Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Does anyone know where I can order those Gas Cans and the Mount that go on the spare Tire?
FWIW, I'd avoid mounting a spare gas can to your spare tire. Adding approximately 40lbs to the already heavy spare is a recipie for ugly things.

I'd buy the flat gas can used on a lot of 4wheelers. Holds about 4 gallons and would fit nicely on your rack, providing you have one.

Mike

·
Registered
365 Posts
FWIW, I'd avoid mounting a spare gas can to your spare tire. Adding approximately 40lbs to the already heavy spare is a recipie for ugly things.

I'd buy the flat gas can used on a lot of 4wheelers. Holds about 4 gallons and would fit nicely on your rack, providing you have one.

Mike
I've seen this response before, is the issue on the mount? the hinges?

Is it due to impact when wheeling?

I can see it being an issue in an impact situation, but not under normal situations.

My thought is that people have the "GOBI ladder" which supports 150+ lbs when an adult is standing on it.

As long as the door stays closed when the fuel can is on there, it shouldn't be an issue. I've stood on my spar tire when climbing up on the roof rack for a picture, and I'm just over 200...

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

I can see it being an issue in an impact situation, but not under normal situations.

My thought is that people have the "GOBI ladder" which supports 150+ lbs when an adult is standing on it.

As long as the door stays closed when the fuel can is on there, it shouldn't be an issue. I've stood on my spar tire when climbing up on the roof rack for a picture, and I'm just over 200...
I drive 5 miles of pretty nasty dirt road every day. I've now had my FJ for just over a year and I'm beginning to have problems with my spare being too heavy and causing warbling noises to come from the mount. It is tight, but excessive off road pounding is just too much for it.

With the gobi, the person is standing right next to the hinges, not way out at the other end, levering the door. I know there are many who will argue that this will hold up to a 35" tire with heavy wheel without problems. Glad it is working for them. It certainly isn't for me. Athenaceleste can attest to how bad my road is (for a daily travel situation). Just not pretty. I take care of my rig too. It's not savagely beaten.

Imagine mounting your gas can on this wheel, then needing to open the rear door for something. Are you really going to take the gas can off?

I'm sure it works for some, but I would really avoid it. I'd look at alternative options.

Mike

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The Scepter can are the best gas tanks available. Also make sure that you put in the codes for the cans to get a discount on them.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
are there any gas cans that mount on the rear tire without modification

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Not that I am aware of...

-

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Volhoo I'm still waiting for my gas can mount from that damn place, back ordered:( its been 4 weeks..I will replace your pics with mine when it finally gets installed...thanks buddy couldn't have done it without you!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Hey man - not a problem - too bad you have to wait - see you at the summit soon - :cheers:

-

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

Closed, i do not think it is a huge issue as it is hinged and supporting weight on both sides of the door. But take a back pack or something and fill it with 40 pounds and then attach to the spare, then open and try and close. You will find that the latch sits a little low when you want to close it.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
My spare tire sits right "on" my all pro rear bumper and supports the weight of the gas can and the spare.

The tire actually rubs the (powder coated) paint right off the bumper in a little spot.

At first I was repainting the spot, but now I realize that is futile (it actually polishes a small spot on the bumper - no rust).

It works out great!

Perfect fit.

Just lucky I guess.

-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts