Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying the FJ is the greatest vehicle I've ever owned. That being said the gas mileage is terrible. My summer truck is an F100 with a 360 and I can still get 20 miles per gallon fairly regularly. Has anyone looked into a temporary chip or mod or something to get better gas mileage? I would love to have this as my daily driver but I don't need the balls out torque that it puts out all the time, just when I want it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What mileage are you getting? What mods are on it now?

Larger tires, more weight, and additional aero drag all have an impact.

For reference, my 2012 is stock with no roof rack and p metric mild all terrains in the stock size. I get high 18s mpg in the winter and high 19s in the summer; over 20 on long interstate trips. 70 percent big city freeway use (occasional stop and go) and 30 percent surface streets.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
kind of a popular subject here, do a search and read up

summary (as already stated most succinctly by Sanderhawk above): people have proposed all sorts of ideas, but none have resulted in anything meaningful, the FJ is a brick

And the more you mod, the more your mpg drops. Sad, but true, the most fun things in life come at a cost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What mileage are you getting? What mods are on it now?

Larger tires, more weight, and additional aero drag all have an impact.

For reference, my 2012 is stock with no roof rack and p metric mild all terrains in the stock size. I get high 18s mpg in the winter and high 19s in the summer; over 20 on long interstate trips. 70 percent big city freeway use (occasional stop and go) and 30 percent surface streets.
I haven't even had it a week , maybe learning to drive it will make a big difference. But I drove it home on a 300 mile interstate trip and all I got was Hi sixteens. I thought maybe the gears were changed to make it absurdly low ( the previous owner did tow a lot with it) but the speedometer is spot on. It's a 07 manual with crazy high miles... and in response to other posts... I knew the mileage would be bad, I did not know it would be this bad. Any thoughts at all are appreciated!

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's a 07 manual
The manuals are full time 4WD. Mine is an auto and therefore 2WD unless I engage the 4WD. My experience isn't relevant to your situation.

IIRC FJs until 2010 recommended/required premium fuel? Someone with more knowledge will confirm or deny. I know there are threads on this an whether or not it makes a difference.

As for driving style... When I purchased my FJ, I know mine became a bit more relaxed for a variety of reasons. Mainly, I coast more and use the brakes less. While I think the brakes are mechanically excellent, physics and all terrain tires have relaxed my stop and go tendencies.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
But the national gas price avg is 2.59 (2.21 Missouri, 3.55 Cali). Never been a better time to have an FJ.
And you’ll probably find yearly maintenance and repair is low and resale high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
11,817 Posts
High 16's, your close to the rated mpg for a 6MT - 17 mpg.

Your doing pretty well I'd say.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2012 TT, 223,000 miles, running KO2 tires. Average 20,5 mpg in mixed driving. Long freeway trips to lower desert for hunting will get up to 23 per gallon. Live in So. Cal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 auto with a rtt, 3 inch lift, and 285/70/17 wildpeak mt tires(about 64 pounds each) and I'm getting about 13 mpg highway... and it's my daily

·
Registered
248 Posts
2012 TT, 223,000 miles, running KO2 tires. Average 20,5 mpg in mixed driving. Long freeway trips to lower desert for hunting will get up to 23 per gallon. Live in So. Cal.
You have a unicorn. When my 13TT was stock it averaged 17 mixed, 19 highway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had my 2010 4x4 auto FJ for a little over a year. Whatever lift Icon 2.5 front coilovers and OME springs in the back give it (previous owner installed, I'm thinking 2" or 3"). Tracking every gallon I've bought, mostly city driving, and adjusting for GPS readings, I get a bit over 15mpg.

I had 60+ pound BFG KO2's on it when I got it, dropped to 45# DuraTracs (slightly shorter), and saw ZERO change in actual gas mileage. By the odometer the MPG's got better, but the odometer read short with the taller BFG's, so using GPS readings to compensate, the MPG's are virtually the same.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Are you driving 55 mph on the so cal freeways to achieve that MPG? :eek:

I have the twin to your car, with the exact tires, and when we are on our way to the Desert, doing 75-80mph, doesn't get me close to your MPG. :)
Then again at the speeds I am driving in So Cal highway to keep up with traffic, I can't expect to get 23 MPG :devilish:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Regardless of single or dual VVTi engine or auto/manual driveline, the following will maximize MPG:

1. Run tire pressure at the high end of the tire's rating. I run 46 PSI in my "E" load range K02s, stock size while on the road.

2. Upshift at no higher than 2000 or 2200 RPM. This will force you to drive like a grandmother, but will provide a measurable improvement in MPG.

3. Set a max speed limit of 65 MPH. Depending on where you are this will typically force you to spend 90% of your time in the far RH lane, but given the horrendously poor aerodynamics of the FJ drag increases dramatically with speed.

4. As far as possible, minimize the use of the brakes on anything but downgrades.. Watch far ahead for traffic lights, stop signs, slowing traffic, etc. and slowly COAST to a stop whenever possible. Anytime you are actively braking, think of it as trickling a constant stream of pennies out the window. You burned fuel to put forward momentum into the vehicle, and anytime you are braking (on the flat) you are totally wasting that momentum, converting it into heat rather than forward motion.

5. Possibly most valuable is to get an means of monitoring real-time fuel consumption. An inexpensive Bluetooth OBD-II dongle ($25) plugged into the OBD port plus some Android device (phone, small tablet, etc) running the Torque Pro app ($5) will give you instantaneous, long-term, and "trip" fuel consumption data, along with dozens of other parameters like exact coolant temperature, transmission temperature, alternator output voltage, timing advance, etc., etc.

This will allow you to see EXACTLY, in real time, how throttle opening, gear selection, engine speed, load, and vehicle speed affect fuel consumption.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts