Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up 4 of these little guys (2gal) as back up. anyone else rocking these little guys? pros Vs. cons? this was a dry fit minus the 4th can. also, the local HomeDepot has the plastic 5gal. yellow Diesel jugs for about 2.50$ each, what's the difference between the Red for Gas and Yellow for Diesel besides the color? 2$ and some change sounds better then the 13$ for the red ones...

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Pros: inexpensive, small
Cons: small, will leak. Can leak even in the vertical position if they slosh enough.

I would use them to store gas in my garage. I wouldn't use them to transport gas on my vehicle.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks boss

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If you do use them, don't learn the hard way like I did, make sure that when you transport them that they are not directly in contact with your roof. Even with them secured tight there is a good chance they will rub into the painted surface via the movement/vibrations during your travels. Either, adjust your roof rack, or put a mat(a piece of old carpeting works for me) under them to get them off the paint.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
As far as i know, there isn't any difference in the inside of the can for diesel and gas. Just that diesel cans are typically yellow and gas typically red. No real difference though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As far as i know, there isn't any difference in the inside of the can for diesel and gas. Just that diesel cans are typically yellow and gas typically red. No real difference though.
Just be aware that in some areas it is illegal to put gas into a container marked for diesel, and vice versa. Also the gasket for gas or diesel are sometimes different. My NATO cans were shipped with diesel gaskets that were a pinkish color. I had to replace them with black gasoline gaskets. Gasoline ate through the pink ones.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I'd be worried about them sitting in the sun full of gas. If it's like the one I use for my lawn mower it swells up when it gets hot.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's all good. i'll probably end up not using them ... maybe i'll fill one or two up with water

·
Registered
7 Posts
Color Use
Red Gasoline
Green Gasoline (unleaded)
Yellow Diesel
Blue Kerosene
Tan or Light Blue Water (usually labeled)

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you ever get some, ditch those POS nozzles and get a long funnel to use.
Those CARB filler nozzles are the most useless things ever produced.

KyFJGuy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts