Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's a nice unit! Thanks Ron

I got this one for work and works out well in the garage too. Small enough to fit under a workbench and you can still roll it around if need be. Plus it has a higher than average (for a compressor this size) CFM output; 6.0SCFM at 90lbs. That's more than enough to run an impact wrench. It also has two outputs and the output/gauge panel can be mounted in between two 2x4's at eye level if you like. I'm sure you could find it cheaper if you looked around too. If I remember right I bought mine for about a hundred dollars cheaper than this.

Portable Air Compressor - Air Tools - Tools - Griot's Garage

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
FWIW, I use my Powertank as my garage compressor.

It's portable (obviously) and is great for filling tires (of course), but will also operate an impact wrench and air blower. Wouldn't want to use it for any long duration projects (like painting) but it works fine for any thing else.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There's an idea... I hadn't though about a powertank. What does it normally cost to refill? Ron

FWIW, I use my Powertank as my garage compressor.

It's portable (obviously) and is great for filling tires (of course), but will also operate an impact wrench and air blower. Wouldn't want to use it for any long duration projects (like painting) but it works fine for any thing else.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
There's an idea... I hadn't though about a powertank. What does it normally cost to refill? Ron
$15 for 10#'s where I go, but I've seen charts that vary between $10-20.

I just refilled it yesterday and it lasted me almost a year, but I don't air down very often (only 3 times during the past year) and mainly use it to top off the tires on my various cars and as an air blower to clean parts, etc. I bought a cheap impact wrench at Sears, but returned it because it didn't have enough torque to remove the lugs from my FJ and Jeep wheels. Still haven't gotten around to buying a stronger one, which costs more, of course, but the Powertank will be able to power it when I do. I understand that some people w/a CO2 tank also carry their impact wrench w/them for on trail wheel changes and repairs.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The air blower is what I was concerned with. A full year is good.. Ron

$15 for 10#'s where I go, but I've seen charts that vary between $10-20.

I just refilled it and it lasted me a year, but I don't air down very often only 3 times last year and mainly use it to top off the tires on my various cars and as an air blower to clean parts, etc.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
CO2 in the garage does seem like an interesting idea, although you should probably get the 20# tank b/c the 10# seems to go pretty fast when using air tools.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
CO2 in the garage does seem like an interesting idea, although you should probably get the 20# tank b/c the 10# seems to go pretty fast when using air tools.
Agreed.

I'd only recommend the 10# CO2 tank for light use. If you are a heavy user of air in the shop, it would probably be a better idea to have a 20# tank that's dedicated exclusively for garage use or just opt for a regular air compressor instead.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts