Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, it's a great spot for the cooler. Sucks when you show up at your camp site after a decent off-road jaunt only to find a wet interior from your beer ice. My wife and I sleep in the FJ so we couldn't chance it. I just prefer to keep all the dirty/wet stuff outside the FJ when possible.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Where do you guys get those Military gas cans ? Are they steel ? I will have to pick up a couple the next time I drive to the States. I will be coming down HWY 15 through Idaho and Utah. Prefer not to stray to far off course in Salt Lake City, got wicked lost lost time we were there ehh.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Where do you guys get those Military gas cans ? Are they steel ? I will have to pick up a couple the next time I drive to the States. I will be coming down HWY 15 through Idaho and Utah. Prefer not to stray to far off course in Salt Lake City, got wicked lost lost time we were there ehh.
Search the forums. Several good threads on CARB and jerry can tech.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I took a look through search but got so many hits I couldnt beleive it. I was hoping from Idaho or Utah would say "Go here". I will read through the search results more on my night shifts.

I wonder if they are even legal in Canada ? I sure haven't seen any for several years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Garpoonga, I honestly don't know about the legality in BC but you can get quality cans shipped within Canada from DS Tactical in New West. I have friends who've used those before and no complaints.

DS Tactical

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks Ellipsis. I should be down there in the next couple months. I will go check them out. I was thinking the steel ones would be more durable, but I have also never broken one of my Red Scepter cans. Those just dont store as easily as this shape, especially on the roof.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Sportsman's Guide...$29.99 ea. I just bought 4 and the spout for an extra $10. Brand new and well built!

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,253 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just made a set up for a trip to Arizona in a few weeks. I got the Rotpax 4 gal can with their universal mounting plate and 2 DLX-T handles. The mounting straps that came with it were not long enough to span the cross arms on the FJ. I made four of my own by using straps made by Stanley Hardware. Find them in the fencing hardware section of a hardware store. Even though they are hot dipped galvanized I rubber coated them with Plasti Dip, this is in the paint section of big box hardware stores, to blend them in and give them some grip. I used 1.5 inch long 1/4" stainless steel screws. Total cost was about $260 for everything
http://www.rotopax.com
http://www.plastidip.com
ImageUploadedByAG Free1364334115.457606.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1364334135.789837.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1364334153.852369.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1364334169.882079.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I want some Rotopax, but man they are pricey once you get all the mounting hardware added.

I was at Cabellas this weekend and saw this.

Anyone try a marine fuel can like this? Will it work?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,253 Posts
Vegas Nick and a couple of others are using tanks like that on the roof and then refilling from them. I don't remember which threads for sure. I'm on my phone so I can't search very easily either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I looked at a few marine gas tanks. They would work some even had a gas pump looking handle that was gravity fed to transfer the gas. The tanks I looked at where 12 gallons. I didn't like the thought of 75 pounds concentrated on one spot of my stock roof rack. I also didn't want to fill up the tank while it was on the roof and don't want to lift up that much weight to put it up there. The biggest restraint that I have is my height clearance. I only have about 3 inches to spare pulling into my garage so the slim rotopax works out well for me. I have seen pictures of the marine tanks with a small electric pump on top in the forum that seemed like over kill for the few times I will use it.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,934 Posts
I looked at a few marine gas tanks. They would work some even had a gas pump looking handle that was gravity fed to transfer the gas. The tanks I looked at where 12 gallons. I didn't like the thought of 75 pounds concentrated on one spot of my stock roof rack. I also didn't want to fill up the tank while it was on the roof and don't want to lift up that much weight to put it up there. The biggest restraint that I have is my height clearance. I only have about 3 inches to spare pulling into my garage so the slim rotopax works out well for me. I have seen pictures of the marine tanks with a small electric pump on top in the forum that seemed like over kill for the few times I will use it.

It's go big or go home! :lol:

But yeah getting an electric pump is overkill unless you constantly plan to overland your FJ but how many people really do that?

The rotopax you have are an awesome product and i'm glad to hear that your experience with them as far as still maintaining your height has been positive!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
My link that I posted above was broken so I tried to find the parts used in it to give an idea of what it was. The took a set up similar to the ones in the link below. On the FJ spare mount there is a half circle of metal that sticks out that fits into the center hole on the rim. He ground that off and then mounted up the piece in the link, mounted the spare, and then mounted the holder and gas can. It's worked for several years and lots of off road trips.

Off Road Unlimited Spare Tire Mount - Gas/Water Can/Jack Mount Bracket - Fluid Storage - Exterior Parts & Car Care - by 4 Wheel Parts[/QUOTE

I tried this site and it was Jeep only. Does the parts fit on an FJ? Did you have to change anything about them, shape, size etc.?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,253 Posts
My link that I posted above was broken so I tried to find the parts used in it to give an idea of what it was. The took a set up similar to the ones in the link below. On the FJ spare mount there is a half circle of metal that sticks out that fits into the center hole on the rim. He ground that off and then mounted up the piece in the link, mounted the spare, and then mounted the holder and gas can. It's worked for several years and lots of off road trips.

Off Road Unlimited Spare Tire Mount - Gas/Water Can/Jack Mount Bracket - Fluid Storage - Exterior Parts & Car Care - by 4 Wheel Parts[/QUOTE

I tried this site and it was Jeep only. Does the parts fit on an FJ? Did you have to change anything about them, shape, size etc.?

Here's a new link with Volhoo's install which is pretty much the same as what the other guy did that I know and tried to post. I don't have this setup myself, I have the All Pro bumper and swing out.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/camping-equipment/55908-jerry-can-holder-spare-tire.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new here folks but I have had my FJ for four years. Considered the extra gas cans a number of times particularly after some long legs in western Canada last year. I have just had a local guy fabricate a set of "saddlebags" that fit over the spare tire. The offset of the one on the driver's side is to allow the rear door to fully open. The whole set up ran a little over $300 including gas cans, straps, materials and labor. It is made of heavy duty aluminum and weighs less than 20 pounds without fuel and another 60 pounds when full.

·
Registered
292 Posts

I used a band of stainless steal a strap and eye bolts to tighten it down.

Easy on and off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I was going to make myself a similr set up. I wonder though, how much that extra weight will affect the door and hinges long term. I am constantly in the back opening and closing that door, I don't like how it flexes when you close it just with the spare on it. Anyone have any long term usage info on a system like this ? How has it held up ?Any cracking or sagging ?

21 - 40 of 99 Posts