Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done this? I found one thread where someone said they did but didn't really give any info.

Would it be as simple as getting a lockable centre torsen from a 4runner and swapping it in?

We have old windy roads here that were once tarmac and are now a combination of old tar and gravel where I'd prefer AWD to 2WD but can't lock the center diff because of the windy tarmac bits.

·
Desert Moderator
5,659 Posts
Or Prado or Fortuner would be a better choice for your location.
Fortuner has mechanical linkages same as the FJ, and I believe is the same transfer case as my manual FJ.
Not sure if there is a difference between the 4.0, 2.7, or Diesel transfer cases, or fitment to the FJ auto box.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have a few around here that were successfully converted to full-time 4wd. You need to replace your transfer with a LC Prado transfer that was used on an UAE version. It should be the one with lever shifter, not the electronic actuators' one. It is 3cm longer than the stock AT transfer, so your front shaft would need to be extended, and I'm not sure it will work fine with the non-lifted FJ, as the rear shaft would just fit. And you will need to replace the split front axle with a solid one from the same LC Prado model or whichever, plus you'll need to replace the clamshell part that has a hole for the 4wd actuator on your stock front diff. The actuator motor can be left intact somewhere under the hood, so your indication works fine.

It's a pretty much bolt-on install, works fine, no codes thrown, no hacking required.

This way your FJ will have a free center diff not the torsen, so torque split will vary, making it stable on the road but also... interesting to deal with when going sideways, as you wouldn't know whether to use FWD or RWD tactics. And I have no idea how your ESP would take it, as I suppose in was calibrated for 2wd, maybe the engine torque drop will be felt stronger (e.g. worse) whenever it kicks in, maybe not. But as far as I know this is the only way for the AT folk to have a true full-time 4wd truck.

On the bright side - you'll split the torque between the axles full-time, so less worries about that rear diff being overloaded and failing.

Here are some pics, nevermind the russian text on them.

New (used) transfer and front axle

Stock transfer length - 190mm

New transfer length - 220mm

Stock axle with an actuator motor flange

Prado axle

Transfer fit

I can look for others' pics if you want, but they are mostly same. I remember seeing the part-numbers too, but can't find them on the fly. If you're willing to go this way, I'll try to find them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a few around here that were successfully converted to full-time 4wd. You need to replace your transfer with a LC Prado transfer that was used on an UAE version. It should be the one with lever shifter, not the electronic actuators' one. It is 3cm longer than the stock AT transfer, so your front shaft would need to be extended, and I'm not sure it will work fine with the non-lifted FJ, as the rear shaft would just fit. And you will need to replace the split front axle with a solid one from the same LC Prado model or whichever, plus you'll need to replace the clamshell part that has a hole for the 4wd actuator on your stock front diff. The actuator motor can be left intact somewhere under the hood, so your indication works fine.

It's a pretty much bolt-on install, works fine, no codes thrown, no hacking required.

This way your FJ will have a free center diff not the torsen, so torque split will vary, making it stable on the road but also... interesting to deal with when going sideways, as you wouldn't know whether to use FWD or RWD tactics. And I have no idea how your ESP would take it, as I suppose in was calibrated for 2wd, maybe the engine torque drop will be felt stronger (e.g. worse) whenever it kicks in, maybe not. But as far as I know this is the only way for the AT folk to have a true full-time 4wd truck.

On the bright side - you'll split the torque between the axles full-time, so less worries about that rear diff being overloaded and failing.

Here are some pics, nevermind the russian text on them.

New (used) transfer and front axle
View attachment 1116885

Stock transfer length - 190mm
View attachment 1116886

New transfer length - 220mm
View attachment 1116887

Stock axle with an actuator motor flange
View attachment 1116888

Prado axle
View attachment 1116889

Transfer fit
View attachment 1116890

I can look for others' pics if you want, but they are mostly same. I remember seeing the part-numbers too, but can't find them on the fly. If you're willing to go this way, I'll try to find them.
Ruslan is it you?)))

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nyet, this is Ivan. :lol

Been looking for the same solution, found these pics on drive2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts