Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago i switched out my stock 265 tires for 285/70R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrains. I knew my gas mileage would drop, but it seems to have gotten worse than I expected. Does anyone know about how much of a decrease in the mileage i should be seeing?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It dropped about 30 mpg from 280-290 to 250-260. I've read some about the thermostat malfunction, but it seems like if that was the problem then i would be seeing other issues other than just gas mileage

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It dropped about 30 mpg from 280-290 to 250-260. I've read some about the thermostat malfunction, but it seems like if that was the problem then i would be seeing other issues other than just gas mileage
So true. When was the last time your MAF was cleaned ?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Sorry, typo. My bad. 30 mpg without owning a prius would be amazing. Do you think thats a reasonable decrease in the mileage?
Absolutely. 2 mpg seems a normal loss with the new tires. I clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) every 5,000 miles with CRC MAF cleaner. Takes about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Here ya go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the info Cogen Man. I've had a milage drop myself so I'll do this before I change out my stat.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went from 16 mpg city avg to 13 mpg after installing 33s

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
People, stop posting this video, it is somewhat incorrect(although not useless). The sensor that looks like a match stick is the temperature sensor, it reads the incoming air temp. See here for where to find the air flow sensor.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...441-maf-sensor-dirty-clean-3.html#post1158354

Some pics of the temp sensor and air flow sensor. Both should be cleaned.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...356-maf-sensor-maintenance-7.html#post1390580

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
People, stop posting this video, it is somewhat incorrect(although not useless). The sensor that looks like a match stick is the temperature sensor, it reads the incoming air temp. See here for where to find the air flow sensor.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...441-maf-sensor-dirty-clean-3.html#post1158354

Some pics of the temp sensor and air flow sensor. Both should be cleaned.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...356-maf-sensor-maintenance-7.html#post1390580
Yes you are correct. Believe me if you spray the cleaner all over the part you will get to the air flow sensor. So both will be cleaned.:simmadown:
And I don't see any harm in posting this video.

·
Registered
47 Posts
recently did a fill up.. last one on a full tank i only manage 231miles before the E light comes on. i figure maybe 40miles after that and thats mainly city driving, all stock 08tt +airdam

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have been keeping a milage log since day 1 and had averaged 17-18 mpg with A/T's,I just put on some KM2's 255/75/17 last month and now am only getting 14-15mpg. (and I clean my MAF every 3K)

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I just had BFG AT 285/70/17's installed and love the look. It completely transformed the appearance of the truck, but wow at the reduced fuel mileage! I was getting a solid 19.5MPG out of my 2010 4x4 and now it's getting only 15.1!

I'm seriously considering going back to my stock wheels and tires since I drive about 40,000 miles per year. That translates to an extra $1,794 per year in fuel cost, on top of the $3,000 I spent on a lift kit, tires and wheels.

I'm taking a road trip to Augusta, GA today and I'll see if backing down from my usual 75-80MPH to 65-70MPH gets enough of my mileage back to keep the new tires on.

I've put bigger tires on all kinds of vehicles from Jeep CJ's to Ford Diesel F-350's and I don't think I've ever seen a 4.4MPG hit by going up about an inch on tire size!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts