Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completely removed the rear seat, including the seat backs in preparation to build a platform to sleep on and to support a durable divider to keep my pups safely in the rear of the FJ.

This removal took about 1 hour due to one of the seatbelt bolts being very difficult to remove. It is important to have a six sided 14 mm socket for this!

The removal began by removing the bolts below the front edge of the rear seat bottom. This is pretty straightforward.

DSC_1576lr.jpg

Then I removed the plastic "hump" behind the seat backs. Remove the two bolts and pop up the center plastic keeper. I just gently pulled and it popped out.

DSC_1580lr.jpg
DSC_1583lr.jpg

Next I removed the two bolts holding the bracket between the two seat back sections.

DSC_1585lr.jpg

Then with an open end wrench I removed the bolts on both ends of the seats that are attached to the sides of the passenger compartment. This can be a slow process because it is tough to get much rotation with the wrench. A closed end ratchet metric wrench wold be the thing to use (I didn't have one)

DSC_1589lr.jpg

You must at some point remove the bolts holding the seatbelts in place. After doing this last, my suggestion is to do it first to be sure they can be removed. The passenger side belt is in the way during removal of other parts, so get it out of the way first.

Pics of the platform and divider to come.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have welded together my platform to create the sleeping area and support for a divider to keep my pups in the back of the FJ. I used 1.5 inch square tubing because it is a good size and was what I had on hand. I attached tabs on the inside edges to allow plywood panels to be inset and sit flush with the top edges of the square tubing.

DSC_1633lr.jpg

I utilized the rear tie down points by removing the bolts and tie down rings that were stock in the FJ. Note that I placed in some nylon spacers in the rear point to level up the platform. With the use of 1.5 inch square tubing, I still have full access to the inverter port and the driver side compartment. I also utilized the threaded points where the tie down points were in the "hump" that was removed. There are two threaded points next to each other (though only one of them was used for the original tie down point), and I decided to use both of them on both sides. I placed some thin foam washers (the ones that come with blank CDs and DVDs) thinking it might reduce any possible vibration. All of these points were 6 mm metric bolts, short (about 1/2 inch long) on the front ones and long (about 1.5 inch) for the rear ones with the spacers.

This gave me 6 points to secure the rear portion of the platform.

DSC_1651lr.jpg
DSC_1647lr.jpg

I created a bracket to go down to where the seat bottoms were bolted to the floor to support the front portion of the platform. This will help in support of the forward area, which when the divider is in will provide for short term seating if needed.

DSC_1643lr.jpg
DSC_1656lr.jpg

I painted the platform frame with Krylon Hammer Fnish spray paint on all sides except the top which I painted with Dupli Color spray bedliner for more durability. I also sprayed the plywood with the spray bedliner.

Pics with the plywood inserts to come. I am still trying to develop the divider and will be working on cushions.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Nice pics and good instructions bight.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Nice job on the platform. Are you going to weld on some side rials to prevent stuff from flying forward off the platform, as well as provide tie-down points ?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The divider I am working on will provide protection from objects flying forward but is primarily designed to keep my dogs in the back. I will be mounting the stock tie down points I removed to the plywood deck. Pics soon.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In addition the spray bedliner will provide sufficient friction to limit stuff from sliding and all my gear will be stowed in some slick Mountainsmith rubber bottomed Zip Top Totes and Modular Hauling Systems.

Mountainsmith

Mountainsmith

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yikes alot of work! i would just invest in a tent and nice sleeping bag! to each his own!
Yeah it has been some work but has only cost me a few bucks because I already had the materials. Still there is not that much in materials.

I also have many tents and sleeping bags for every season, but often times for me (I am on a Search and Rescue team) just sleeping in the buggy is way easier. Plus it will provide superior mounting points for almost anything and protect my dogs.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
yikes alot of work! i would just invest in a tent and nice sleeping bag! to each his own!
I think it will be quite a challange for him to keep his dogs in a tent while towing it with his FJ !!!:roller::roller::roller:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am very interested in seeing more pictures as this develops.

How tall are you? I am 6' tall and the only way I can see this being comfortable is to have the seats slid all the way forward. That makes driving no good, so my next question is do you plan on having some sort of attachment that will extend closer to the back of the seat once you are setting up for the night?

I am working on something similar but I chose to only remove the seat bottoms. I don't want to lose back seat functionality during the week and removal of the seat bottoms takes only a minute so I can make the switch quick and easy before heading to the hills for the weekend.

Keep us updated. I will share pictures once I have something worth sharing.

Travis

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Looks like a great idea.

Could you make it hinged so that you could put the seats back in if needed. I was thinking of doing that earlier. But have put it on the back burner. Most likely no enough room though.

Great job. Waiting to see the final pictures.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I couldnt resist and I know if i didnt say it someone else would have beat me to it ......

Can Ya Sleep In It?:)

Sorry I had to .

I like your idea I friends in a Fire Department and in SAR and I know there are times when you have to spend the night on a cold snowy/pouring down rain mountain. Coming back from a search in the pouing rain and finding out your tent collapsed and is now full of water would suxor. Crawl in the FJ and your done .
Keep the pics coming and good job on the comfort zone sleeping mod :thumbs up:

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
I
Then I removed the plastic "hump" behind the seat backs. Remove the two bolts and pop up the center plastic keeper. I just gently pulled and it popped out.

View attachment 12344
View attachment 12345

QUOTE]

Just an FYI, the 2 bolts that go thru this center piece have a metal spacer with a cardborad (red) washer to hold it in. Since this is a tie down point, just keep track of this when taking it apart, and going back together, otherwize the plastic gets squished.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I can sleep in it, but I am 5'7" and curl up. With the seats all the way forward and tilted forward there is 6 feet of length.

I will be adding a divider with quick release pins to separate the far rear from the area just behind the front seat. It will be up to the rear door jamb to keep the dogs in the back. This will leave enough platform in front of the divider to allow for gear storage or seating for short rides like boat shuttles, etc. The quick release pins will allow for the divider to be removed for hauling, sleeping. etc.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like a great idea.

Could you make it hinged so that you could put the seats back in if needed. I was thinking of doing that earlier. But have put it on the back burner. Most likely no enough room though.

Great job. Waiting to see the final pictures.
Don't know. Interesting idea, but for me I wanted to minimize the depth of the platform. Too bad it is not just a removable seat with a flat rear bed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Too bad it is not just a removable seat with a flat rear bed.
X2!!! With as little room as there is in the backseat (only enough for kids or cramped adults), it seems like the seats would be less focused on comfortability and more focused on functionality (like most other parts of the FJ).

My Weimeraner was a mess today and finally gave up staying in the back to curl tightly into the front seat (reclined). It was like she was on a freakin' slip-n-slide on that slick plastic in the back (seats down). Rear seats up work alright for her, but she couldn't see good enough. I gotta come up with some kind of platform for her to view from, but still have a comfortable/safe place.<rant off> I am curious to see what your finished product looks like to keep the dogs in back. Is there any particular reason why you didn't miter/notch the square tubing so there aren't open ends?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts