Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This really puts the TOY in Toyota. They're trying to market its rugged nature by stating they mixed it with "monster DNA"... looks more like "Hello Kitty" DNA... totally gay looking. The premise and concept underneath it all is excellent... a rugged, bare bones, off road machine for a younger (and frugal) crowd... but stylistically... come on, seriously!? And now, the changes they've made for production is taking more of it's rugged nature away (front and rear winch, spot lights, roof rack bars, etc.) I want something I can throw my muddy ass bike in the back or sand covered feet... forget the 10 level temperature control and carpet... where's the rubberized metal with drain plugs!? Lose the excess frills, we want a Jeep-Killer... That vehicle has been successful for decades and it doesn't even have glass windows, let alone power locks, and/or other unnecessary touring crap. "Cruiser" is right, because that's what its being built as, a street cruiser for yuppie kids that will only ever engage the 4 wheel drive to go through an unpaved gravel driveway... where's the river forging original mountain climber for the non-pussies!?!? Toyota (and other manufacturers) need to stop surveying the elderly retired folks with hip problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sheesh, sounds like you got a real chubster going for this vehicle. Chill out, if you don't like the final product, don't buy one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am "chilled"... just voicing my opinionated comment... which is what this site is for... so instead of giving me the valuable insight of not buying something that I don't like, try rebutting the criticism that you find offensive. Do you honestly think that the front grill looks tough? It reminds me of the Neon commercial some years ago when the car said "Hi". I understand that this is reminiscent of the original FJ40, but that's about the only style que that they kept (yeah yeah, rounded back windows and a white roof, great). I commend their desire to make a functional machine, but the style is lacking aggressiveness. It's an SUV with a flat windshield, so its obvious we're not going for areodynamics, why not give it the boxy rough edges as the tough original FJ40 (and other tough vehicles like the hummer, wrangler, discovery, cherokee, etc.)? I'm just tired of manufacturers trying to market "off road" machines, when their engineering is directed for on-road applications. Off roaders want something with a low center of gravity, while maintaining high ground clearance... though every SUV on the road is top heavy and tall because of tall van-like seats. Off road, doesn't mean a smooth dirt road, it means rock climbing. And like I said earlier, the extra functional options that made it quasi-tough to begin with (on the concept) they're slowly taking away, yet keeping the large ass body style. Have you seen the Cross Rover, some stupid off road vehicle trying to be imported to the states, but the thing comes with a million off road options (including a snorkel!!) for under 25k. It's rust in a year, but it looks tough as hell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whatever. You can rest easy that between your two posts, I am sure that Toyota is now clear that you don't want a gay looking vehicle because you are not an elderly ***** with a hip problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, again, very insightful... thanks. Good discussion. My orginal comment was based on 1 of their 2 professional auto reviewers who stated the Xterra was too tall and hard to get into... it's an SUV for godsakes! Anyway, stop writing if you haven't a retort or informative response to add... this isn't a bantering IM chat site, it's a discussion forum. Are you pleased with the manufacturer altering the concept, do you like the look, what do you think about elec. locking rear hub diff., unremovable roof, etc. etc.? Discuss.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speaking of which, the height reminds me of the old Dodge Raiders, anyone have a link to a Dodge Raider site, I want to voice my displeasure. Come to think about it I hate carrots too, any carrot forums out there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, more sarcastic bantering chatting... welcome. Doesn't forum mean open discussion? Seems everyone is soooo offended by me pointing out the fact that the thing looks super gay and that every girl that I've talked to says "that thing is cute, I'm getting one". So don't get me wrong, I've been waiting forever for Toyota to bring this vehicle back as a tough utility vehicle... and I'm getting fairly concerned that it's starting to lean into the safe small-suv female market... ala Rav4 and Ford Escape. Boy, I hope that they put 6 different side curtain airbags and 9-way adjustable seat/stearing adjustments so that we can all safetly get to the grocery store in the rain... luckily we might not even need to engage 4wd because now their looking at making it AWD. Neat! Sure hope it has supersized cupholders and a lipstick compartment... oooo and lighted vanity mirrors would be just fantastic!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I really do hate carrots, lol. I don't think anyone is getting offended by your opinion, I certainly am not. I just think it is funny you would take the time in searching for, registering and then posting on a forum to point out the point of interest of the forum is "gay". To me that's fucking funny. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The forum isn't gay, the vehicle looks gay... read more carefully. I'm hear to discuss opinions and try to understand what people are looking for in this vehicle and why they like it despite the fact that Toyota is marketing it as functional, yet deleting all of its functional options. The vehicle has a history that Toyota is ruining. It's kind of like Jeep taking away the 4.0I Cherokee to replace it with a 3.8V taller thinner Liberty, a less capable smaller girl car. If everyone accepts the idea that they don't have a voice and Toyota doesn't listen to public discussion, then we'll end up with a gay Mini/Element design for the FJ. Sad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
chubster said:
The forum isn't gay, the vehicle looks gay... read more carefully. I'm hear to discuss opinions and try to understand what people are looking for in this vehicle and why they like it despite the fact that Toyota is marketing it as functional, yet deleting all of its functional options. The vehicle has a history that Toyota is ruining. It's kind of like Jeep taking away the 4.0I Cherokee to replace it with a 3.8V taller thinner Liberty, a less capable smaller girl car. If everyone accepts the idea that they don't have a voice and Toyota doesn't listen to public discussion, then we'll end up with a gay Mini/Element design for the FJ. Sad.
I will immediately rebut your gayness assesment. I know many gay males and they wouldn't touch the FJ with a 10 foot pole. They think it is garrish and goofy looking. I have not taken a poll amongst lesbians however.

And regarding your wish for a rock climbing vehicle, yeah - they're probably about 5 people in each of 12 or so states that really want to plunk down 25K+ for a rock crawler. I'm sure that would sell a lot of Toy's.

Now get your chubbie backside out of this forum and either go hike up those rocks or buy a Wrangler Rubicon. :p

·
Registered
204 Posts
Chub is fucking obnoxious, of course, but he does have a point.

I would far prefer a very slight update to the original FJ40 or, dare I dream, FJ55 body style, with a new engine and an updated, but extremely spartan, interior. Exposed metal, analog everything, including toggles for half the functions on the very flat dash. And a metal Oh **** bar. Hell, while I'm at it, I'd like it in a deisel so I can run it off of biodiesel as well.

But wishing doesn't make it so, and the FJ is the best option we are going to have for a non-wrangler smallish masher. There will be solid front axle conversion kits fairly soon after release, and the IFS will be reasonable for light-to-moderate wheeling. In fact, I'd bet its a week after release that we see the first Rubicon pictures out.

There is an awful lot I'd change about the FJ if I was in charge. But I'm still going to get one.

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think a lot of guys are hung up on comparing it to the original. Things change. I had a 78 FJ40 and loved it. Would I want to buy a new truck just like the FJ40 now? No way. Too much of a head ache, great trucks in their time, but now a combo of off road and daily driver is what I'm looking for. My FJ40 was amazing off road, but **** as a daily driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That's all I'm saying, it seems like they're missing some of the major utilitarian ideas that the public first loved about this thing when it was initially unveiled. I don't know if you guys saw the pics of the interior, but besides the obviously too futuristic NASA seats, the rest was bare and rugged, with even the metal frame showing through, ala Lotus Elise... they announced and marketed the attraction to literally hosing the thing out with water... now I hear that they are thinking of leather seating with plush carpet... I'm just confused as to how they're marketing it... if it's primarily a road car with basic 4x4 ability, like every other SUV that never gets dirty, then why are there spot lights, big lift, and 33 in tires? And with those options and more, why would you want leather seats?

But I do love seeahyena's comment that even all his gay friends think the thing is too goofy looking. Classic. I missed the 25k+ comment though, are you saying that is too much for a rock climbing vehicle? You think only 5 people out of every 12 states bought a Rubicon?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The seats in the concept are not going to be the seats in the production model. It will still be simple but not so folding patio seat like. There is a rendering of what the interior will look like floating around the net.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Kuldip said:
The seats in the concept are not going to be the seats in the production model. It will still be simple but not so folding patio seat like. There is a rendering of what the interior will look like floating around the net.
Source?

Cheers,
prat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok time for me to chime in.

As a very Hetero 34 y/o recently married Male. (Army, Firefighter) :) I say that it does not look gay.

I think if we saw it in any other colors than "baby blue" that fact might even be proven.

I think it has certain "rough" qualities. Has some "hummeresque" qualities and certainly will lend itself well to the aftermarket.

(Did I really just use the words "Hummeresque and gay in the same post?)

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Regarding seats, I am hoping for a high quality vinyl/letherette type material. I am disappointed that toyota is also offering a 2wd version of the FJ. Kind of like chevy putting out a 6 cyl. vette. If I had my way, I'd say one version (no SR5, or off road or whatever packages) only with 4wd, skid plates etc., with only a handful of options like a winch or a fancy stereo. But I will be surprised it this haqppens since toyota seems to love all the packages, like on the new tacoma.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts