Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last summer I killed my stock pulleys for the second time. After looking on here I decided to get a set of Gates pulleys from rock auto as a replacement and put them in. They worked great till last week, when one started up with the oh so familiar whine. The funny thing was I haven't been in any significant water sense I put them in.

I was wondering how these were holding up compared to stock for other people as I'm not sure I will be using their product again.

Thanks for the feedback guys.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Did you replace all 4? if so then I would check and make sure the spacing is correct and they are tight and turning freely.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you replace all 4? if so then I would check and make sure the spacing is correct and they are tight and turning freely.
I did not replace all four because I did not like the spacing of the tensioner pulley and decided to replace it with a stock one, that said all my idler pulleys are gates (both uppers and the lower double) they are torqued to spec.

All were turning freely including the one that was screaming. It was toast, do grime more like the grease got out somehow. It was only on there for 15k miles give or take so I am suspicious of their durability.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I have had all 4 for about 50k miles and have had no issues with them. Much better that the Toyota ones.

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
This might seem like a silly question, but do you power wash your engine compartment?

DEWFPO

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This might seem like a silly question, but do you power wash your engine compartment?

DEWFPO
I do when I get mud in there but like I've said I haven't been wheeling much since I put them in. I honestly could have been to the car wash once or twice.

I've been far more abusive to stock pulleys in the past but do you think this could have done the job?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Going to watch this thread ! Need to replace my stockers for the same whiny reason and already have them in the shopping cart. I have read by others on here that they are better because the bearings are "sealed" better than stock. Just bumping this really

1 - 7 of 7 Posts