Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's FJC is a fancy grocery getter/daily driver, so considering where we moved to she would rather have a full-time setup for winter driving. Can a full-time transfer case be easily switched into an Auto FJC?

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Ok then, is this because of different electronics?
For starters, the tranny output/TC input shafts are different diameters on the manual than than on the auto. You'd either have to have custom shafts made, or possibly a custom splined sleeve that would couple one diameter with the other, and machine the outside diameter to fit some existing oil seal. Not impossible - lots of money will make many things easier, but it would take lots of money.

It looks like the bolt patterns on both TC's are the same, but I've never seen both manual and auto TC's side-by-side so I can't say for sure. If they're not identical, then you're going to have to machine an adapter plate of some kind thick enough to hold bolts from both sides.

Then you get to the electronics. The auto and manual TC's have different numbers of sensors; while you could either eliminate some or replace them with manual switches, the harnesses are different so you would have to figure it out with the schematics. You would have to do something with the ADD on the front axle too; either lock it and cut the wires to the motor so it stays permanently locked or put a manual switch on it. The auto and manual tranny models also have different 4WD/transfer case ECM's so you'd most likely have to replace that too and figure out a way to plug it into the existing harness.

If money is no object then anything is possible, but that is going to be one expensive grocery getter. Way better off and far less expensive just to trade her auto model in for a new manual tranny model.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For starters... [edit]... If money is no object then anything is possible, but that is going to be one expensive grocery getter.
Alrighty then, thanks for the explanation. I didn't know both models were so different.

Way better off and far less expensive just to trade her auto model in for a new manual tranny model.
Right, but then I'd be asking about an auto tranny swap... She can't drive stick :D

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Not trying to be overly simplistic or condescending, but it seems like by far the easiest and cheapest solution would be for her to just learn to shift the transfer case into 4-high whenever there is snow on the road, and back into 2-high when there is not. Otherwise, just buy her an 80-series or later Land Cruiser; they all come with auto trannies and full-time 4WD.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not trying to be overly simplistic or condescending.
No offense taken, I was hoping it would be somewhat of an easy deal. Following some reading I just did, it maybe better to leave it in 2WD anyway to get the benefit of the VSC. Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
it seems like by far the easiest and cheapest solution would be for her to just learn to shift the transfer case into 4-high whenever there is snow on the road, and back into 2-high when there is not.
No offense taken, I was hoping it would be somewhat of an easy deal. Following some reading I just did, it maybe better to leave it in 2WD anyway to get the benefit of the VSC. Thanks for the response.
If i was in snow i'd be using 4HI on the auto.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i was in snow i'd be using 4HI on the auto.
The problem here is that you can go from a snow and ice covered road, to a plowed and cleared one, back to a snowy one, etc... Shifting in and out of 4WD is not that much fun and I would rather have my wife concentrate on the road ahead. We found VSC to be quite effective and I would rather have it over 4H, unless there is a hack to have both on. Full-time 4WD would have been nice, but it will remain just a dream. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I wouldn't say that this kind of swap is really hard to make.
We started this kind of modifications to my AT FJ.

so what has been done so far:

1) original transfer case was swapped with MT FJ Cruiser transfer case
2) front driveshaft was swapped with Toyota LC Prado 120 front driveshaft

the remaining problem, which we expect to solve is VSC. now, it's always off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I wouldn't say that this kind of swap is really hard to make.
We started this kind of modifications to my AT FJ.

so what has been done so far:

1) original transfer case was swapped with MT FJ Cruiser transfer case
2) front driveshaft was swapped with Toyota LC Prado 120 front driveshaft

the remaining problem, which we expect to solve is VSC. now, it's always off.
Hi!
It's really no problem to swap full time transfer case and have full time 4wd.
Your have problem with VCS because you cut wires ACC from front axle - don't do it, just connect the ACC and fix it under hood)
A lot of guys from Russia swap fulltime transfer case to A/T FJ Cruiser, it's really cool!
Next week I also do it!
Good luck guys!
From Kazakhstan with love!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts