Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any commercial gas can carriers similar to ones that attach to Jeep's spare tires available for rear of FJ, I'm planning a cross country trip thru Death Valley and would like to carry some spare gas, thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
I'm not familiar with any, minus some rear bumpers that have swing out fuel can racks. Carrying extra fuel is always a good thing in my opinion. My wife and I are driving the FJ to Chicago tomorrow from south Louisiana. All I did was mount 2, 5 gallon military style fuel can on the rear area of the roof rack. I have seen people mount the cheap red fuel cans there too. I know this isn't what you were looking for, but I hope this helps.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1355371164.895448.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1355371183.267827.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Are there any commercial gas can carriers similar to ones that attach to Jeep's spare tires available for rear of FJ, I'm planning a cross country trip thru Death Valley and would like to carry some spare gas, thanks for any help.
The link I posted was broken so I deleted it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have been thinking of making one.....also removable, shouldnt be to hard......basically thinking of making one from a bicycle rack......weld it off half way up, fab up a plate to mount gas can holder.....done.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
My link that I posted above was broken so I tried to find the parts used in it to give an idea of what it was. The took a set up similar to the ones in the link below. On the FJ spare mount there is a half circle of metal that sticks out that fits into the center hole on the rim. He ground that off and then mounted up the piece in the link, mounted the spare, and then mounted the holder and gas can. It's worked for several years and lots of off road trips.

Off Road Unlimited Spare Tire Mount - Gas/Water Can/Jack Mount Bracket - Fluid Storage - Exterior Parts & Car Care - by 4 Wheel Parts

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Hey, that's pretty good! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks, it worked great! There are a few improvements I'd make to the "next one" though. First, it needs to swing/fold/something to make access to the rear door possible and second, it needs another anchor point, not to hold weight but to keep it from rocking. The rocking isn't bad at all until those smooth asphalt roads give way to rocky terrain.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Thanks, it worked great! There are a few improvements I'd make to the "next one" though. First, it needs to swing/fold/something to make access to the rear door possible and second, it needs another anchor point, not to hold weight but to keep it from rocking. The rocking isn't bad at all until those smooth asphalt roads give way to rocky terrain.
Looks great!

Do you plan on doing a second one with the modifications you listed because I would be very interested in one?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nicely done!

I would definitely opt for something like this over mounting to the stock tire carrier. I am far from an expert or an engineer, but I would not want to carry too much extra weight on the stock setup.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts

Cherry picker is Reese Hitch insert mounted...

but the jerry cans and Hi-Lift are attached (and removable) from my ladder...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ohiobenz does your system stress the rear door hinges at all ? I was going to build something similar but am rather affraid of how the stress will affect the hinges. I think I am going to go with they set up UTEFJ built.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had the same idea about wanting to carry an extra 10gal. of fuel but I also wanted some outside storage for dirty stuff. There's nothing decent on the market so I made my own.

I love this design! Let me k ow if you're ever willing to release the dimensions and get the hardworking done for me :D then I'd just have to find the material and weld it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
I had the same idea about wanting to carry an extra 10gal. of fuel but I also wanted some outside storage for dirty stuff. There's nothing decent on the market so I made my own.

That's a nice setup. I have one that a friend made for me several years ago that is similar. I had a '90 Toyota pickup and a Polaris ATV and when I'd go camping there was no place to put the cooler. I couldn't find anything that was ready made except for one basket that was over $700.

I drew out a rough outline of what I wanted and showed it to my friend and we figured out what we needed and built it. Mine comes out from the hitch and then has the angle and then the vertical. At the top it was left straight. The basket was approx 5'x2"x 1 1/2' tall and had a female receiver piece added on the back. It would sit on top of the "pole" from the truck hitch and hang towards the truck, opposite of yours, and that was it. No braces and just two tabs that extended out over the tailgate and were found to not be needed.

I carried a 40qrt cooler, Coleman camp stove, and depending on what I needed, water jugs/charcoal/Volcano stove/ or other stuff along side the cooler and stove. It worked great through many trips and it sits in my shed still today. I've thought about pulling it out and seeing what it would take to make it work with the FJ, but just haven't done it yet.

I lucked out when we made it as I could buy scrap metal from work. We got the main 2" steel for the receiver pieces and the expanded metal that way and only had to buy some sticks of 1"x1" steel. I think it cost around $35 to make.

Later on I bought a tilt bed snowmobile trailer to haul the ATV. We took a piece of metal to make a post on the front of the trailer and my basket could be slid over that post and would sit on the trailer to be used for fuel cans, tools, storage, etc.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts