Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I won the set of those at the Summit along with all the FunTreks trail guides.

I need to get a GPS now to use them.

(Thus far I have navigated only by the sun and moon.)

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Looking into these for the southwest Colorado and southeast Utah areas.

Price is reasonable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I purchased the two Colorado and the Utah Funtrek books with intentions on using them to tour Colorado and Utah in the near future..

As I researched the trails in the books, and compared them in Basecamp on my new Garmin Nuvi, I began to be concerned about getting up on the trails and be subjected to so many other small trails that might take us away from the right trail.

I noticed that Funtrek was offering these mini-SD cards that could be used along side the books. In my opinion the SD cards would greatly assist the books, and insure that we would remain on the right trail and successfully enjoy the right trip. I purchased the Colorado (combination) card today in hopes of using it on the last two weeks of September..... wait and see.....

:smile :smile :smile

·
Registered
44 Posts
The books are the reason I own an FJ, the better half picked one up by chance in a gas station outside of South Park and we ventured into the mountains... Great books.

So, before this trip I purchased the data for the GPS to use in both the Garmin Nuvi 1490 and in Google Earth to plan routes. The data is hap hazard and poorly formatted. I do this kind of data cleansing for a living and there were many errors and inconsistencies. The original was so overlaid with copyright statements, overly long titles and transparent lines (?) it was useless for our needs. So I sat down and fixed the first 61 trails and jumped to trail 99 that we planned on taking on the way to Ouray. After a few evenings I had corrected the color in Google Earth to show green for green trails and both blue and red respectively. The titles were fixed and the time stamps made consistent. After the effort it now works very well and was a big help. For me it was a draw as to whether I could have made it myself using the book or fix the data.

To be absolutely fair he NEVER said it was fully supported in anything other than in the gps, but I feel that after some fixing it now works better in the Garmin and is stable in Google Earth.

In the mountains having the trail marked for the crossing of a new pass without a trail leader it took some stress out to have a line to follow rather than pulling the book out at every fork.

I would likely buy the data again if I were planning on doing a dozen trails in the section and just plan to fix the data.

The books are an absolute purchase.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The books are the reason I own an FJ, the better half picked one up by chance in a gas station outside of South Park and we ventured into the mountains... Great books.

So, before this trip I purchased the data for the GPS to use in both the Garmin Nuvi 1490 and in Google Earth to plan routes. The data is hap hazard and poorly formatted. I do this kind of data cleansing for a living and there were many errors and inconsistencies. The original was so overlaid with copyright statements, overly long titles and transparent lines (?) it was useless for our needs. So I sat down and fixed the first 61 trails and jumped to trail 99 that we planned on taking on the way to Ouray. After a few evenings I had corrected the color in Google Earth to show green for green trails and both blue and red respectively. The titles were fixed and the time stamps made consistent. After the effort it now works very well and was a big help. For me it was a draw as to whether I could have made it myself using the book or fix the data.

To be absolutely fair he NEVER said it was fully supported in anything other than in the gps, but I feel that after some fixing it now works better in the Garmin and is stable in Google Earth.

In the mountains having the trail marked for the crossing of a new pass without a trail leader it took some stress out to have a line to follow rather than pulling the book out at every fork.

I would likely buy the data again if I were planning on doing a dozen trails in the section and just plan to fix the data.

The books are an absolute purchase.
Thanks for that detailed update, I'll send this thread to the guys at FunTreks so they know what's going on.

The data cards are only 'meant' to work in the units, so the files are GPX files, which GE will import, but it's not always consistent. Unfortunately FunTreks can't afford to pay someone to fix all 300+ of their trails, so it's great when the community can help out :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
We purchased the book and SD card for Colorado. After the summit we headed to Pikes Peak via a couple of easy trails listed in the book. The easiest way for me to find the trail head was to enter the coordinates into the Garmin.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I purchased four Funtrek books AZ, UT, CO (North & central) back in April.....

After reading these posts, I ordered the CO (combination) SD cards as a test for a two week Colorado trip in late September. If they work as I expect they will, I plan on getting the other two.....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
I purchased four Funtrek books AZ, UT, CO (North & central) back in April.....

After reading these posts, I ordered the CO (combination) SD cards as a test for a two week Colorado trip in late September. If they work as I expect they will, I plan on getting the other two.....

:clap: :clap: :clap:
How did these work out for you? I have been considering them...

·
Registered
61 Posts
How did these work out for you? I have been considering them...
THE Funtrek SD cards worked out great (installed in my Garmin 2729). There were times (on the trails) when there was some confusion as to which direction we should go, left or right on the trails.

With the Funtrek SD cards that confusion was quickly resolved. The proper direction was lite up on the 2729 screen. It was great ......

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
THE Funtrek SD cards worked out great (installed in my Garmin 2729). There were times (on the trails) when there was some confusion as to which direction we should go, left or right on the trails.

With the Funtrek SD cards that confusion was quickly resolved. The proper direction was lite up on the 2729 screen. It was great ......
Excellent, thanks for the update!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts