Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been trying to figure out which Garmin unit that Toyota has chosen for the FJ. Someone tossed out the idea that is will be the Gamin Nüvi unit which I cannot confirm. If anyone has some insight as to the unit I would like to know. Also I realize that if you buy it as a dealer option I’m sure the price will be higher that after market. If someone who is attending the next FJ event could ask and measure the GPS are that might give us an idea of what would fit in there. I’m excited that Nüvi unit has as option for adding the live traffic info :) (RDS-TMC) signal, great for southern Cali traffic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hope that Toyota includes that one too. Great for San Fran traffic and getting lost in the mountains. How much does that unit cost? Also, it was rumored that production FJ's will have the GPS compartment moved to the passenger side. Has that been confirmed?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The online price seems to be about $900. As for moving the unit to the passenger side I think that would defeat the purpose of the display and you would have difficulty adding destinations unless you had a passenger. Hopefully they place it in the middle of the dash or leave it in its original location. Also I’m interested because the unit can play MP3’s at the same time it give directions, it temporarily mutes the music as it reads off street names, not bad. Now if I could get some insight on the GPS compartment size…..?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I believe that the GPS unit installed in my FJ will be a "RM" brand.
RM as in "Rand McNally".

(sarcasm)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm with you on the two dollar nav option. But then, I'm the kinda guy that thinks that they should ban drop down TV's in the operator's compartment - are you driving or watching TV? I think cell phone use should be limited to proven drivers... ARE YOU LISTENING SOCCER MOMS? I think applying make-up should be done in the bathroom not the driver's seat. I think all that funky hi-tech stuff should be left to the computers and the people who operate them - they do nothing but distract already distracted drivers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds fun. But probably as useful as the Inclinometer in my 4-runner.
If it says your tilted 30 degrees to the right, you better have some idea that is happening before you see it there on the dash.
The kids 'll love it.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
it'll be removable? so you can take it out and go exploring? Nice. Man if I still lived in Oregon this would really be the perfect truck. For now it'll have to be a great truck in Boston lol. I'll still get 4x4 use out of it...

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Not to get too far off the subject, anyone use that remote Tom-Tom Nav system? Looking for something for the wifes Element, but maybe i'll consider that for my FJ when the time comes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
EJR said:
Not to get too far off the subject, anyone use that remote Tom-Tom Nav system? Looking for something for the wifes Element, but maybe i'll consider that for my FJ when the time comes.
The Tom Tom is actually a great wife unit. For guys that wanna explore I would suggest something from Lowrance or Garmin. We are prepping for a Navigation/GPS issue soon so I hope to get my hands on atleast the 10 most popular units out there.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jordan do you have a good idea of what model GPS will fit into the FJ compartment. Did your test unit have the compartment, also do all the FJ's have the compartment regardless of getting the option or not?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
mappelman said:
Jordan do you have a good idea of what model GPS will fit into the FJ compartment. Did your test unit have the compartment, also do all the FJ's have the compartment regardless of getting the option or not?
From what we have seen and heard so far, yes... all of them will have that little compartment whether you get the GPS or not. It will make a nice spot to store maps and stuff - insurance/registration - that kind of thing if you opt to not have a GPS unit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The one I had didnt have a GPS compartment. Not sure what would fit since I didnt have the option in my tester.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
wouldn't that be kinda hard to view? I mean I admire the idea of being able to pop it out and take it with you, but give the the IS350 screen anyday... (of course that's a lot more money)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
yeah it's small, but probably removeable, and "waterproof." Looks like it's mounted in front of the driver too, just like where the SEMA plastic was.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just saw a write-up for the Garmin GPSMap 376C. Removable, but with an easily installed dashboard mount. Smallish (about the same size as my handheld GPS V), but it's A) full color, B) an XM satellite radio receiver, and C) downloads real-time NWS radar data and overlays it with your coordinates! $1,000.

My work is highly weather-dependent. This thing is good for dodging storms, chasing tornadoes, or tweaking the day's activities on the fly. Nothing else will do now, I'm afraid. Meeting with my dealer tomorrow. Will tell him if it ain't a 376C, scratch it from my options list.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Even though I'm only 33, I'm a little old skool on this GPS stuff. If I ever got lost in the past, we pretty much drove around and marked all trails we got out. As losg as my compass is working, I think I'm set.

Does GPS kind of take something away from just the fact of being lost and finding your own way around?? Like I said, I am old skool and think it's pretty hard to get lost in America this day and age...At least lost for more than a couple of days....Not bashing GPS at all. Just curious and do not kow much about it except for wierd TOM TOM commericals I see.....To me Tom TOm should be used by delivery people...
When I'm lost a city I am unfamiliar with, I kind of like being social and asking the locals..

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
what does the thingie in the middle do, by the way? Is it temperature, incline and something else? (to be honest I'm being lazy and not going back and looking). Just looked...compass, temp (I'll like having that again), and incline. cool!

and while we're at it...why do Japanese cars use cheap clocks in even their nicest cars? I don't get it. The one in the FJ could have been pulled out of the '85 Accord we had back in 85 :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
what does the thingie in the middle do, by the way? Is it temperature, incline and something else? (to be honest I'm being lazy and not going back and looking)

and while we're at it...why do Japanese cars use cheap clocks in even their nicest cars? I don't get it. The one in the FJ could have been pulled out of the '85 Accord we had back in 85 :)
I think the instruments in the middle "thingie" are, in order: compass, thermometer, clinometer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My wife is rumored to be buying me a GPS- Garmin 76CS to be precise. Any comments on the chances of this working in the spot on the FJ dash?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts