Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
FJ = SPG. Smiles per gallon!

Tundra crewmax = MPGLOL

Just trying to burn it all before they outlaw it.......

·
Registered
Have a 2008 FJC has been built not bought i have a Resfab front bumper and expedition one rear bumpe
9 Posts
Hi there,

I hope you can give me a piece of advice to improve my fuel economy in my 07 FJ Cruiser 4WD A/T Base, I'm struggling with its 12-14 mpg each time that I hit the road. I bought this truck for camping trips, long drives, 300, 500, 800, 1000 miles and it's killing me.

I've installed:

A set of 33 in mud terrain tires (I'll replace them for a 33-in Toyo Open Country AT III),
TRD performance air intake,
AFE throttle body spacer,
AFE 3 in exhaust system,
New spark plugs,
Cleaned MAF sensor,
Clean O2 sensors,
Changed CAM position sensor,

Even though it has improved on performance and torque, I still can see the fuel economy is bad, I'd say 14 mpg. I'm planning to regear it, probably with a 3.91 gear set for my 33 in wheelset but I was told that a 4.56 one is what I need.

What would you recommend?
Well I have a 2008 trail team with just about everything you can put on it lift armor RTT I run 91 octane always I get 240 to to 253 miles a tank

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went from the original Honda Insight to a Prius. I bet I’m one of the only people that bought a Prius and my mileage got significantly worse. The biggest savings for me aside from driving slower on the highway that you’re doing, is all about maintaining momentum. Do a little more coasting to the red light, takeoff more slowly, those two things make a world of difference. In the Honda, I got really into it and would drive with slightly overinflated tires and a radiator block in winter, but I don’t recommend those things for our FJ’s. The scan gauge that somebody recommended is really good too to see how you’re doing, Both the insight and the Prius had live miles per gallon read outs, and you wouldn’t believe how bad it gets when you’re accelerating too quickly.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
First, the FJ is a heavy truck with an off-road stance, not an aerodynamic one. Your tires are not helping any and regearing will lower mpg even more as it will take more rpm to get hwy speed. Your best mpg will be to loose the tires and drive easier at less than 2k rpm, and start easing up on the gas before slow downs and stops.
Good luck and enjoy the best and most reliable jeep there is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found if I keep it at around 60 mph I will consistently get 19mpg with mine
285 Nitto on 18 wheels. 2 inch lift. nothing much else done yet

·
Registered
26 Posts
The day I lifted my 07 FJ, my MPG dropped like a rock. I have even posted in this forum about it. I tried the cold air intake, exhaust, but nothing really helps much. I have found that using octane boost helps a little more and keeping below 65 helps a ton. As soon as I go to 70+ I am at 10 MPG

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser #885/2500
75 Posts
Hi there,

I hope you can give me a piece of advice to improve my fuel economy in my 07 FJ Cruiser 4WD A/T Base, I'm struggling with its 12-14 mpg each time that I hit the road. I bought this truck for camping trips, long drives, 300, 500, 800, 1000 miles and it's killing me.

I've installed:

A set of 33 in mud terrain tires (I'll replace them for a 33-in Toyo Open Country AT III),
AFE 3 in exhaust system,
New spark plugs,
Cleaned MAF sensor,
Clean O2 sensors,

Even though it has improved on performance and torque, I still can see the fuel economy is bad, I'd say 14 mpg. I'm planning to regear it, probably with a 3.91 gear set for my 33 in wheelset but I was told that a 4.56 one is what I need.

I got an Oil Less High Flow Air Filter. Similar to K&N but with my snorkel I never ever replace or deal with oil it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2007 with 35” Mickey Thompson's, 165K, lots of lift, big ‘ol roof rack, stock gears. 12-14 is about right. Even taking it easy I’m around 13.7 and more often a little lower. I solo on a motorcycle honestly so that I have something with good mileage. Just part of the FJ game.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No one buys an FJ for mileage... enjoy and plan accordingly to fill up frequently 😂

·
Registered
328 Posts
Cruise control will cost you MPG's (unless it's the only way you can control your heavy foot ;)). It opens throttle wide and downshifts like hell to get you up hills and brakes to keep your speed going down. You can eek out a mpg or 2 through very disciplined pedal control.

Reactions: Little_Joe1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi there,

I've installed:

AFE 3 in exhaust system,
New spark plugs,
Cleaned MAF sensor,
Clean O2 sensors,

‘If you don’t like your mileage now, just put in those 4.56 gears! You’ll be crying.

I have an ‘07, basically stock, 17” wheels and All Terrain Michelin’s. No heavy bumpers, no big steel skid plates.

I get 16 mpg when all of my driving is in town And up to 21+ when I am all highway. In the winter I do a warmup, mainly to get the fluids moving.

I virtually never drive above 2,000 rpm, which is about 70 mph, except on an occasional pass.

As has been said many times on this site - pushing a brick through the wind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
With those tires on it, it’s probably a 4400 pound brick, traveling down the road. My move to big BFGs cost me at least 1.5mpg, alone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2007 FJ with 33's Falken Wildpeaks MT01 with a 2.5 inch lift. With poor gas mileage problems in these vehicle, I also carry a 4 gallon rotorpax gas tank incase. LOL! I cant not imagine what my miles per gallons will be after I install a front metal bumper.
Enjoyment is expensive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

I've installed:

AFE 3 in exhaust system,
New spark plugs,
Cleaned MAF sensor,
Clean O2 sensors,

[/QUOTEnormal 2nd mortgage size tank

·
Registered
533 Posts
I put mud terrains on mine once. Looked great but as you noticed, horrid mileage. I have a stock ‘07 and average 15.5 mpg. I have TK02’s on them (last 3 sets of tires) and the mileage did improve somewhat.

I drive a lot for work and the FJ has been my DD for 15 years now and the single greatest thing I have found to improve my gas mileage is drive the speed limit. That said I live in rural Michigan and thats a very hard thing to do. Our 2 lane highways are 55 mph and if you do 55, the police will even pass you lol.

best thing you can do for a little sanity is to not reset ur trip odometer every time you get gas and stop monitoring you fuel consumption 😂. Beyond that enjoy your ‘07 🥴😁👍

41 - 60 of 82 Posts