Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gas going up...FJ is gone, and I REALLY downsized!!!

Gas going up...FJ is gone, and I REALLY downsized lol! My brother and I went to check out the new FIAT 500 last weekend (I used to own a few MINI coopers and they are a blast to drive) and they have only been on sale here in the states for a few weeks. There was a black on black sport sitting in the showroom. I test drove one and they handle just like my old MINI cooper. Anyway, just for fun I asked the guy when I can get on trade in on my FJ, 2008, loaded, 25,000 miles. He came back with $25,000 trade in! I only paid $25,250 used a year ago with 6,000 miles on it! So with the rising gas, and amazing trade they offered I went for it and drove off with the showroom car. Its been insanely fun to drive and Im getting mid 30s in gas, that gas meter just won't drop down, its really hard to believe! Its 10 gallon tank and cost under $40 to fill and that get me close to 400 miles...coming from an FJ i can see the gas meter drop while I'm driving (joking, but if I floored it, yes I've seen it drop).

Anyway, I know they are two TOTALLY different vehicles but both are retro modern and super fun to drive. If anybody is looking for a second car, to sip gas in style, check out the FIAT!

I attached a pict... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
right on. so what is the going price for one of these fiats? To each their own, but to me it looks like a VW New Beetle humped a Dodge Neon, and the Fiat 500 is their bastard child.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
why not get a jetta TDI and get 50-60mpg in a vehicle that you could actually survive getting hit in???

·
Registered
180 Posts
i like it. our other car is an 09 mini cooper. it's so much fun to drive and it's getting right around 40 on the highway. Much better then 15 mpg tank. And our Mini is very safe. The last one was rear ended at about 35 mph and drove away with some rear quarter damage. Had some white trash pull out in front of it towing a full size blazer (no license or insurance of course).She drove away with a smashed headlight and some hood damage. European cars are so safe it's great. Sorry you had to get rid of the FJ but I really like the Fiat

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
No thanks, I have already owned a Chrysler product. Never again.

Also you can't ford a stream in a Fiat.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Good luck getting that go cart offroad

·
Registered
212 Posts
i put 100$ dollar in gasoline every 3days.. i still dont wanna trade my fj :)
i rather buy a second car used cheap car. u know corolla something likke that

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
why not get a jetta TDI and get 50-60mpg in a vehicle that you could actually survive getting hit in???
Great suggestion! Wish I would have did a little more research before I bought a 10' Hyudai Accent...It still gets respectable mileage at 33 city
37Hwy.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

·
Banned
393 Posts
I knew it was a matter of time before someone posted this ;) I wouldnt want to go head on against a Q7 in any vehicle, even another Q7!
Nobody wants to be involved in an accident. But I'd rather prefer to be sitting in my FJ than a Fiat 500 (or a MiniCooper, or Smart, or any other "mini-car"). Size, weight and sitting height make a big difference. My life is worth more than gasoline, even if I have to cut on weekend fun driving.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I expect more of these posts will come up as the prices get higher. I moved up from my Nissan Frontier to an FJ about 2 months ago. In the Frontier I was getting mid to upper 20s for fuel mileage (4 cyl) but it was always underpowered it seemed. I could never justify getting a larger vehicle vs the trade off for lower fuel economy because it seemed like such a big deal or that is what everyone made it out to be.

However, after looking at the price of fuel and how much I actually drive in a year there was not much difference at the end of the day. I usually drive under 6k a year. At 25 mpg that was costing me around $960 a year at $4/gallon prices. With the FJ say 18.5 mpg driving around 6k a year it would cost around $1297 a difference of only $337 between the two vehicles. I'm willing to pay that small difference to gain the extra room, more useful and possibly improved road safety over a smaller vehicle.

We still have a car (Volvo S40) we use most of the time. Of course these numbers would be completely different if you are driving 15k a year but for how much I drive it wouldn't save much to down grade.

·
Registered
276 Posts
airbag popped, painful death right there. The day I say thats enough, cant take getting shafted over gas, I am purchases an all electric car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great trade-in value on your fj but I don't think I could get rid of mine! I would miss my trips to the gas station to much!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
To each his own. If you are happy with the Fiat then enough said.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I will not let gas prices dictate what I drive, love the FJ too much and gas is still reasonable IMO. Hope you like the Fiat, I cant stand being in little cars but thats just me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The safety thing is a great point and it was something i was concerned about, but these cars are engineered really well and are pretty safe. In fact running into a wall, tree, parked car, guard rail or anything but head on id rather be in and its safer to be in the FIAT. The video with the Q7 was to actually illustrate how standards should be set to line up crash points between different vehicles. what you see there is not because the FIAT has horrible crash rating or its small but because the contact points between the two vehicles doesn't line up (the Q7s obviously being much higher). They are trying to set a world standard to make cars safer in a collision.

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/01/2012-fiat-500-safety-and-security.html

That being said, yes I do have to drive more careful compared to the FJ but there is a tradeoff for instance a much less chance of rollover in an accident in the FIAT ect...

I drive over 15,000 a year ($4000+ at $4.15 a gallon vs $1875 a year, saves $10,625 over 5 years and thats if gas says the same price). I also commute between cities on the weekend and have owned a bunch of small cars MINIs, scion Xb, AUDI TT, NISSAN 350Z with no real issues.

The FJ was completely amazing, and I wish I could have kept it forever...gas was its only downfall for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We drive my wifes 2000 Solara when we wanna be frugal on gas. It has a very fast and very fun to drive V6 and gets 23 in town if you drive it nice and 26-27 on the highway. Have fun with the Fiat but I'd rather park the FJ more and drive it less than get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts