Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,801 Posts
I have a copy. It's okay. The maps are a little weak compared to National Geographic Topos, but I installed the Garmin topos into my Nuvi. The Nuvi alows you to run both the street maps and the topo at the same time or just the topo. It's fun to play around with.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a copy. It's okay. The maps are a little weak compared to National Geographic Topos, but I installed the Garmin topos into my Nuvi. The Nuvi alows you to run both the street maps and the topo at the same time or just the topo. It's fun to play around with.
Do you know if the National Geographic Topos are compatible with the Garmin units?
Do you have the full version or just the regional memory card?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I thought the NG maps are PC only.

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,801 Posts
Only the handheld units (etrex). You can download info off the unit to the maps and also from the maps. When the Nuvi's plugged int the PC it comes up as a storage unit. It does not send signals to the mapping software. I use my etrex ass my receiver when I use the NG software.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I've got TOPO 2008 for my Nuvi 660, and it's OK for having the whole country in a small unit, but they're only 1:100,000 scale so there's not much detail. I prefer to use the 1:24,000 maps in Terrain Navigator Pro, but they only run on a laptop that uses the GPS as an external device. Too much equipment for most 4WD runs but I use it for work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts