Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any experience installing a low-rise scissor lift in their garage. One suitably tall/stout to get the wheels off a fairly heavy FJ. I was thinking about something like this: Car Guy Garage: 6000 lb. Blue Low-Rise Pad Lift but would hate to spend that kind of money and learn that it's primarily useful for leaking hydraulic fluid all over my garage.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I was always confused by this kind of lift...how do you maneuver between the hoist links with big tools to get things done, it also only lifts 30 inches....not enough IMO :thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was always confused by this kind of lift...how do you maneuver between the hoist links with big tools to get things done, it also only lifts 30 inches....not enough IMO :thinkerg:
The FJ is tall enough as is that I don't need a lift to get underneath and work on it. But, I absolutely loathe getting the front tires off the ground. You have to lift it so high that I've never felt safe doing it. This is the style of lift you see at Discount Tires and seeing how quickly, easily and safely they do stuff made me start looking into it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Seems overly expensive and unnecessary for what it does. But simultaneously too cheap, if that makes sense (like the Harbor Freight version of a lift?). I agree, 30" isn't enough lift and those huge platforms will likely get in the way of a lot of stuff you want to do. Get yourself four Craftsman high lift jack stands and a good quality floor jack. You'll end up saving ~$1200 and they're portable to boot :bouncy:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Also, it looks like you have rock rails on your rig. I use mine to lift mine safely all the time. Use your Hi-Lift jack and maybe grab one of these. I've never felt unsafe with good jacking techniques and reliable jack stands.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems overly expensive and unnecessary for what it does. But simultaneously too cheap, if that makes sense (like the Harbor Freight version of a lift?).
No, that makes perfect sense and is exactly what I'm worried about.

I agree, 30" isn't enough lift and those huge platforms will likely get in the way of a lot of stuff you want to do. Get yourself four Craftsman high lift jack stands and a good quality floor jack. You'll end up saving ~$1200 and they're portable to boot :bouncy:
I'll need to measure but, I'm almost positive that 30" is enough to get all 4 wheels off the ground. I'm skinny enough to get under the vehicle without issue so, I'm not looking for something that makes the underside more accessible. Just something to easily/quickly/safely get the tires off to do suspension/brake kinds of jobs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's fair, I suppose. Just keep in mind that your suspension will sag a few inches when lifted like that, too. You might also consider BendPak. They make solid lifts for home and professional applications. You might be interested in their 4-Post Bridge Jacks here.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's fair, I suppose. Just keep in mind that your suspension will sag a few inches when lifted like that, too. You might also consider BendPak. They make solid lifts for home and professional applications. You might be interested in their 4-Post Bridge Jacks here.
That's interesting, thanks. That one seems to imply buying into a particular ecosystem of stuff and I'd have to figure out if that would work (or if I could afford it).

I'm really hoping to find some feedback like, "I bought something like that and the first time I used it, my truck rolled off and went through the side of my garage", or, "Worked fine the first few times and then started spewing hydraulic fluid everywhere", or, better yet a link to, "I've had this one for 10 years and it's worked great".

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
If you're dropping $1500 on a lift that takes up a bunch of space on the floor, just to do wheel, brake, and some suspension work, you might as well go another five hundo and get yourself a big daddy 10,000 lb. frame lift that lets you do everything.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're dropping $1500 on a lift that takes up a bunch of space on the floor, just to do wheel, brake, and some suspension work, you might as well go another five hundo and get yourself a big daddy 10,000 lb. frame lift that lets you do everything.

That one looks pretty interesting but, most of the two post lifts I've seen wouldn't fit in my garage or, if they would fit, wouldn't give me any more clearance than a low-rise scissor lift (without hitting the roof of the garage). I'm really trying to emulate what I saw at Discount Tire. That is *exactly* what I want. Maybe I should just ask them what they use and see if there is a "light* version.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's interesting, thanks. That one seems to imply buying into a particular ecosystem of stuff and I'd have to figure out if that would work (or if I could afford it).

I'm really hoping to find some feedback like, "I bought something like that and the first time I used it, my truck rolled off and went through the side of my garage", or, "Worked fine the first few times and then started spewing hydraulic fluid everywhere", or, better yet a link to, "I've had this one for 10 years and it's worked great".
Haha, sounds good. Sorry, this just seemed like an interesting topic to look into. I'm too poor to afford anything that fancy myself :wink

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Old Cruiser had pictures and links for a cool scissor lift in his Zim thread.

I picked up a floor jack with a 22" lift height....no problem getting the FJ off the ground.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, sounds good. Sorry, this just seemed like an interesting topic to look into. I'm too poor to afford anything that fancy myself :wink
100% agree. On the face of it, it definitely seems insane to spend that kind of money to lift your truck up. But, if you can buy something that will last for 10 years, you'll probably have a lot of fun as friends bring over vehicles because it's so convenient and [hopefully] safe.

It's really just an idea at this point. I don't know that it would even be possible to deliver a 1000lbs scissor lift into my garage.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got me a 3 ton floor jack and a set of 6 ton floor jacks. Works great and only about $125 :)
Yeah, I get it. What I want to do can be done in a suburban garage with a cheap jack and some extended jack stands. I don't care. I'm looking for feedback on scissor lifts.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Yeah, I get it. What I want to do can be done in a suburban garage with a cheap jack and some extended jack stands. I don't care. I'm looking for feedback on scissor lifts.
Yo man don`t get your panties in a bunch were just trying to give you different ideas. Mine is a great jack by the way

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yo man don`t get your panties in a bunch were just trying to give you different ideas. Mine is a great jack by the way
Naaa. No bunched panties here. Just trying to steer the thread away from "My floor jack rules" and into, "I have had this experience with my scissor lift".

·
Desert Moderator
6,521 Posts
Dig a pit in your garage floor?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,863 Posts
I dont think Id ever really trust it at 6K capacity...the FJ armored up, is just too close to that max.

Plus if you need to use it to actually install or remove anything under the middle, forget about it....skid plates, exhaust...even the transfer case may be a pain to reach with that lift.

That low 2 post noted above would still lift it the same...youd just need side clearance for the posts.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont think Id ever really trust it at 6K capacity...the FJ armored up, is just too close to that max.
That's a good point. I've got a couple hundred pounds of armor so 6000lbs might be pushing it.

That low 2 post noted above would still lift it the same...youd just need side clearance for the posts.
You might be right. I was hoping to go with a scissor lift to avoid needing the side clearance but, I might have no choice but to go with a 2 post just to get an appropriate weight capacity. Kind of a pain for a standard 2 car garage. (Must... not... build... new... garage...)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts