Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will vary on driving conditions and other factors but befor I bought my fj everyone told me how they were gas guzzlers.

My fj is stock, is 4x4 and has 134000 miles the only maintenance I can verify has been a transmission flush and oil change. On my first tank I got 203 miles, after I filled up with 93 for the last 3 fill ups it's gone up each time. I'm up to 253 miles on my last fillup

What's even better is I have yet to change my plugs, clean the maf or throttle body. Or any other maintenance. Hope to get everything caught up next week.

Just wondering is 250 average or pretty good. I was expecting much worse.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
“Miles-per-tank” isn’t a useful unit of measure of fuel consumption since it has so many unknown variables in it; that’s why “miles per gallon” is universally used.

And any miles-per-gallon values need to be corrected for the tire diameter if you are running anything other than the standard tire size.

So next time you fill up, zero one or both of your trip meters. At the next fill, calculate actual MPG. You’ll need to do this for at least 3-4 tanks to get a reasonably accurate average.

If you are running a tire that’s significantly different in diameter from the stock tire, you’ll need to multiply your “distance travelled” by the appropriate correction factor (diameter of your current tire divided by the diameter of the OEM tire).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
... also: AT or MT, mostly highway or around town, is your altitude relatively near sea level, are there large hills in your daily commute

By the way, the tank "holds" 19 gallons, but the gauge reads E, and the light comes on, at somewhere around 15 gallons, wasting almost 20% of the possible range.

The charcoal canister is pretty expensive, so I've learned to not try and squeeze in any more fuel after the nozzle clicks off. The system is supposed to prevent raw fuel getting to the canister, but it can happen.

FJgonzo, I get around 240miles per tankful, because I get around 13mpg, but that's because its MT, I've added mudflaps, a roof spoiler (for a roof top box that's only sometimes on), and a supercharger. A stock AT FJ can get 19~21mpg, but after making mods, and adding a lot of deadweight (batteries, cabinets, refridge, aftermarket bumpers, bigger wheels& tires, it goes down, down down.

Norm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, I just filled up and zeroes out yesterday. My fj is completely stock, stock tire size, automatic transmission, and at sea level here in Florida

Also thanks for the heads up about the gas tank, I thought it was odd that I was running till the light came on and it would only take 15-16 gallons. I thought that was a really small tank for this vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
... also: AT or MT, mostly highway or around town, is your altitude relatively near sea level, are there large hills in your daily commute

By the way, the tank "holds" 19 gallons, but the gauge reads E, and the light comes on, at somewhere around 15 gallons, wasting almost 20% of the possible range.

The charcoal canister is pretty expensive, so I've learned to not try and squeeze in any more fuel after the nozzle clicks off. The system is supposed to prevent raw fuel getting to the canister, but it can happen.

FJgonzo, I get around 240miles per tankful, because I get around 13mpg, but that's because its MT, I've added mudflaps, a roof spoiler (for a roof top box that's only sometimes on), and a supercharger. A stock AT FJ can get 19~21mpg, but after making mods, and adding a lot of deadweight (batteries, cabinets, refridge, aftermarket bumpers, bigger wheels& tires, it goes down, down down.

Norm
How hard was it to install a supercharger?

I too had an issue with my evap canister. It kept throwing an LDP code. I scavenged a canister from a 13 Corolla. It bolted up and the electrical connections matched up. Toyota loves parts bin engineering. The canister was slightly shorter so mounting it was a bit tricky but it works.

If ya want mpg, get a Prius. It’s still way better than my Power Wagon.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
"How hard was it to install a supercharger? "

I bought one of the last TRD kits left, back in 2015, and had my dealer's master tech put it in.

Today you can get a kit from Magnussen (the company that made the TRD kit), either for an '06~'09 (and now for a '10~'14).

N

·
Registered
194 Posts
Now that it is warmer weather here in MD, I am getting 17.2 mpg. Winter is always less (16.1-16.6mpg) I have a lift and 92 lbs of wheel/tire on each corner so that doesn't help. When I was stock, I was getting high 17-19 mpg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts