've had it happen at least a dozen times before putting 2 gallons of fuel into the FJ. I've tried positioning the nozzle in different angles with minimal help.

By the way. I live in NY. The little 'assist' things that let you walk away from your vehicle while it holds the handle and fuels your vehicle up thingy are no longer there. So it has nothing to do with the first level or second level (as far as I can determine).

So i've tried to keep track of when and where this happens (gas station wise) as well as how much fuel I have in my FJ when I start to fill up. Nothing is consistant. I'm baffled. Is there something I'm doing wrong that I may be missing? I'm 25 and have been filling up cars for a while. I drive a lot so I fill up quite often. I would gather it's safe to say I can properly fill a vehicles gas tank lol.

To answer a question I see coming fast, Yes. I sometimes have issues at a specific pump and then again no issues at the same pump a different time.

Any help or input is appreciated. If this continues I will definitely be going back to the dealer and seeing what they say.

I have a 2012 FJ AT with ~37000 miles. I purchased with 17 miles on 12/30/2011.

Thanks,
Shocks

·
Registered
920 Posts
I know its not much help, but mine's done this since new. The wife's Sequoia is the same. Both 2010s. I have asked the dealership about it and they don't know either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Known issue and it's something to do with the shape of the gas filler neck and/or the vent holes in the filler neck. Not much you can do about it other than pump slower or find the magic pump that always works! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Don't have the problem around here, sounds like your pumps put out more volume of gas or the fill sensor is more sensitive , try slowing your fill speed should make a difference.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
i have had it very occassionally. I also had the same problem with my Mustang.'

It's just not an FJ issue.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've experienced this issue since purchase back in 2010. I've just kind of gotten used to and always allow myself a little more time at the gas station just incase it happens. Mine's an 07 just to be clear

·
Registered
339 Posts
Normal issue and related to volume of gas coming from the pump. I've had some where I could just barely hold the handle open and other where I have no issues at all. Temperature also seems to play a factor I've found, though the temps in question are in the -30-40 range.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Speaking of the little assist thingy, I've seen some for sale online that you can carry in your pocket or on your keychain to use for the places where its missing.

As to your problem, agree with the above. You'll have better luck not having the spout all the way down in the tank. Then try not running it at 100%, but back off some, like 90%. Either it's filling too fast for the FJ's fuel filler line, or the nozzle's are too sensitive.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info/input everyone. It just frustrates the hell out of me. lol I'll try filling slower and see if that helps. Hopefully I'll find something that'll work and not drive me crazy(er).

Thanks,
Shocks

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Mine used to do it, but it's now very rare since I did a body lift. I think the few instances it happens now are more pump related. If you crawl under your FJ and look up to where the fuel filler is, you'll see the path is almost horizontal to get to the tank on a stock truck. I assume my fuel tank is mounted to the frame while the filler is mounted to the body and I ended up with a better angle with the lift, but I've just taken it for granted now that it works properly.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I have a '13, and I've had no problem filling (knock on wood). BUT I've had that problem on other vehicles. Try rotating the nozzle 10-20 degrees. That's what worked for me.

Have you had this problem since it was new or is this a recent development? If you discover an angle that improves the flow, report that to the dealer when you complain. It would definitely annoy me if it was a constant problem.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I thought this problem was just me. I have learned to hold the pump at the top after latching it to stay on. This works everytime! It seems as long as there is pressure forcing it in, then it can take the larger volume. Sucks to have to hold the pump the whole time, but at least I dont have to hold the trigger at all now.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
For me, if it is an angry pump, turning it sideways, partially inserting nozzle, putting it on the slower notch, none of it works other than slow manual fill. It seems it's not as frequent as it used to be though.

Maybe I need an excuse for a Bandi lift like Speedrye!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Happens to me every now and then.

Solution:
  1. Push pump filler all the way in
  2. Hold pump handle up (pointing filler down)
  3. Squeeze pump handle (partial or full, doesn't matter)
Will fill up until full and click off when full every time. Only hassle is you have to hold the pump handle up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the info/input everyone. It just frustrates the hell out of me. lol I'll try filling slower and see if that helps. Hopefully I'll find something that'll work and not drive me crazy(er).

Thanks,
Shocks
Lift the handle all the way up, so the spout is angled more downward towards the tank.

I had one gas station that the pumps would always cut off, holding the handle all the way up altered the flow enough to always go full speed and not cut off early. But you have to stand there and hold it the whole time...

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
I take a half step to the rear of my FJ and hold the handle horizontally to the ground... and then manually hold it open about 3/4. I can usually tell when it's thinking of clicking off by the feel and sound of it.
:cheers:

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I can usually tell when it's thinking of clicking off by the feel and sound of it.
:cheers:
Good point. I can hear it coming too.

It sounds like a CAI sucking air when it's coming. You know you are monitoring the entire fill up with 300 clicks in the process!!!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I've had this on both FJ's and it does it intermittently at the same pump. I may be wrong but I've noticed that the pumps speed is not consistent some times it's very fast and others very slow. I could be wrong but I think it might depend on how full the stations ground tanks are. I also think the angle the nozzle is placed in the filler neck makes a difference. If it pumps very fast and the gas is hitting the side of the filler neck it causes enough back pressure to stop the pump. As I say I may be totally full of it here but it makes sense to my pea brain.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts