Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went with the 60CSx I found it here at:

GARMIN INTERNATIONAL - 0100042200 - Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx Handheld GPS Unit

Best price I could find. I then went with the garmin auto mount and mod it only a bit. I removed the center arm so now there is only one arm and this reduced the vibs. I have had the FJ out and jumped it on dirt road and the mount hold and it is steady. Here is the mount:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/434087212_da5cf1d3be.jpg?v=0

GPS in the mount good sat coverage about +/- 10ft:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/148/434091484_8939f1e1b5.jpg?v=0

I also wanted to add power but I did not want to drill holes in the FJ I went with the Garmin bare wire cord and fit it down between the gap in the weatherstriping and the dash:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/434091496_abd203b4b9.jpg?v=0

I then thanks to the guys here found a posi tap for the fuse box below the mount.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/434091498_981ab77368.jpg?v=0

I gounded the power to the bolt pictured here that hold the brake pedel in place:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/434091516_012474f09f.jpg?v=0

All in all a good install that is removable if needed and stays put off road. Thanks for all the help on mounts and power that I got from the Forum.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How long does the suction cup w/GPS in it hold before loosening up or falling off?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long does the suction cup w/GPS in it hold before loosening up or falling off?
I have the 3M adhesive mount and it seems to hold I have been out and beat the FJ up and no issues in the last month.

I found the Posi Tap "mini" at Pep Boys. I have also heard Autozone has them. Good luck.

Jeremy

·
Registered
118 Posts
What about an antenna? My 76csx should come in any day, and for $30 the antenna seems like it should be a bonus.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I used this exact same method to wire my 60Csx up, but I mounted it like this example of another forum member:

I really like the combo because the mount gets the GPS in a heads up configuration that is solid as a rock and easier use than the dash mount, while blocking none of your field of view since it's in front of the A-pillar. And the wiring solution freed up a 12-volt accessory slot and got rid of loose wiring in the cable. Win-win.

·
Registered
652 Posts
i've found the best thing to use to prevent the unit suction from falling is to spread a thin bead of vaseline over it. works great.

i mounted my garmin on the bottom left of the windshield, placed the actual sticky mount on the windshield, then used the suction on the mount (used it for placement/ location for the gps).

the wiring went through the VIN slot, under the dash, down the silver panel, connected to the back of the 12v power.

piece of cake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same unit, but bought the friction mount and bicycle mount so I can take with me in my other trucks plus on foot for hunting. It does not need exterioral anttena. Receive on the dash in all my vehicles great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sweet, I just bought a gps and am going to install it the same way. Seems alot easier then taking panels off and hoping you dont break any plastic clips or anything like that. Now im off to find a posi-tap

·
Registered
652 Posts
miir, take off the panels. you wont break clips. it's going to look a lot LOT cleaner. many people here have posted threads on how to remove that silver piece. once you get it off, it's a piece of cake to thread wires down to your fuse box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
miir, take off the panels. you wont break clips. it's going to look a lot LOT cleaner. many people here have posted threads on how to remove that silver piece. once you get it off, it's a piece of cake to thread wires down to your fuse box.
I did it, i hardwired my gps today and the silver panel is very easy to pull out. I did have a problem at first with the way i was wiring it, but then I sat there and thought my way around it and ended up having to use two fuses. I know it sounds wierd but it workes. I was going to take pictures of the way i wired it but i took a picture of my roomate earlier this morning and my camera broke, go figure :shrug03:

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Very good write up...

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have the 60cs and i am going to hard wire it also. i have never done the accuallt part of hooking it up to the fuse box but i am going to get a posi tap.
sdo they come in diferent amperage sizes? Should this be put in a 10 AMP slot with a 10 amp fuse?

There only two wires to connect for power right? One to the fuse box and a ground?
So the other wires are to connect it to another device right?
On garmins website it looks like there are more that 2 wires to connect.

thank you for the info..

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have the 60cs and i am going to hard wire it also. i have never done the accuallt part of hooking it up to the fuse box but i am going to get a posi tap.
sdo they come in diferent amperage sizes? Should this be put in a 10 AMP slot with a 10 amp fuse?

There only two wires to connect for power right? One to the fuse box and a ground?
So the other wires are to connect it to another device right?
On garmins website it looks like there are more that 2 wires to connect.

thank you for the info..
Two wires for power, the other two are for the serial output (for connecting the device to a computer or something.

·
fka trailman
849 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Hey TGREGG - can you tell me what kind of mount you are using in this shot?

Thanks.

-

Thanks for the info guys. I used this exact same method to wire my 60Csx up, but I mounted it like this example of another forum member:

I really like the combo because the mount gets the GPS in a heads up configuration that is solid as a rock and easier use than the dash mount, while blocking none of your field of view since it's in front of the A-pillar. And the wiring solution freed up a 12-volt accessory slot and got rid of loose wiring in the cable. Win-win.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts