Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just a quick addition that everyone may find helpful if removing the rear seat backs.
It is a real pain to remove the side bolts, and even harder to get them back in!! After fighting with it for about 10 minutes, I decided to try to separate the seat from the hinges.
Simply pop off the plastic backs from the rear seat backs just like you would pop the door panels. Start at the bottom, get your fingers under the panel and give a quick pull toward you. The fasteners will pop right off and the panel will come off the seat. Each rear seat back has two 14mm bolts that hold it to the hinge mechanism. Just remove these and the seat backs come right out giving easy access to the bolt that holds the hinge to the side of the vehicle. If you are smart, you will do this first, and then not even have to remove the hinge from the side...
Sorry for no pics. I ma not good at remembering to bring the camera in the garage with me.
I thought they might pop off. Though I already removed the rear seats the HARD way. It's been a couple of months and I haven't built a platform. I have had a few times where I wish I had the seats back. So... i'm going to build something different - while retaining the seats - at least the seat backs.

Anyway... I thought I would take some pictures that 'cantsitstill' was talking about.

Reinstalling the seats with this method took about a 1/4 of the time I took removing them. Pull those panels off and make your life easy! :)

Smurph

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard there was some issues with removing the back seats of an FJ, regarding strenght wise of the frame. Can somebody confirm this, as i'm planning to remove my back seats and replace them with two seperate seats (like driver and passenger seats).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bight - what a great job! I joined the forum just to say that! Your work is just more proof that a lot of people really want a "factory enclosed pickup" (i.e. a 4 wheel drive with an area large and flat enough to sleep on, but also an area that is totally waterproof - unlike many toppers). The original 4-runner was Toyota's response; its too bad they abandoned the concept. If you are still on this forum, how long is your bed? I had a 1975 FJ 40, but for the last twenty years I have been in Toyota pickups. I am ready for something other than a pickup, and your mod gives me inspiration to go for the FJ Cruiser! Thanks again for your post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks. I found another person's solution to sleeping in the back of an FJ Cruiser, but he claims that the rear seats are structural. Does anyone know if this is true? Below is a copy & paste from his website, and I have also provided a link to his website:

"The main goals of this project were: (1) To make a sleeping area long enough to stretch out my 5"10" body. (2) Not require the removal of anything structural like the rear seats, which I want to be able to use easily."

Project Toyota FJ Cruiser - Sleeping Platform, Cargo Storage Box

Any insight into this issue is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Bight - what a great job! I joined the forum just to say that! ... Thanks again for your post.
Just FYI, bight has not visited the forum in the last year and has not made a post for two years, so he may not see your praise.

Hi folks. I found another person's solution to sleeping in the back of an FJ Cruiser, but he claims that the rear seats are structural. Does anyone know if this is true? Below is a copy & paste from his website, and I have also provided a link to his website:

"The main goals of this project were: (1) To make a sleeping area long enough to stretch out my 5"10" body. (2) Not require the removal of anything structural like the rear seats, which I want to be able to use easily."

Project Toyota FJ Cruiser - Sleeping Platform, Cargo Storage Box

Any insight into this issue is much appreciated!
There are several forum members here who have removed their rear seats and made sleeping platforms; search for "sleeping platform" and you will probably find them. Here are several to get you started: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/41318-rear-storage-solutions-12-articles.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome 1911, and for the link to those articles. I didn't see any mention in the articles of the rear seats somehow playing a role in the structural integrity or strength of the vehicle. Perhaps I am misreading the guy on Project Toyota; when he says that the seats are "structural" I thought he meant they were providing some sort of reinforcement to the frame (?) - which doesn't seem likely to me. Maybe when he wrote that he didn't want to remove "anything structural" he just meant that he didn't want to make any permanent modifications to the vehicle. I will check with a Toyota mechanic just to be sure. Thanks again for your suggestions!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also appreciative of this informative post.

I have an open question, I hope someone can answer:

Can you remove just the passenger's side rear seat? (the big one)

I want to keep the more functional driver's side small seat for a 3rd person, but have some more diagonal room in the back for surfboards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just pulled out my rear seats after first reading this thread. The advice about popping off the rear seat backs was particularly good. The entire job, front to back, took me just an hour and a half, and it's the first work I've ever done on my FJ (I'm not exactly a mechanical genius :). I love all the great information on this forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great information! I've covered the plastic seatbacks with carpet (Home Depot has the perfect pre-cut for about 10$

I'll leave the plastic cover on, but is double sided tape the best option to attach the carpet?

(Carpet: Multy Home Concord Gray 2 Ft. x 5 Ft. Precut Scatter Rug)

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I used it for reference in removing my rear seats yesterday and wanted to add and clarify a couple of things.

First off it is possible to remove just one side or the other separately. I removed the passenger side section to prepare for installing a portable fridge, but wanted to keep the driver side section intact for an extra passenger if necessary. The remaining seat folds and the seatbelt works just as before, just have to make sure you have the right latch pulled through the retaining loop (attached picture shows the result). Note that I did not remove the bottom seat belt latches as there is a little "well" in the floorboard where they can be stowed.

Secondly I wanted to address the issue of whether the seats are structural - they are not. Either or both seats can be removed without affecting the structural integrity of the vehicle. I believe the referenced website uses the word "structural" to mean "part of the vehicle's overall structure" and not something that holds it together (which is how that word is more typically used).

Anyway, just thought I would add those bits of info in case anyone else stumbles across this thread. BTW, if anyone knows how to display attached photos in portrait mode, please let me know - could not get that to work no matter what I tried.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I used it for reference in removing my rear seats yesterday and wanted to add and clarify a couple of things.

First off it is possible to remove just one side or the other separately. I removed the passenger side section to prepare for installing a portable fridge, but wanted to keep the driver side section intact for an extra passenger if necessary. The remaining seat folds and the seatbelt works just as before, just have to make sure you have the right latch pulled through the retaining loop (attached picture shows the result). Note that I did not remove the bottom seat belt latches as there is a little "well" in the floorboard where they can be stowed.

Secondly I wanted to address the issue of whether the seats are structural - they are not. Either or both seats can be removed without affecting the structural integrity of the vehicle. I believe the referenced website uses the word "structural" to mean "part of the vehicle's overall structure" and not something that holds it together (which is how that word is more typically used).

Anyway, just though i would add those bits of info in case anyone else stumbles across this thread. BTW, if anyone knows how to display attached photos in portrait mode, please let me know - could not get that to work no matter what I tried.
How much do the rear seats weigh? Do you know?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Has anyone that has removed their rear seats installed them again? I feel like I've misplaced some hardware and/or pieces and was hoping to locate a schematic before I begin, to ensure I have everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone that has removed their rear seats installed them again? I feel like I've misplaced some hardware and/or pieces and was hoping to locate a schematic before I begin, to ensure I have everything.
I just re-installed my rear seats (and seatbelts) yesterday, I've also taken apart the entire rear interior at least 3 times for various reasons. It's still very fresh in my mind, if you have any questions, I'll help you out! (Here, or pm, or text/call, whatever works).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to add what a useful thread this is. The frame and dog grate modification are exceptional. Hats off to the original poster and all the helpful info about removing the rear seats.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't know. Interesting idea, but for me I wanted to minimize the depth of the platform. Too bad it is not just a removable seat with a flat rear bed.
I really like what you created. Professional job. I know this is an ancient post.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts