Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Edmunds.Com has a huge test of the FJ Cruiser online. Below is an excerpt from part of the article. Clicking the link at the end will take you to the rest of it. Enjoy!

If your first thought when gazing at the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser is something along the lines of, "Oh great, another retro vehicle," you're not alone. Between the Volkswagen "New" Beetle, Mini Cooper, Ford Mustang and recently unveiled Dodge Challenger, it could be argued that automakers have run out of new ideas and are simply living off their past glory.

But there's a flaw in that line of thinking. Simply put, Toyota is having plenty of success with its current SUV lineup. Even the company's oldest off-road design, the Land Cruiser, continues to win awards and accolades, including Edmunds' 2006 Most Wanted SUV over $45,000. So unlike the companies building those other retro vehicles, Toyota doesn't need the FJ Cruiser to revive interest in the brand. In fact, the original FJ concept vehicle was designed at Toyota's Calty Design Research center in Newport Beach, California, and shown at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show as a pure concept study, with no serious plans for production.

However, with consumers doing cartwheels around the FJ Cruiser's show stand, and the automotive press writing rave reviews, Toyota decided to put it into production six months after the concept debuted. The first prototype was built on a modified Prado (4Runner/GX 470) platform in the summer of 2004, and the final production models will be in dealerships by March 2006.
Source: Edmunds

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
dont forget to click on the video in the right column (someone else already pointed it out - you wont want to miss the video)

·
Registered
86 Posts
http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2007_Toyota_FJ Cruiser&ReviewID=1870

Summary
The FJ Cruiser is Toyota's newest sport utility vehicle and its most capable when it comes to getting where you want to go when there's no pavement beneath your tires. Like Hummers and Jeep Wranglers, the FJ Cruiser isn't for everyone. Not everyone will appreciate its heritage, whether in the iconic design cues brought forward in a thoroughly modern vehicle or in the way this vehicle lives up to the Land Cruiser's much deserved reputation for getting across deserts, up mountains and through swamps and jungles on continents around the globe. But for those whose lifestyles include exploring, whether it be sandy beaches, mountain trails, secluded lakes, busy ski hills or even the urban jungle, the FJ Cruiser provides Toyota quality at a competitive price and wrapped in a unique design, inside and out.

NewCarTestDrive.com correspondent Larry Edsall filed this report after driving the FJ Cruiser in the hills west of Los Angeles and in the desert around Palm Springs, California.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Welcome Chris and Kruiser - be warned we are vicious bunch with an undying lust for all things cruiser and a tendency to attack without warning. While we appologize for being ruthless it came from 2 years of drooling over a concept truck and not being able to find any information.

Welcome to the fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Percy said:
Welcome Chris and Kruiser - be warned we are vicious bunch with an undying lust for all things cruiser and a tendency to attack without warning. While we appologize for being ruthless it came from 2 years of drooling over a concept truck and not being able to find any information.

Welcome to the fun!
Thanks for the welcome. I just learned about the new FJ recently, and I'm glad that Toyota decided to put it into production. My friend has a 2003 TRD Tacoma double cab, and I've been impressed with its reliability and off-road capability. I have no doubt the FJ cruiser will be a great off-roader too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts