Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone! as far as gas goes my manual says premium.. but i have been told lower grades are ok too! what should i be filling up with?

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
You can run regular or premium. Powerwise, it makes very little if any difference. You might get a little less MPG with regular but you can check your mileage and see if one makes more sense than the other. Bottom line, don't sweat it ! Then again, don't go switching back and forth with every tank forcing your computer to adjust every time you fill up.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
You can run regular or premium. Powerwise, it makes very little if any difference. You might get a little less MPG with regular but you can check your mileage and see if one makes more sense than the other. Bottom line, don't sweat it ! Then again, don't go switching back and forth with every tank forcing your computer to adjust every time you fill up.
Have not tried it with my FJ but with my '89 Four Runner it was cheaper to buy the 91 cuz I got that much better mileage than with the 87 octane.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: Gas?? How long 'til computer adjusts

Good point about switching back & forth, regular to premium & v.versa.

Anyone know how long til the computer adjusts, or is it almost instant?

If it takes a while, it could make it difficult to compare mpg for different grades of gasoline.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I run regular when I have a highway trip and premium when I drive in the city. But yes, you can run either premium or regular according to Toyota.

·
Registered
599 Posts
With the increase in gas price (and you Americans ain't even close to us Canadian smucks yet!), I switched to premium (91+) octane and the mileage is better (I record this religously) and the FJ just seems to run better. I get more bang out of my gas money. Really, its only a couple of dollars more per fill and I get more mileage. It works out to the better.
Try it for your self, a couple of thousand miles on each and see. Yeah, regular won't hurt and I got many of miles on that, but premium is just that much better!

·
Registered
499 Posts
With the increase in gas price (and you Americans ain't even close to us Canadian smucks yet!), I switched to premium (91+) octane and the mileage is better (I record this religously) and the FJ just seems to run better. I get more bang out of my gas money. Really, its only a couple of dollars more per fill and I get more mileage. It works out to the better.
Try it for your self, a couple of thousand miles on each and see. Yeah, regular won't hurt and I got many of miles on that, but premium is just that much better!
I haven't tried this on the FJ, but I know it was true in my 350Z the loss in gas mileage was enough to justify the premium fuel. I actually just switched to regular about 4 tanks ago and I think the truck seems a bit sluggish now and doesn't run as smooth. I am going back to premium after this tank(which I filled up last night) and see if that fixes the problem. I am about ready for my 30K mile tune up too, so that will probably smooth things out abit as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well since I joined the forum a while ago I have read more posts about gas octane then just about any other. I would have to agree with a few on this one by adding I choose to run 93. I filled up the other day, took a hair over 10 gallons. I did a quick calculation on how much I would have saved if I ran regular. The difference came to $1.80!..... for better mileage and performance I will continue to run the good stuff.
Once gas hit's the $5 a gallon mark, and that's closer then we probably think, I'll garage the FJ more often and get back on my bicycle :bandit:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I run regular 87, and it runs just fine. As for performance wise, you really can't tell the difference between regular and premium on the hwy, and maybe just a little difference in the city.:D

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i run the good stuff tried mid grade for a couple tanks and my mileage dropped about 2 MPG
but it ran the same, no noticable difference

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's awfully hard for me to compare grades of gas. Even with the same gas, pump, etc., the mileage varies 1-3 mpg. I try to drive the same, but different routes have different hills, traffic, etc. So, I just don't know here which is better for cost vs. mileage. In normal street/highway driving, don't notice a difference in power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts