Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is my carrier with incorporated JC Whitney cooler (circa 1940's). Top rack removes by removing one pin and sliding rack up. I use a long siphon tube to refill without removing cans.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Another ratchet strap gas can holder. This one's from Redline Land Cruisers - CAM R.U.T. Mounts - Spare Tire Accessories Mounting System | Red Line Land Cruisers

Available piece by piece, and I feel it's kind of pricey for what it is, but I really like the idea. Thinking about buying one of the Adventure Trailer can holder (which are less $$) and replicating this idea.

All photographs courtesy of Redline Land Cruiser's website... :cheers:
Redline's not making these, just selling them. So is Toytec. I've got a couple of the upper mounts to carry around a shovel and axe and they are nice. They are very similar to the Rebel Offroad mounts but whereas the Rebel Offroad mounts are only designed for RotoPax, the CAM mounts can take RotoPax, standard can mounts, steps, Hilifts, shovels and axes, etc. Much more bang for your buck.

Colorado Artistic Metals

:clap:

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Redline's not making these, just selling them. So is Toytec. I've got a couple of the upper mounts to carry around a shovel and axe and they are nice. They are very similar to the Rebel Offroad mounts but whereas the Rebel Offroad mounts are only designed for RotoPax, the CAM mounts can take RotoPax, standard can mounts, steps, Hilifts, shovels and axes, etc. Much more bang for your buck.

Colorado Artistic Metals

:clap:
So that's what the 'CAM' stands for. Thanks for the heads up! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Thanks, it worked great! There are a few improvements I'd make to the "next one" though. First, it needs to swing/fold/something to make access to the rear door possible and second, it needs another anchor point, not to hold weight but to keep it from rocking. The rocking isn't bad at all until those smooth asphalt roads give way to rocky terrain.
Very nice. I like that the weight is transferred to the frame via hitch. The op is talking about attaching to the spare which puts too much weight on door and hinges in my opinion.

As far a your rocking problem, I simply run a ratchet strap from one side straight down to a D-ring. You could attach it under the bumper. It will be solid as can be.

Again, very nice fab job.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Great thread. There are many different ways to carry extra fuel. I built this:

DSC03345.jpg

Pros: Cheap, welded it up out of all scrap metal. The weight is transferred to the frame, not on the rear door. The center of gravity is low. Easy to access.

Cons: Must remove to open rear door. This hasn't proven to be that big of deal for me. I pack things a little differently when I carry cans. I love my suicide doors. Furthermore, the first can is empty just three hours into the trip. Making rack removal a breeze with only one full. I don't even remove them from the rack before I slide it out of the hitch.

There is added danger in the event of a rear end collision. On the roof there's the roll over danger. I'm not too concerned. I'm 54 years old and have yet to roll a vehicle of mine.

Many of the trips we embark on only require one can. Now that we have the high quality, cam locking military style cans Sweptwingnut turned us onto, we will simply lay the single can on the roof rack. I have seen pics of two cans resting on just two OEM cross members. I think this is really pushing the load limits for the cheap plastic hardware.

Talked to a guy in Ouray last summer who's OEM rack broke with cans and other stuff up there.

I really like how light the OEM rack is. That is why I am trying to keep it and respect it's limits. snafu58 hooked me up with his rack so now I'm running 8 cross members. I will place the full gas can on at least 3 if not 4 of them. Thanks Snafu58:rocker:

On the trail with steep off cambered slopes, the cans will be in the hitch!!

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, all!

Is there a risk in carrying extra cans on the roof rack? I like how the spare tire mounted solutions look, but I don't want to give the door hinges that extra load as well as put can and fuel weight that far on the rear end...

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Hey, all!

Is there a risk in carrying extra cans on the roof rack? I like how the spare tire mounted solutions look, but I don't want to give the door hinges that extra load as well as put can and fuel weight that far on the rear end...
I`ve always just carried my extra fuel tanks up on the rack. Laid over on their sides. Water also. I just bought the plastic 5 gallon fuel and water cans from local auto parts store and strap them up the there. Never any leaks :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not familiar with any, minus some rear bumpers that have swing out fuel can racks. Carrying extra fuel is always a good thing in my opinion. My wife and I are driving the FJ to Chicago tomorrow from south Louisiana. All I did was mount 2, 5 gallon military style fuel can on the rear area of the roof rack. I have seen people mount the cheap red fuel cans there too. I know this isn't what you were looking for, but I hope this helps.

View attachment 65862
View attachment 65863

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
This is exactly what I need. Can I ask what you used for straps? I assume the strap is looped under the crossbar to keep the cans from flipping up, and pulled tight enough to prevent wiggling?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I made a pair a can holders that I can bolt on to the my roof rack. Simple clamp method and it works well on any ladder type rack.

We used them on a trip from TX to CO through NM. Never had a problem with the cans being up there.

The new swingout can hold 3 if needed but normally holds a cooler. We have a travel lock that puts a 3rd point of contact on the rear swing out to triangulate the supports to keep strain off the spindle when its loaded.

The trailer is also designed to hold 4 cans, they are placed in front of the bed behind the spare to keep the weight forward.

I guess in a pinch I can carry 9 cans for 45 extra gallons so if we ever get into a road warrior situation I can get ~700 miles without having to refill. :)

Also my wife is getting a swing out that we can put 2 cans on for her 4Runner.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Exactly what I've been looking for years for.

Did you get the CB Mount, curious where that connects. Also curious about the ability to mount a Scepter gas can holder instead of a Jerry can holder???
I did not get the CB mount. I think Craig has a pic of the CB Mount on his website though.

Also, you can by any can craddle and fuel can you wish. The mounting tabs are roughly 8 inches apart I believe. So any jerry can/scepter can mount can be fabbed up in there. The eBay mount Craig recommends just happens to be what the brackets are designed around... and they are good can holders for the price.

John

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I followed the advice from (I think) the second post and got a couple military gas cans, and lashed them to my stock rack. Perfect. Cheap and low profile - exactly what I needed.

I'm ready for my trip driving from LA to Tierra del Fuego now! (Home - Ushuaia or Bust, Drive to South America)
Just keep checking the crossmembers. Mine kept loosening up every few days and I'd have to climb up and re-tighten them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Luckily with this setup I think it stays mostly tight even if the cross members loosen - as they're being pulled into the cans. And the bottom crossmember is being pulled up against the pole (I think).

But I will check frequently. Also finding a spout for the jerry cans is apparently impossible in CA. Maybe i can find one in Mexico. I just bought a funnel for now.

Hmmm - looking at that picture I'm starting to wonder if one of the jerry can handles is being yanked so much it could give out at some point. I need to check that. Maybe I should just loop through all 3 handles at once, to not put pressure on one individual handle, even though that isn't as stable.

One thing people keep bugging me about is if I have an extra spare. I thought about it but I'm not sure it would be 100% stable on the piece of roof rack I have left after what's used for the gas cans. I don't want to put it on the sun roof. Hopefully that won't become an issue.

I'm getting every fluid replaced in the car today - and with new brakes it's $1700 lol. I'm gonna feel real smart if I roll this thing in the first week.

I plan to leave in 2 days. Crazy! http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/planned-expeditions/683033-ushuaia-bust.html

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Also finding a spout for the jerry cans is apparently impossible in CA. Maybe i can find one in Mexico. I just bought a funnel for now.
Just get a shaker siphon, they work better than those donkey dick spouts anyway.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts