Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase pretty soon. Should I be going with the Quest 2 (i'm pretty sure that is the one you can get through the dealers) or are there any other options that will also fit into that little glovebox area and work with the car kit (whatever that is) worth checking out? Also, Garmin owners, how do you like it? Worth the money? I figure it's worth it to go with this over a nav headunit because I can always take the garmin out of the car if i'm going hiking or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Don't buy the unit from the dealer, as it has some options that can't be adjusted. Some guys have returned their units and bought the same unit from somewhere else that can be upgraded. there is a thread on here somewhere.....

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just brougth it from the dealer i dont see any problems to be honest just the connection cutsfrom time to time but i ordered an antena and i think everything will be ok :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 350 about 2 or 3 weeks ago..and I absolutely love it. I mounted it right unter the Hi/Lo Air Conditioning knob..It kinda fabbed up the Garmin mount with adhesive velcro and it works good..sticks out enough to get to easily and its easily visable.

The unit itself is great. 3d map view..already pre-loaded with the US cities package...voice directions..mp3 player...save your own locations..everything a good GPS will give you. Bright touch screen...just all around nice easy to use features.

highly recommend it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I echo Rich's Nuvi comments...have a 660 myself (my second Garmin -- I previously had an iQue 3600) and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. While I don't think you can go wrong with any Garmin, I'd be hard pressed to buy something other than a Nuvi unless there were specific needs that these models didn't address.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 350 about 2 or 3 weeks ago..and I absolutely love it. I mounted it right unter the Hi/Lo Air Conditioning knob..It kinda fabbed up the Garmin mount with adhesive velcro and it works good..sticks out enough to get to easily and its easily visable.

The unit itself is great. 3d map view..already pre-loaded with the US cities package...voice directions..mp3 player...save your own locations..everything a good GPS will give you. Bright touch screen...just all around nice easy to use features.

highly recommend it.
I echo Rich's Nuvi comments...have a 660 myself (my second Garmin -- I previously had an iQue 3600) and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. While I don't think you can go wrong with any Garmin, I'd be hard pressed to buy something other than a Nuvi unless there were specific needs that these models didn't address.
+2 on Garmin Nuvi.I have the 350. Excellent. Can be installed just about anywhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Nuvi ( have the 660) is the way to go. I have had several different Garmins and the Nuvi has been the best so far. Get features, big screen and small overall size.

·
Registered
213 Posts
IMHO the latest Garmin Zumo 550 is a great GPS for the FJ. It doesn't even need and outside antenna with it's new super built in antenna. I think it is a much neater install for the FJ with its suction cup mount for the widnshield. Plus you get Blue Tooth and XM radio built into the 550 model.

My Zumo locates and locks in in a matter of seconds after being turned on and has never lost a signal while driving without an outside antenna. I have owned three different Garmin GPS's, and it is the best and easiest to use Garmin GPS yet, being designed for one hand use on a motorcycle. You can find it on the internet for around $650.

It allows me to easily transfer the GPS and XM between my motorcycle and cars, where I have permanent mounts already installed and wired. I can use it off the vehicle for hours with the built in battery. I ran the aux. speaker wire down to the FJ aux outlet and the Zumo plays thru the car speakers. You can have the XM radio on and the GPS breaks into give directions. It also breaks in when I get a phone call on my cell phone.

In the FJ I have it hot wired and fused directly to the battery and use it's on/off switch to turn it off and on. All I had to do was drill a couple of holes in the edge of the speaker cover to hide all the wiring below. Very easy install. Even if left on for a week it would not draw down the car battery. I find it makes is easier and more convinient to use hot wired.

The other pod you see on the dash is the XM antenna. It works OK on the dash, but it would work better if mounted on the roof, but then I would lose the ease of transferring XM to the motorcycle. And, I would have to get a second XM subscription.

SPECS:

Motorcycle owners, have you been waiting for a reliable navigation system that's designed for your travel needs? The Garmin zumo 550 was designed by bikers to handle the rigors of the open road and it comes loaded with features you'd expect from a comparably-priced car navigator.
Rugged design
The zumo 550 is built to last, even in the harshest driving conditions. The touchscreen and body will stand up to exposure to fuel spills and the sun, and the z?mo 550 is certified to withstand submersion in water for up to 30 minutes. Read more
Details:
» portable satellite navigation system with built-in GPS antenna
» 3.5" color anti-glare screen
» WAAS-enabled GPS receiver
» easy-to-use touchscreen controls
» preloaded, detailed maps of the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico
» certified IPX-7 waterproof housing (submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)
» six million points of interest
» overhead and 3-D street-level map views
» voice prompts with text-to-speech technology announce specific street names
» Bluetooth technology lets you make and receive hands-free phone calls with compatible phone and hear voice prompts with compatible helmet or headset
» optional TMC traffic receiver provides real-time updates on traffic conditions along programmed routes (subscription required, available in select metro areas only)
» compatible with XM Satellite Radio and XM's traffic-information service with optional receiver (subscription required, traffic service available in select metro areas only)
» highly sensitive GPS receiver retains signal in heavy foliage or when near skyscrapers
» customizable points of interest
» Garmin Lock anti-theft system
» MP3 player
» built-in stereo audio jack
» SD card slot
» photo viewer
» USB interface cable
» internal, rechargeable battery with up to 4 hours of life
» motorcycle mount with RAM mounting hardware
» vehicle suction-cup mount with integrated speaker
» dashboard disk allows you to use the suction-cup mount on your car's dash
» motorcycle power adapter
» vehicle power adapter
» carrying case
» 1 pair of color plastic caps for top and bottom of the unit included (silver and black)
» 4-13/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 1-5/8"D
» weight: 10.6 ounces
» warranty: 1 year

·
Registered
264 Posts

highly recommend it.
Great... Do you have pics of your gps placement in your fj? Just trying to figure out where i should put mine...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Great... Do you have pics of your gps placement in your fj? Just trying to figure out where i should put mine...
I'll have a bunch of pics tomorrow..I'm cleaning up the FJ and doing the 2nd mod writeup/photoshoot

·
Registered
264 Posts
just got my garmin nuvi 350. I found a sweet spot for it. I noticed the unused indicator light with the security key insignia that my system does not use---didn't pay for vip security--- and slapped the hook on that... I'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I also just bought the nuvi 350. $350 bucks! What a deal. Awesome! I have it mounted on with the suction cup to my windshield. I also bought a mount for my motorcycle handlebars. Very detailed!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just got the Garmin Nuvi 360 and I love it! The first thing I noticed is that it actually calulates good routes. My old setup from Pioneer would take me way out of the way sometimes for no reason. I am having it mounted tomorrow and also having an alarm / remote starter put in. Next will be the soundz!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts