Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow FJ'ers. I thought you might all want to be aware of a relatively uncommon problem (so far) with Toyota's platstic gasoline tanks and the new E-10 gasoline (not) that's being peddled to we American consumers thanks to a bunch of moronic lobbyists.

Attached is a picture of what is left of my fuel pump and tank filter screen. Notice the little white dust particles. That is what is left of the liner of my gas tank according to Daytona Toyota.

They say it's bad gas...too much ethanol. My insurance company fortunately is picking up the tab as Toyota in California's corporate headquarters claims this isn't their problem.

Just want you all to be aware of what you are putting in your tank these days.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Don't tell this to the E-85 proponents and those selling the "conversion" chip so that you can run the ethanol based fuel in the non-compliant FJ fuel system. It just might prove what many of us have been saying all along, they fuel system simply isn't designed to run the highly corrosive ethanol based fuels.

Glad to hear that your insurance is helping out and hope it all comes together again for you...

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Protected document, says I need a password, but I assume it's pretty bad. I have been running premium since day 1 and now this, most of the premium around is e-10. Great!!:flame:

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys, the pdf file should now be un-encrypted. My bad.

Please let me know if any other members have has similar issues...

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
that sucs and another load of BS, toyota never put any statement or warning not to use e10. and supposedly e10 is compatible with all vehicles. Hmm doesnt seem to be the case. I think you should fight this one or at least get a TSB going on it. Thanks for the heads up. How hard is it to get in to take a look at this thing??

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
so what is he saying, we should only use shell and exxon gas to prevent this? I did notcie we have hot spots the cheaper ones and their pumps say contains ethanol.. some fill me in, if this is true what is good bad and ugly thx

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
that sucs and another load of BS, toyota never put any statement or warning not to use e10. and supposedly e10 is compatible with all vehicles. Hmm doesnt seem to be the case. I think you should fight this one or at least get a TSB going on it. Thanks for the heads up. How hard is it to get in to take a look at this thing??
In fact, it says that E10 is compatible. So, if this is the case, it definitely should be covered by warranty...

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the history:

My 2007 FJ had just returned from Cape Hatteras, NC on an on/offroad excursion. On the way up, I used Chevron Techron 93 octane. No probs. On the return trip, I opted to put some credits on my BP Amoco card since I hadn't used it in a while. Last 7 fillups were BP and methinks they are the problem. Me & Toyota and my insurance company have yet to prove that.

I was also using a fuel additive known as CA-40. Post-testing of my contaminated gasoline showed no calcium deposits which were previously supspect.

Initial problems ocurred after most recent top-off at an Altamonte Springs, FL BP gas station..."BP Connect." Had a weird experience there. They wouldn't allow me to fillup my tank even after presenting my BP Business credit card. I smelled a fish and asked them for $10.00 worth plus a bag of beef jerkey.

A day later, my girlfriend and I go out for groceries and my brand-new 17,180mile FJ is now bucking like a rodeo bronco and starving for gas. The lights on the dash are now lit up like a holiday christmas tree and I'm now cussing in veritable four-letter adjectives.

4 visits in as many days to Toyota of Daytona and they've now had the vehicle for over 3 weeks! New gas tank is backordered in Tokyo!

I'm currently driving a Yaris courtesy of the Dealership, Thank you Daytona Toyota. At least they have some courtesy considering they are not covering my $1,600.00 in damages under their warranty. Thank god for insurance. This had me really bummed out.

Beware BP and the Ethanol scam. Last I read on the many web blogs, this stuff has a shelf life less than 2 months! Is Toyota missing something here as well???

Stay tuned.

Camerax

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
...they fuel system simply isn't designed to run the highly corrosive ethanol based fuels.

+1

Ethanol is highly corrosive to many materials, including many types of plastic and rubber (lots of o-rings in the injectors and fuel system).

E10 is mandated here in Texas by our brilliant state legislature, at least in certain counties deemed to be polluted or metro areas.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1

Ethanol is highly corrosive to many materials, including many types of plastic and rubber (lots of o-rings in the injectors and fuel system).

E10 is mandated here in Texas by our brilliant state legislature, at least in certain counties deemed to be polluted or metro areas.
Warren was so Right!

CMX

·
Registered
614 Posts
It sounds like just another big conspiracy, manipulating the people (us peons).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have seen this before! CAMERAX there is a product made to stop this from happening. It is called "RED-KOTE" and it is a fuel tank liner system. sold in quarts for about $35.00. Tell the dealer to stop putting you on hold! This will fix the tank until they get your parts in. Some people with AUX. rear fuel tanks should be using this as well. Aluminum fuel tanks with gasoline are prone to this problem as well. This liner system has worked for 18 years in my old jeep.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why did you post it as a pdf...why not just post a jpg...are you a mac user???

Anyways, I believe all cars must be able to accept E10, as almost all fuels have E10 in it... IMO Toyota should have covered it, but am glad for you that you insurance did.
As a matter of fact, I am a Mac user. Any problems Mr. PC???

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have seen this before! CAMERAX there is a product made to stop this from happening. It is called "RED-KOTE" and it is a fuel tank liner system. sold in quarts for about $35.00. Tell the dealer to stop putting you on hold! This will fix the tank until they get your parts in. Some people with AUX. rear fuel tanks should be using this as well. Aluminum fuel tanks with gasoline are prone to this problem as well. This liner system has worked for 18 years in my old jeep.
I will take this under advisement. I am very paranoid at this point as to what fuel to use, additives etc. I will be consulting my dealer for any input and post the results on this site as information becomes available. Thanks for the tip and I will be actively pursuing this as I am very concerned about this issue.

Camerax

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
E10 is slow or fast death for or gasoline engine in. Avoid it at all costsl It will soak up water if you have bad gas; just add a cup to thre tank
Kroger just sent s mseesge saying that they did not use Ethanol amd th BP sysyions that see aomoc do not use ethanol, altho some other BP's (nor amoco stations do

coists
+1

1 - 20 of 36 Posts