Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
#2 for the MT is not a good point. I get better mpg shifting around the 2,500 rpm mark. 2,000 is to low for the MT FJ.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m in an 09 with 85k and getting 15/16 at best with KO2s. They are a size bigger which contributes to the reading. Used to get much better mileage when I got the FJ I feel; 275 miles to the tank vs 235 nowadays. Was up in the 18/20 range back then. Maybe have a sensor going bad but haven’t had any lights come on. Figure it’s just part of driving an FJ!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have an '07 MT6, owned since new, relatively low miles, stock size Michelins, OEM roof rack. 17 to 18 is the best I ever average on the highway unless I'm driving 60 mph or less. Around town is closer to 16. Towing my 6x12 enclosed motorcycle trailer it drops to 13. Ouch! All the normally mentioned driving techniques will help keep you above 15 but I think 20 is an optimistic target for one of these vehicles in normal use. Make sure your air cleaner is in good shape and you are not carrying hundreds of pounds of unused gear around. Using ethanol free gas can get you an extra 1 or 2 mpg but won't save you any money.

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Jade (2013 auto). Bone stock I never saw above much above 18mpg and I have a light RH foot. Combined always seemed to be in the 17's. As I added weight I'm down in the 14-15's. I try not to drive over 60 even on the freeways, more for the wind noise.

Jade is not a daily driver since I've been retired and only sees 50-55 when going to/from our off road rides.

I took @FJtest advice and got a Samsung Tab E, Torque Pro and BAFX dongle for the reasons he stated.

My Dodge Dakota (stock) only averaged 16 mpg combined. An older one with 390 gears did worse.

edit: Both Dakotas were 4.7L

Enjoy your FJ, smiles per mile ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a '13 TT with 285/75/16 trail grapplers, and I get 14 no matter what I do, how fast I drive, or how slow. I'm rocking on 115k miles, thinking a tune up may be in short order to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2008 MT6AWD - it gets 15mpg no matter how we drive it. City, highway, 2 track, 15mpg is what it does, basically since new. I think we got 22 once with a 20mph tailwind for 200 miles but other than no better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't even had it a week , maybe learning to drive it will make a big difference. But I drove it home on a 300 mile interstate trip and all I got was Hi sixteens. I thought maybe the gears were changed to make it absurdly low ( the previous owner did tow a lot with it) but the speedometer is spot on. It's a 07 manual with crazy high miles... and in response to other posts... I knew the mileage would be bad, I did not know it would be this bad. Any thoughts at all are appreciated!
I drive an 08 manual with the stock off road drivetrain 74,000 miles on it and I get about 16 in the winter, and 18+ in the summer here in Alaska. I only run 91 octane in it, though I have noticed a mileage improvement with 91 octane Chevron, and Shell fuels on long distance drives over other “brands” of premium. In a 1400 mile trip this last summer using Shell I got 21.4 mpg, though that was 95% hwy driving.
Though I will be selling it in the next two months, mileage is not my reason for doing so. I have a new 2020 2 door Jeep JLR project that is replacing it.
I hope this gives a little perspective.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
2014 4WD auto ... after initial 6K mile break-in, on stock Dunlop tires, without roof-rack or any other mods, driven conservatively (65 max on freeway, gentle starts, etc.) was able to consistently achieve mid-23 MPG.

With substantial mods (aluminum roof-rack, hard-shell RTT, aluminum armor, fridge, load range E KO2 tires, on-board air compressor, etc.) I can still consistently achieve slightly over 21 MPG on flat So. California freeways, again with very conservative driving technique. Any head-wind, on-ramp acceleration contests, etc. will affect fuel consumption pretty dramatically.

With a real-time display of instantaneous fuel consumption (through the OBD interface), you will very quickly learn what combinations of engine RPM, throttle position, engine load, and gear will push fuel consumption down into the single-digit range, and how to avoid those conditions.

I kept close track of fuel consumption during the '19 FJ Summit (So. California to Ouray), and got an on-highway average of 20.66 MPG, with the AC on for 90% of the trip. I weighed the rig In Cortez, CO and was shocked to see 5540 lbs. ( 2 people & a dog) with a full fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I’m in an 09 with 85k and getting 15/16 at best with KO2s. They are a size bigger which contributes to the reading. Used to get much better mileage when I got the FJ I feel; 275 miles to the tank vs 235 nowadays. Was up in the 18/20 range back then. Maybe have a sensor going bad but haven’t had any lights come on. Figure it’s just part of driving an FJ!
I can pretty much guarantee that you'll see an immediate improvement in fuel consumption if you replace the two air/fuel sensors in the exhaust system.
The air-fuel sensors have a useful life span of about 7-8 years or 75-100K miles. They don't die suddenly, they slowly degrade and don't provide accurate information to the engine ECU, and fuel economy suffers. They won't trigger the CEL unless the heater burns out, or the response time gets so slow that it fails to meet some stored reference value.

Also, have you cleaned the mass airflow sensor in the intake tract? A dirty MAF sensor will also adversely affect mixture control.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve been driving Landcruisers since 1980 and have owned 6 in the 40-years driving them (three were FJs, last one a 2014). NO Landcruiser 4-door or two-door variant will ever get “good” gas mileage whatever you do period. These vehicles are NOT designed for gas economy. The best mileage I ever got was with my 2008 FJ. I got 20 mpg with a 6MT with 275-75 BF KOs, driving at 63mph for 300 mi on one tank of gas. The driving was at night on a dry crisp cool night. I love Landcruisers despite their poor fuel economy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2014 4WD auto ... after initial 6K mile break-in, on stock Dunlop tires, without roof-rack or any other mods, driven conservatively (65 max on freeway, gentle starts, etc.) was able to consistently achieve mid-23 MPG.

With substantial mods (aluminum roof-rack, hard-shell RTT, aluminum armor, fridge, load range E KO2 tires, on-board air compressor, etc.) I can still consistently achieve slightly over 21 MPG on flat So. California freeways, again with very conservative driving technique. Any head-wind, on-ramp acceleration contests, etc. will affect fuel consumption pretty dramatically.

With a real-time display of instantaneous fuel consumption (through the OBD interface), you will very quickly learn what combinations of engine RPM, throttle position, engine load, and gear will push fuel consumption down into the single-digit range, and how to avoid those conditions.

I kept close track of fuel consumption during the '19 FJ Summit (So. California to Ouray), and got an on-highway average of 20.66 MPG, with the AC on for 90% of the trip. I weighed the rig In Cortez, CO and was shocked to see 5540 lbs. ( 2 people & a dog) with a full fuel tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The manuals are full time 4WD. Mine is an auto and therefore 2WD unless I engage the 4WD. My experience isn't relevant to your situation.

IIRC FJs until 2010 recommended/required premium fuel? Someone with more knowledge will confirm or deny. I know there are threads on this an whether or not it makes a difference.

As for driving style... When I purchased my FJ, I know mine became a bit more relaxed for a variety of reasons. Mainly, I coast more and use the brakes less. While I think the brakes are mechanically excellent, physics and all terrain tires have relaxed my stop and go tendencies.
Howzit guys im from South Africa, i also have a FJ love the car!! mine 2012 model i find that the car can either be extremely heavy on fuel or reasonable.
First i must say that the Manuel FJ cruiser is much heavier on fuel than the auto trans, reason being im assuming and correct me if Im wrong, the Manuel only has 4 gears the auto however does have sort of a overdrive i think, again i satnd to be corrected but if not, for some reason the auto is much lighter on fuel.
On long trips if i drive at 120 KPH (sorry here we use metric but im sure u can work it out in miles) the car is as economic as a normal small car would be because i did a very long trip the other day and because i kept at a certain speed all the way i did it on a ful tank that would be 600 Km like any smal car, as u know the FJ has a smal tank

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 my wife complains about mpg, my response is as long as we can purchase fuel without lines don't worry about mpg. It's a safe comfortable off road vehicle. I weight the F-350 7.3 liter loaded with fuel in Cortez, Co. 8300 lbs, fiver 13940lbs loaded 22240lbs we smile at 9.5 mpg with the RV, Clark. lol Oh btw nice scales in Cortez no wait time.

·
Registered
4 Posts

morrelldrm
Registered

Joined 11 months ago

1 Posts

#33 a moment ago

I have a 2008 my wife complains about mpg, my response is as long as we can purchase fuel without lines don't worry about mpg. It's a safe comfortable off road vehicle. I weight the F-350 7.3 liter loaded with fuel in Cortez, Co. 8300 lbs, fiver 13940lbs loaded 22240lbs we smile at 9.5 mpg with the RV, Clark. lol Oh btw nice scales in Cortez no wait time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've owned my rwd 07 since Jan of 2009. It's by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it with 20k miles on it. It now has 198k miles, plus I've towed it 4 down behind a motorhome for an additional 30-40k miles. It always gets 20 mpg, ALWAYS. I have never run anything but regular unleaded in it. Had I known before I bought it that Toyota recommended running super unleaded I wouldn't have bought it. It has the original O2 sensors and the original MAP. A couple of months ago I changed the PCV valve and cleaned the throttle body for the first time. The alternator gave up last month. Almost nothing else has failed. I've changed the headlight bulbs and spark plugs 4 times. I did a complete brake job(rotor, calipers, pads, hoses) at 135k and they still had some meat left.
Mods? Bilstein 5100 front shocks, brush guard, Pareto Point Industries Topdog V engine oil bypass filtration system, remote mount spin-on trans filter. I've never changed the oil in less than 10k miles, and I've gone as long as 18k miles. I've run many types of synthetic engine oil. I always run Amsoil ATF and rear gear oil. I have no plan to get rid of it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts