Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I'm guessing you've done research on the cost of this versus a full replacement? Looks like a good option if you just want to 'fix' the OEM half-a-rack. I know Garvin's got a good reputation amongst the J##p crowd. I'd rather have more crossbars or a mesh floor, myself. Looks like a good load would cause those long bars to sag in the middle, and I know there's probably not much clearance below given the FJ's heavily curved roof top.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I've had their Adventure Rack installed on my FJ for about 4 years or so (I think it was originally designated as a Wilderness Trail rack, or something along those lines). It's very nice although I've never actually utilized it for storing anything up top. I will offer the caveat that (at least on mine) the mounting hardware (bolts primarily) were nowhere near strong enough. I had to have Garvin ship me replacements since the original units were pretty much unusable if you tightened them, loosened them and then re-tightened them. Surely they've rectified that by now.

Jim

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I have the full racks for my FJC and FJ60. I know these are slightly different than the inserts you are looking at. Nevertheless, the quality of these racks is high. They are very strong. I walk around up top without any problems when adjusting cargo or drying the roof and the selection of accessories to mount various items, from Hi-Lift to Thule/Yakima bars is the best. Just a plug from one satisfied customer. I know Garvins are less popular here than the "usual" Gobis, Bajaracks, and others, but I would definitely recommend them.

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
i was thinking about a gobi rr but i dont really use my roof rack for anything more then the weekend camping trip. i saw this garvin basket and it seems like i am going to get the long drop in basket(someday) its less money yes but it looks like it will work well and maybe see about adding some mesh on the floor.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJ Cruiser TRD SE, and a 2019 4Runner TRD Premium
475 Posts

I purchased the adventure rack about 3 years ago also and vary happy with it. I adapted some lights on mine.:wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts