Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
This topic has been covered over maybe a zillion posts. It's the nature of the FJ beast, and only gets worse when certain gas station pumps are over-active., Me, I always put just the first 1 inch of the nozzle into the filler neck, just enough to lock it in place so it doesn't fall to the ground. Usually I can run the pumps at full tilt boogie, but most times I just set the nozzle at half throttle and spend my time cleaning the windows while she fills up. Works every time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This topic has been covered ... I just set the nozzle at half throttle.
I appologize if this was covered. I did do a search but came up empty with the situation I described. Also, I cannot set the nozzle at any setting as the gas stations in NY do not have the (technically speacking of course) "thingy" to do that.

Anywho I have to fill up tomorrow as I'm under 1/4 tank. We shall see if I have this reoccur. If so I will try some of the techniques suggested earlier.

Thanks,
Shocks

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Also, I cannot set the nozzle at any setting as the gas stations in NY do not have the (technically speacking of course) "thingy" to do that.

Anywho I have to fill up tomorrow as I'm under 1/4 tank. We shall see if I have this reoccur. If so I will try some of the techniques suggested earlier.

Thanks,
Shocks
Drive to Jersey and they'll pump it for you :lol: They will probably get pissed and frustrated and send you on your way! :cheers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Admin
6,588 Posts
I've had this on both FJ's and it does it intermittently at the same pump. I may be wrong but I've noticed that the pumps speed is not consistent some times it's very fast and others very slow......
Yeah, I noticed this too. If there are other people clicking their pumps on and off (filling their vehicles) it creates a little surge and will surely click mine off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah, I noticed this too. If there are other people clicking their pumps on and off (filling their vehicles) it creates a little surge and will surely click mine off.
Now that you mentioned that I can say that has happened as well. Just thought it was a coincidence though.

Shocks

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
just stick your cap under the lever to hold it. that way it will be slow enough to not click but you dont need to hold it.
I've been using that trick since I bought the thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw the parts diagram for the filler tube...
It shows a hard 90 degree bend..

Any plumber will tell you that is not a good thing..

So at first I thought it might just be backing up there..?
Does some gas have detergents and possible foam under turbulence?
My diesel foams like crazy, if gas foams at all the 90 could send it back to the pump as full.
But,
That same day my buddy came over, we were looking at the underside of the rear about a non related issue.
We saw 2 boxes screwed to the bottom of the deck. One big one small.

Out of the blue he said he thinks those are part of my fuel system....
I looked at it and thought very possible as there were wires heading that way.

He then went on to say one is probably some kind of filter for the fuel system....
He said he had to change or clean one on some other car in the past.
He said it has something to do with the Back Pressure while fueling.

As you know if you put fuel in the tank you have to displace the air that currently resides there.
You probably haven't noticed any hissing of air coming out from the filler neck while fueling??
It must be being released somewhere by some type of valve, that you probably don't want clogged so there is probably a filter for it...makes sense to be evacuating the gas fumes down below where least troublesome....
I could be way off base
This is just my current theory...
I am just talking out my rear but it all makes sense to me...

I am currently following up on schematics and identification of those two boxes to see what they are....would be really cool if its just a clogged filter or port....

SOG
(Some Old Guy)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Calbuild, will you post photos of what you are looking at?

There is a charcoal canister (big rectangular, black plastic box), with an air pump, solenoids and check valves to run an airtight leak test of the fuel system each night (approximately 4-6 hours after you park it). There is a 1/2" diameter breather tube from the top of the tank (with a check valve to prevent raw fuel going up it) to the canister, to capture the vapors as you fill the tank.

There is a snorkel from it that runs up alongside the filler neck, to an air filter located near the filler opening, but on the backside so you can't see it and no fuel could get on it. It is the air intake for the fuel tank as you use the fuel and need to replace it with air, and it is also the way for air to get out (after it has passed through the charcoal canister to give up its vapors) as you fill the tank.

Note that a smooth bend, by itself, is no deterrent to flow. As any plumber will tell you, changes in diameter (like, by threaded fittings) DO interfere with flow, but smooth bends do not (the code calculation for pressure loss has factors for the one, but not for the other). That's why the gas supply line from the street to your house is smaller diameter than the black pipe inside of your house, but they both carry the same flow, because the pipe fittings create friction but the smooth (yellow) flex pipe used outside, even when it has sharp bends, does not.

Additionally, the filler neck is 1" diameter, and the fuel flow from the nozzle is considerably smaller than that, even at full flow, so there's always a lot of air around the fuel as it pours down into the tank, further reducing possibility of friction issues. The whole system is designed to, as much as possible, prevent fuel backing up and splashing on you, or on the ground (dangerous).

The thing that turns off the filler nozzle (assuming its working correctly), is the 3rd tube that runs along the filler neck: it is 1/4" diameter, and it starts at the top of the tank and runs to the point right where the tip of the filler nozzle sits. When the tank gets full, the fuel shoots up that small diameter tube much more quickly than it backs up the 1" diameter main tube, and shoots a jet of fuel at the tip of the filler nozzle, "tickling" its shut off device, turning off the pump before the main tube has backed up and preventing it from spilling on you/the ground.

Generally, when I've seen a pump that isn't working right, either that filler nozzle shut off device was broken/ improperly adjusted, making it far too sensitive (as you can imagine, they are designed to fail safe, so a bad one will turn off way too easily), or the nozzle itself is dispensing the fuel far too foamy, and that foaming triggers its own shut off device. Maintaining those things costs money, so gas stations often try to keep bad ones in service as long as they can get away with, and let you struggle with it.

x2 on the suggestion of putting the cap under the filler lever in NYS where they've removed those filler nozzle lever holders. It works, but don't be surprised if the attendant yells at you for doing it. There was a VERY bad fire/explosion in New York, back in the early '80s, and rather than outlawing self serve like they did in NJ, they installed big fire suppression systems on each island and took off all of those nozzle holder-onners, making it a pain unless you use the "cap under the lever" trick.

N

21 - 29 of 29 Posts