Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the tip from MattMainster. Go to your local FRY's electronics or the like and pick up a can of PureTronics contact cleaner. dont make a mistake and buy the compressed air duster, it need to be electronic contact cleaner. This is mostly for those with a CAI. the oil and dust will build up on your MAF and kill your gas mialage. It only takes a flathead screwdriver and a can of this stuff. spray liberally onto the matchtip looking probe as well as up into the hollow sides of the sensor. I was getting 13 MPG hwy, now I'm up to 15 and i got alot of weight and fat tires. probably better for those with less mods.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You can also take a Q-tip and some denatured alcohol and carefully clean the area. Be careful because some electrical cleaners can leave an oily film as some are also degreasers. I use the denatured alcohol to clean all kinds of electrical stuff like CD/DVD laser pickups, VCR/Cassette heads, Turntable needles, RC car parts, Solder Flux residue and so on. Thanks for the tip also. Sounds like I will pull my MAF this week for an inspection. This has got me thinking about the TB as well for gunk build up.:wave:

·
Registered
849 Posts
yikes........you were getting 13 mpg? wow. i think i'm going to stop my mods right now. :(
i just checked my mpg again and getting 15.75
i'll keep an eye on that sensor thingy though! good advice. thanks

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I too use alcohol..A good swab of Gentlemans Jack is a cure all :D

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I advise AGAINST a Q-Tip.

ACETECHNO is the Ace Technician (enough said). For most of us ham-handed garage mechanics, there is a danger of breaking that <thin> sensor wire. Spray the heck out of it with electronics cleaner, allow to dry.

ALSO, it's not a bad idea to take the entire air intake housing off and inspect for dust every 20K miles or so.

I learned the HARD WAY about the MAF sensor (a different thread).:lol:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You can also take a Q-tip and some denatured alcohol and carefully clean the area. Be careful because some electrical cleaners can leave an oily film as some are also degreasers. I use the denatured alcohol to clean all kinds of electrical stuff like CD/DVD laser pickups, VCR/Cassette heads, Turntable needles, RC car parts, Solder Flux residue and so on. Thanks for the tip also. Sounds like I will pull my MAF this week for an inspection. This has got me thinking about the TB as well for gunk build up.:wave:
Well, I'm coming up on 30k and I want to clean my MAF and change the plugs. I think I'll try the qtip and alcohol technique. I've always been really good at probing things with qtips.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was told not to touch it with anything due to it's fragility, thats why I got the contact cleaner, Its alot easier to do. spray it on and it dries almost instantly, but whatever you choose, just be careful.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Yes...if you have an aftermarket K&N type of filter, you must take care of the MAF sensor on a routine basis. The MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor - the thingy that helps regulate your air/fuel mixture, takes the temp of the incoming air, etc) will get gunked up by any blow-by oil from an oiled air filter, and even faster if you have over-oiled it after cleaning. So, it is recommended that when you clean the filter, also clean the MAF sensor.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
i will be stopping by radio shack on the way home from work to pick up a bottle of this.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Is it obvious what/where the MAF sensor is when you pull the air filter?
You won't have to pull the air filter. The MAF is downstream in the air inlet tube. You'll lift up the fancy plastic engine cover on top and see the MAF with two screws and a connector. Use the search function and then look in Uphill's thread for pictures

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Most auto parts stores carry this.

The MAF actually measures airflow into the engine.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
695 Posts
Most auto parts stores carry this.

The MAF actually measures airflow into the engine.

DEWFPO

...... and temperature! :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts