Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gaspe is a peninsula in eastern Quebec that sticks into the Atlantic Ocean roughly northeast of Maine and North of New Brunswick. My wife and I went there from CT in the FJ for 10 days in August to explore and scope out possible future trips in the area. No camping, no cookouts, very civilized this time.

Being a peninsula, Gaspe is surrounded by water. The internet is filled with pictures of the coast and how beautiful it is so I won’t get into it. Yes, it’s beautiful. But in the central part of the peninsula, there are mountains. The extreme northern end of the Applechain Mountains to be exact. I spent about half the time on my trip there exploring the mountains. Hoping to find stuff that was interesting enough to attract me back.

The mountains are filled with logging roads. They reminded me of the logging roads in Maine. Most of them are well-built and well maintained gravel roads wide enough for logging trucks to share. Good for speed but not very interesting. Cars could handle them. And since the roads were built for logging, they led to very few scenic areas, summits, old towns or historical stuff. Most roads led to where the trees are. That’s it.

I did see lots of interesting unpaved trails going off the logging roads. Explored a few. Some interesting driving but nothing technical. Some of them you wouldn’t want to be on if you hate mud. The trails I explored were lengthy and a nice challenge but I didn’t find anything interesting on them.

By the way, what’s interesting to me is when I explore off road and encounter forgotten history – ghost towns, abandoned mines, camps, that kind of thing. And it’s nice to get in a few scenic views too. I found a few places like that. And a couple of mines. And lots of abandoned real estate that was not historic. But not enough of anything to get excited about.

I had a great time on the coast of Gaspe. The food was great, the scenery was terrific and the people were friendly. Lots of history on the coast too. But my trips into the mountains were more boring than I had hoped.

It took me 3,000+ miles and 10 days to check out Gaspe. The time I spent on the coast was great and made it worth coming back. Next time, we will take my wife’s convertible. And we won’t spend much time in the mountains.

I considered including a few pictures from my trips into in the mountains of Gaspe. But we’ve all seen trees, haven’t we? We all know what a gravel road looks like, don’t we? We all know what an FJ looks like, right? So why bother?

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
clip clip I considered including a few pictures from my trips into in the mountains of Gaspe. But we’ve all seen trees, haven’t we? We all know what a gravel road looks like, don’t we? We all know what an FJ looks like, right? So why bother?
Thanks for the report. Your talking about and area I have no knowledge of. I'm in NW Oregon. Pictures are always good :smile

Not only leaving out pictures but I've been leaving out posts about rides I've been doing this summer. Rides I've done before. I'll correct that decision, posts and pictures.

It took me 3,000+ miles and 10 days to check out Gaspe. The time I spent on the coast was great and made it worth coming back. Next time, we will take my wife’s convertible. And we won’t spend much time in the mountains.
Got me curious about what your wife's convertible is? Off road capable? Or you sticking to the pavement?

Again, thanks for the trip report. Now off to Google to see what it looks like. grin

Edit: Yes a beautiful place. I can see why it took 10 days..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a few pix of Gaspe that are worth sharing. I'll have to put them up. My wife's car is a Buick convertible that is about as un-offroad worthy as a car can be. The most enjoyable parts of that trip were on pavement. And would have been even more enjoyable without a roof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts