Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family has been buying and restoring 66-77 Ford Broncos for years, we have accumulated a grave yard of Broncos for spare parts. We sold them off to a guy in Reidsville, NC, and occasionally visit for anything we need or just to shoot the chit.

The point came up, as one of the older guys was looking over my FJ... "In 40 years I bet no one will be doing this (graveyards) for these(FJC)!" And partially because of the market today, so many company make aftermarket parts for these, from replacement OEM parts to extreme bumpers and roof racks, that "scrapping" will be an obsolete hobby!

I hope that is not true! I would love to cary on my family tradition of taking 3 broken trucks and making one good one out of them to my sons! ;) But at the rate we are going now, in 40 years there wont be any fuel to run these and all metal will become scarce and replaced with plastic or something! :lookaround:

This is only 1/3 of the grave yard (mostly my Broncos), there is another field and 3 barns full of parts to keep out of the weather...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Brings a thought up in my mind....why is it GM and Ford haven't made an off roading vehicle to compete with vehicles like ours or the Jeep Wrangler even?

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Fuel Cost, Metals, or aftermarket companies and their parts, isnt what is killing the grave yards.. Its fedral and state regulations! California and several other states are actually in full swing to completely wipe them from the earth. Other states are making it so hard and creating so many regulations that its impossible to own and operate. Hazardous materials fees,(fuels,oils,ect) Eye sore regulations, having to create drainage fields... I can go on for hours...
There will be a huge change in what and how vehicles are made, but I Forsee the government being the one that kills your Hobby for you and many many others

·
Registered
483 Posts
well ford just came out with the raptor a d that thing is insane off road, chevy want gm wants to appeal to families and contractors because thats their strong point it has been for years............the dodge challenger is the best car on earth

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
sweet. i always wanted an old bronco like those.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brings a thought up in my mind....why is it GM and Ford haven't made an off roading vehicle to compete with vehicles like ours or the Jeep Wrangler even?
The Bronco concept came out the same time as FJC concept, with plans of production as well! However only Toyota came through in the end!
...and that is why I have an FJ, Ford failed me! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

Give me that look with today's technology (engine, electronics, etc.) inside and I would trade-in my FJ in on that.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Give me that look with today's technology (engine, electronics, etc.) inside and I would trade-in my FJ in on that.
If money is not an issue, I can build that for you easy! Good ol' Ranger/250 Swap!

Now putting a '72 Bug on a Bronco frame! That was my favorite build we did! :rocker:

Even my '66 now has the Chevy/Cadi disk break upgrade, power Brakes/steering up grades, Gage cluster Up grade... I can go on...
The only thing left 66 is the basic tub, and the wipers! For nostalgic taste they are still Vacuum controlled, but boosted ;) Also still have the old AM radio in the dash, It is illuminated but not wired to speakers. I have the Tuffy center console with hidden stereo mount for the real radio/CD changer.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I am leaning more towards new.

More info -

2009 Ford Bronco | Cool Cars
I saw that in person when it first hit the car show circuit. Made me walk funny. :lol:

As far as the graveyards, are there any old Land Cruiser / 4Runner graveyards out there ? If not, there isn't much chance that there will be any FJC graveyards.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am leaning more towards new.

Yup that's the concept that Ford said "F it.. let Toyota take our business!"

True fans will notice design flaws that didn't follow the Early Broncos design but rather its competitor the IH Scout! ...compare the door angled shape, rear window shape, and back angle. also the grill looks more like a Scout II than a Bronco! :flame:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
The scout was also and early love of mine. I looked at this concept and compared some of the clues taken from current Landrover too. I just wonder if they did that on purpose because the concept was developed while Ford owned them. I also look at it and notice similarities to the current Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As far as the graveyards, are there any old Land Cruiser / 4Runner graveyards out there ? If not, there isn't much chance that there will be any FJC graveyards.
There is a "somewhat" 4Runner & Toyota pickup graveyard in Vonore, Tennessee (Whites Auto Sales)................specializes in selling salvage parts from wrecked 4Runners and Toyota pickups. Also, a few newer Land Cruisers. :wave:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I probably still would of went with an FJ due to the reliability of toyota and the extra two suicide doors. But that bronco concept is pretty cool. I liked the roof...

then again, i could see that huge open glass roof getting annoying.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is a "somewhat" 4Runner & Toyota pickup graveyard in Vonore, Tennessee (Whites Auto Sales)................specializes in selling salvage parts from wrecked 4Runners and Toyota pickups. Also, a few newer Land Cruisers. :wave:
Oooooooooo Thanks for the tip! I remember that when I'm looking for a solid front axle!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts