Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's start planning a trip to Gallagher Head Lake. I'm thinking June 18th. Should be snow free by then. Would be cool to do a overnighter but not necessary. I've only been to the lake and a stock FJ could do it. Never done Van Epps pass but from the pictures I've seen it shouldn't be a problem. So what do you folks think?:rocker:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've seen pics of the area. Looks like it could be fun. Its not a long run to the lake but there is a lot of roads around. I think Steed did a run with the NWoverlanders a couple yrs ago. I'll try to make this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can tag along Sunday.. Saturdays are always very busy for me.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I've seen pics of the area. Looks like it could be fun. Its not a long run to the lake but there is a lot of roads around. I think Steed did a run with the NWoverlanders a couple yrs ago. I'll try to make this.
You are correct sir....we went in August of 08 and it froze that night....burrrrr. I'd love to go back but that is a work day for me......I'm striking out again this year on runs so far. :mecry:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I can make it out on sunday for sure, but saturday will prolly be a no go. Maybe we can do a night run if i head up on saturday night??

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I can make it out on sunday for sure, but saturday will prolly be a no go. Maybe we can do a night run if i head up on saturday night??
There isn't a lot of wheeling the area (just a few easier trails). A night run would be fun though.

There used to be a lot of stuff, but it's been closed for a long, long time. I accidentally got back on some of those trails once. If you look hard enough you can find some of the old ORV trail markers that were left behind. Talking to the older locals will reveal it was a pretty big motorcycle attraction for a while, with 4x4's in there a little too.

These are from early June 2009:

There was still patches of snow at that time, and the camping wasn't super warm if I remember. There was an abundance of wildlife however, we saw lots of things running around, including some brave deer that came right through our campsite while we were sitting around the fire.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Looks like a good time. I'm adding it to my calendar and crossing my fingers that I can get it off.

Edit: Drat, already something on the calendar that weekend. I'll be out towards Ft. Stevens :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Will try to make it also.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Ah shucks, there is something on the other calendar I forgot about. I can't do that weekend. I'll have to join up for the next one. :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crap... Wife just reminded me it's Fathers day that weekend. How about we change it to the weekend of the 11th?

·
Registered
150 Posts
So are we looking at the 11th or 18th just to make sure??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Looks like it's the 11th. Hopefully not to much snow, elevation is around 5500 ft.

So are we looking at the 11th or 18th just to make sure??

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I'm hoping to make this. I won't be able to head up till 5 though out of PDX. Anyone else coming from that direction?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts