2. Swings away to allow rear door use
3. Retains use of back up camera
4. Add recovery / tow point on hitch
5. Hold 10 gallons, and Hi-Lift jack
6. Maintains view through rear window
7. No vehicle mods, easy to remove
8. Uses factory hitch receiver
9. Lightweight

I've just finished it this week, and I haven't loaded it with gas, or bounced it all around yet, but I will be in a week. If I make more of them, I think I'll weld the shelf to the angle bracket, but otherwise, I'm happy with it.

The mount is offset about right so that it contacts the tire at four points. I'll add some sort of wear resistant fabric there, but at the moment, just using some tape.

The hitch does stick out a ways, reducing the exit angle a bit, but at least there's nothing under it to catch. If I make more, I'll add another hitch-pin hole along it so that it could be used without the carrier, and not stick out.

It uses two No-Spill 5 Gal cans, they were the highest rated jugs I could find.

Thoughts???

(2011 6MT Quicksand)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Clever solution :bigthumb:

I personally would not use that shackle point though. The slightest angle on a pull is going to bend the snot out of that aluminum bar. The amount of forces involved in a recovery are extreme. I would just use the stock recovery points.

The only other "fine touch" i would suggest is a more elegant method to keep the bar attached to the spare. Getting in and out of the rear and having to redo the straps each time would be a pain.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I just copied this design with some small changes and and submitted MY design to the Patent office...

Nice idea and work on something that many will or might use to solve their storage situation! :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Haha I'm glad somebody finally did this. I've been spitballing this idea in my head for a few months now. I just don't have the ability to do it. To me it seems like an obvious idea. I agree with Layton, about the straps. Get a plate that can bolt to the tire holder, and then weld a long enough bolt on it that slides through a hole on your holder, put a wing nut on it, and you're in business.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm surprised no-one has though of modifying a hitch mount bicycle carrier for this same purpose.

The Thule revolver i'm selling would work awesome. take off the bicycle holders and mount on a couple of brackets to hold gas cans and hi-lift.

Its already designed to swing out of the way for access to back cargo area.

Only problem I see with it is departure angle would suffer big time. And the cost is a bit high. Although some creative soul with a welder could solve those problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as bending the hitch, I calculate it would require about 6500 lbs of straight sideways force to cause a permanent bend. If you are pulling with anything resembling a straight angle, you are going to break your straps before you bend the bar.

The single bolt might pivot slightly if you really try, but you are strapping to the tire, so it's not going to rotate!

I'd also like to have a better way of holding it against the tire, but want to make sure there's some play... Two straps go on pretty quick... still thinking.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
DigiSnapMark

watch your departure angle because it is very easy to do this with the factory hitch.
I drag this all the time off road.

JKFJ08

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,810 Posts
I'm surprised no-one has though of modifying a hitch mount bicycle carrier for this same purpose.
i have! but the rack that hangs off of the spare tire... if i remember right, i think the Thule holds up to 150lbs(?) but that's for another thread.... i like the idea and i agree with one of the guys above about the one bolt being a pivot. i would keep the bolt and weld the joints. let us know how it is lowering it fully fueled

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I like it. Nice and clean and can be removed when your not offroading. Nice job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I modified a bicycle carrier to carry my 7' tripod hunting stand. It worked pretty good and could easily be modified to carry tools, jacks and gas cans. However, you can't tow a trailer and you have to turn off the backup sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back from 2000 miles on the road, and 140 off road, in the desert mountains of Arizona. No problems with the structure. Both gas cans leaked when sloshed around, so I didn't dare tilt it all back without taking the cans off.

The straps were fine, and didn't take but a few minutes to totally take down. No particular rubbing on the tires.

Bottomed out the hitch a few times, but nothing dramatic.

When tilted back, it took some care to step around, when accessing stuff in the back.

Summary... works fine, would prefer something to swing out to the side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts