Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this thread topic is currently a dime a dozen currently and I know I'm not alone in the arena. I recently reached 300 miles on one tank for the first time, basically because I've been driving the speed limit. My last 2 tanks have ~320 miles per tank.

I kid you not I've been coasting like mad, up to stop signs (I drive on long country roads in where I barely pass someone). I have memorized almost each spot to where I pop it into neutral and coast before each stop sign, at times coasting almost up to almost a 1/2 of a mile. I'm obviously doing this to try to eeeeek out as many miles per gallon as I can in an effort to try to again, rationalize keeping this vehicle.

I've never been a 4x4 kinda of guy. I've always been a sports car nut. I have a Porsche that's a garage queen (translation - hardly ever drive) and prior to the FJ I have never really had a 4x4 as a daily driver as an adult. I followed the FJ from talk to print to prototype to realization and honest just got so obsessed with it that I just had to have it when it 1st came out.

I'm in the vehicle right so I'm not going to take a bath on it other than some obvious depreciation being a 2 year old vehicle. The BIG thing is that I'm closing on building my dream home on a gorgeous lake out in the country and honestly the FJ was more of a "WANT" not a "NEED". As one can imagine I'm a bit tight on money as we are building this house exactly how we want it.

I'm rambling here - I'll cut to the chase. The wife is selling her Isuzu Trooper (get's worse than the FJ mpg wise) we basically have it almost paid off. She thinks we can keep the FJ and buy a small economy high gas mileage vehicle and drive it everywhere and just keep the FJ for the winter. Here's the problem - I'm building the house with a 3 car garage (for my Porsche) so this would translate to 2 vehicles that hardly ever get driven.

See my point - at what point do I sell? How can I rationalize keeping this?

Confused In Michigan,
Cory

Registered
Listen to your wife.. I mean that. I learned to listen to mine and it pays off every time. Keep the fj and let her get a smaller car if she wants to. and I know she is thinking of you and your happiness with the fjc.. It will all work out.. it just will...

You might hate my perspective but,

I would sell the sports car. :bandit:

Registered
Yep.. Sell the sports car and set a quota at Zappos.com...:bandit: Ron

I know this thread topic is currently a dime a dozen currently and I know I'm not alone in the arena. I recently reached 300 miles on one tank for the first time, basically because I've been driving the speed limit. My last 2 tanks have ~320 miles per tank.

I kid you not I've been coasting like mad, up to stop signs (I drive on long country roads in where I barely pass someone). I have memorized almost each spot to where I pop it into neutral and coast before each stop sign, at times coasting almost up to almost a 1/2 of a mile. I'm obviously doing this to try to eeeeek out as many miles per gallon as I can in an effort to try to again, rationalize keeping this vehicle.

I've never been a 4x4 kinda of guy. I've always been a sports car nut. I have a Porsche that's a garage queen (translation - hardly ever drive) and prior to the FJ I have never really had a 4x4 as a daily driver as an adult. I followed the FJ from talk to print to prototype to realization and honest just got so obsessed with it that I just had to have it when it 1st came out.

I'm in the vehicle right so I'm not going to take a bath on it other than some obvious depreciation being a 2 year old vehicle. The BIG thing is that I'm closing on building my dream home on a gorgeous lake out in the country and honestly the FJ was more of a "WANT" not a "NEED". As one can imagine I'm a bit tight on money as we are building this house exactly how we want it.

I'm rambling here - I'll cut to the chase. The wife is selling her Isuzu Trooper (get's worse than the FJ mpg wise) we basically have it almost paid off. She thinks we can keep the FJ and buy a small economy high gas mileage vehicle and drive it everywhere and just keep the FJ for the winter. Here's the problem - I'm building the house with a 3 car garage (for my Porsche) so this would translate to 2 vehicles that hardly ever get driven.

Confused In Michigan,
Cory

Registered
Sounds like the perfect scenario. You will have a small economical car when you need it. A fast car when you need it. And a 4X4 when you need. Now all you need to do is justify a boat down the road and you will be set.

Registered
If you rationalize the situation in your mind like you put it in writing sell the fj and the trooper build your house when you get in better shape money wise get what you want at that time or what your situation allows. Just from reading your post that sounds like what you have already got in your mind.

Registered
Wow, 320 mi/tank?? I get 240 when the wind is behind me, and that's not driving above teh speed limit. The coasting thing is a little strange though since you actually are at a higher RPM in neutral than in drive (I have the AT). Now, keeping or parting with the FJ... I think that prices for gas are going to be high or higher for while. For me, my FJ is my only vehicle for a family of 4. I have no option to go for a smaller higher MPG vehicle, just rebudget my fuel costs, question every trip we do and realize that in the end, my FJC is my entertainment. Its my project and its what I'll be working on in 15 years waranting no crash with a careless driver. I would ditch the Isuzu and the sports car (I'm a practical guy, though a porsche is beautiful, I need the 4x4 for my trips and space for my family; a porsche would be a paperweight in usefullness for me). Proceeds from said sale goes to paying off the FJ (if not done), pay cash for a high MPG whatever and put anything else towards the house (if not done already). I feel the whole high fuel price issue is affecting people more than it should since many people also face paying off debt including vehicles.

I'm paying 620/mo on my FJ plus about 400 for gas in my budget. Thats harsh, yes. If the FJ were paid off, the 'cost' of the FJ/mo would drop from 1020 to 400. You could even drive it more if you wanted to for that price.

Its a hard decision, and lord knows I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. I can imagine your porsche is really pretty. Though I'd use the extra car space in the garage for more fine upgrades to the FJ :)

Cheers,
Chris

Registered
OK, here's what you need to do: Give the Porsche to me, I'll PM my information & I'll pay the shipping, Don't even think about it, Just do it. Thank You.

Registered
Sounds like the perfect scenario. You will have a small economical car when you need it. A fast car when you need it. And a 4X4 when you need. Now all you need to do is justify a boat down the road and you will be set.
I think Brick hit it on the head.:rocker:

I will take the city bus in the summer, just to have my FJ in the winter (if I have to).

Premium Member

Premium Member
I'd dump the Porsche. I've learned my lesson with old cars, fast cars, convertibles, etc. While there are more practical/more efficient 4wd vehicles than the FJ, the Porsche is the "want" much more so than the FJ in my opinion. I get involved with "professional organizing" projects on occasion and find that far too many people have too many never used or rarely used possessions that are a stressful drag on their existance not only because of the money involved with the upkeep but also the time and space involved.

Premium Member
hehehe, You remember what the two best days in a boat owner's life are don't you ? The day you bring it home and the day you sell it.

I can attest to that especially with the high-gas prices. Although, if I had unlimited income or lived on a lake, I'd probably get another one.

Premium Member
First of all, DO NOT dump the 951. I'm married to a Rennlister (I know you're over there, too) and I know how miserable that would leave you. If anything was to happen to either of ours I think someone would be likely to jump off a bridge.

If you feel like it would actually benefit you to sell the FJ, then go for it, BUT, think long and hard and if your wife says no go, then listen to her. We wives are often right, and can be very analytical when making our decisions.

I would let the Trooper go and see where that leads. I would definitely keep in mind how soft the market is for SUVs and that it may not be that big of a financial help to try to sell after all.

Good luck!

Registered
OK, here's what you need to do: Give the Porsche to me, I'll PM my information & I'll pay the shipping, Don't even think about it, Just do it. Thank You.
:rofl:

DO NOT sell the Porsche. You will regret it for the rest of your life. I made a deal with the devil (uh, I mean my husband) to sell my vintage Benz (and my new Tacoma) in order the get the FJ, and while I sniffled when I exchanged the Tacoma, I cried a real RIVER when the Benz drove away down the street.

Today I saw a PERFECT 300SL gullwing Benz here in Germany, and I almost peed in my pants.

Can you just start eating Top Ramen or something to save money?? :D

fka fatbrat40
I feel for ya, I drive my FJ as a daily driver as well..I drive 60 mph on the hwy
and interstate..in town I drive easy on the gas and slow down way before I need to for lights stops signs..it takes a little practice, but worth it in the end
I am getting anywhere from 325-355 a tank with BFG Muds 17.50-19.70 mpg
now i have a newer porsche turbo in the garage that is a queen like yours
so what I am sayimg keep the porsche, but don't sacfice the dream house to do so. drive the FJ a little slower and keep the mpg up..until it doesn't make since to do so anylonger..remember the Dream Home is the main project here.
good luck :bigthumb:

Registered

Confused In Michigan,
Cory
Never in a million years would I have thought I would ever heard somebody complain about gas prices being to high, all the while building a house on a lake with a porsche in the garage.

Sounds like a god awful situation to be in, if you ask me.

Best of luck.

Premium Member
Never in a million years would I have thought I would ever heard somebody complain about gas prices being to high, all the while building a house on a lake with a porsche in the garage.

Sounds like a god awful situation to be in, if you ask me.

Best of luck.
Just so you know, not all Porsches are $50k-$100k cars. Cory has a beautiful 951, I have a 924S (paid $6k for it) and a 911 (paid $20k for it.) My FJ cost more than the two combined so don't assume that a nameplate equals spending insane money on a car, but thanks for a lesson in how to generalize people.

Also, both of my Porsches get 25-30 mpg as opposed to my FJ only getting 17mpg on a good day of highway only driving.

Registered
Just so you know, not all Porsches are $50k-$100k cars. Cory has a beautiful 951, I have a 924S (paid $6k for it) and a 911 (paid $20k for it.) My FJ cost more than the two combined so don't assume that a nameplate equals spending insane money on a car, but thanks for a lesson in how to generalize people.

Also, both of my Porsches get 25-30 mpg as opposed to my FJ only getting 17mpg on a good day of highway only driving.
:boohoo:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts